Scrambler Restoration Questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scrambler Restoration Questions

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

My point is I would start with mods that are known upgrades to the model you are wanting to upgrade,not whats trendy on other models that are newer and start with different parts. Case in pont, I would not presume a durango box is a better piece of hardware than a J20 saginaw box without research,other than giving you hydraulic steering assist capability.I would rather buy one coupling extra to get a better unit,which is the original intent of the "upgrade", than buy a inferior unit to save an extra part,especially since you could most likely get all the required parts from one donor.An "upgrade" is only and "upgrade" if the parts are better and stronger,not only convenient.My point is making sure your making a better more durable vehicle,not just easier to drive.And I whole heartedly agree in the need to add power and discs regardless of others experiences,It would be my first order of business as well.As a matter of fact,when I shopped for my rig,I specifically shopped for power pre-installed to save me the trouble of modding,but thats harder with the scarcity of 8'S.Just to be clear,I'm not arguing, just want to make sure you get what your goal is for your cash investment.I am looking forward to following your progress, cheers:-)

B.

Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
reundo
1982 CJ8 

Quick update here. So far I have replaced the engine mounts and performed the team rush upgrade. Since I had the really crappy 2.73 gears, the scrambler is now in the shop being re-geared to 4.10's. I was talking to the guy at the shop and he offered to put the brakes and new shocks in for free since he already had to take most of the stuff off to rebuild the axles.

I bought all new brake parts and shocks last week, but after I talking to the mechanic I decide to just let him do it so I would have more time to write my thesis. I stayed stock with the brakes and shocks. It was dirt cheap to buy the reman parts so I couldn't justify changing anything at the moment.

And after a ton of trouble getting a power steering pump bracket. (big issue with the seller off ebay) I am about ready to start my power steering installation. I decided to go with a J20 steering box and I am hoping I can get the J20 pump to work too.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will be trying to get a build thread started here this month and I will post a link to it on this thread.
reundo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications , restoration , scrambler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.