scrambler questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > scrambler questions

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
newjeeper899

scrambler questions

Hey all- I'm new here and just starting to get into jeeps and wheeling. Right now I'm looking at a Scrambler thats for sale in my home town. I was just seeing if anyone had any advice on what to do with it, I mean besides a lift and all. I have heard cutting the back foot out of the bed to give it clearance along rocks and ditches, and it would give it more stability with keeping the longer wheel base. Any ideas or comments with this idea? My other question is how hard and where is the best place to find information on swapping the stock motor with a 383 small block I'm building?

Like I said, I'm new to this whole scene, and any information would be helpful..

newjeeper899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

1) Welcome aboard
2) Best site for Scrambler specific stuff: www.cj-8.com
3) When starting any project you have to figure out what *you* want...how you plan to use it, what you want it to look like, etc.
4) If the back of the tub is in good shape, leave it alone. Bbobbing has absolutely nothing to do with stability, it's only to trim off the rear overhang. Scramblers are fairly rare & valuable, so hacking up one that's in good shape isn't the greatest idea.
5) Check out Novak and Advance Adapters sites for info on Chevy V8 swaps...pretty common stuff, just costs a few bucks to do it and usually means that you have to start upgrading/replacing parts downstream of the engine to handle the power.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

If you want a shorter Jeep, buy a CJ7 or YJ. Please don't ruin a CJ8 - there's not that many of them left.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
newjeeper899

ok cool. thanks. like i said i was just starting to look around and found a scrambler. The information i got was from the guy selling it and i wasnt sure if that would be a good idea or not. I knew they were rare, thats kinda why i was asking too. again thanks for the info.

but what do you guys think of swapping the straight six for the 383? Doesn't the inline make better torque at lower rpm's? This is probably going to be used for a daily driver for the most part so I'm looking at it from both angles..good power off road, but something that isnt going to cost an entire paycheck to drive for 3 days.
newjeeper899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
happydog
1984 CJ7 

I would keep the 258 cu in engine. They are strong engines with a lots of torque and will run a long time. My 84 with the 258 still has the original 2 piece axels and transfer case, etc.. Makes a great DD. I have a waggy with a 401 I thought about putting into the CJ7, but why create more work, more money spent, and more problems with the big engine. Don't mess up the scrambler.

"After all, it is the slave who thinks himself a free man who makes the best slave." (Unknown)

“A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood”. Chinese Proverb
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.