SCRAMBLER PEOPE - HELP PLEASE ->A Scrambler and Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > SCRAMBLER PEOPE - HELP PLEASE ->A Scrambler and Towing

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
SomerJeep

SCRAMBLER PEOPE - HELP PLEASE ->A Scrambler and Towing

ok so I have a very nice nearly stock scrambler. it sports a chevy 305 that is powerful and a beautiful motor. I am currently running 31" tires, T5, power brakes, open differentials that are wide tracks and 4.10 gears. I am curious if this vehicle would be good enough to tow a vehicle (jeep wrangler etc for 100mi usually on a flat road)? There is no lift but to compensate for the power and low gearing I was thinking about lifting it and putting 33's on it but since I want to use it to tow that might not be a good idea. I often pick up jeeps as a hobby and the one thing I really don't have but need badly is something an old truck, diesel or gosh how about this powerful scrambler I just picked up. If I equipped the scrambler with the right hitch and left the 31s on would I be ok with the wheel base, power plant and power brakes?

I was thinking about buying a flat bed trailer or a tow dolly but not sure which one would be best for me? perhaps the tow dolly because its a lot easier to store but its harder to tow with. Any suggestions

SomerJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
TheJunkMan2005
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say go for it. Consider finding out if anybody makes air bags for the rear to assist with the tongue weight.

How to tow it is the hard part. A trailer would be the most stable, and it would have it's own brakes. But would add nearly 1000lbs to the total weight.

A tow dolly is also good, but if you turn too hard of a circle, you chance messing up the side of the jeep. I've done that a couple times with my tow dolly. Turn too hard, and the dolly fender goes into the side of whatever is on it. Another plus is that the good tow dollies come with brakes. Very little tongue weight. Easy to load, just as long as the wrangler drives.

Flat towing is also acceptable. Although you will totally rely on your vehicles brakes. Good thing is that there is no tongue weight. Bad thing would be flat towing something almost as heavy as your scrambler, might have the chance of pushing your scrambler around in a panic stop.

Good luck.
Unread 06-08-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
John N
1981 CJ8 

Do the math, 3k to 4k lb. Jeep being towed on a trailer, dolly or flat by a Scrambler that weighs about the same, maybe a little more. Throw in very marginal brakes (power or not) on marginal stock axles (20 rear with 2.72 or 3.31 gears) and a T5 transmission. You're asking for major trouble and I own and drive a Scrambler. Sorry...not the answer you wanted. The only thing you can tow safely is something like a small utility trailer (I have a 5x10) or a small boat.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
SomerJeep

4.10 gears, t5, 305V8 31" tires

I used a Jeep cherokee 1996 with 3.55 gears, automatic trans, 4.0L and 28" tires to pull a CJ7 30 mi home going 40-45 one time and it was interesting just because towing with a dolly is so much different then a flat tow because that thing jerks you around on the dolly.

so would it work or not? it sounds like not but you never know - I would say the most would be 60 mi going 40-45mph max.
SomerJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
fisher836
2008 JK Wrangler 

You could do it. If you flat towed or dolly it you would be ok. Throwing in that extra 1,000lb trailer will not be good. You won't want to do it on a daily basis, that's for sure. but a 100 miles a few times a month, you would be ok.
Unread 06-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Not a good idea...not particularly safe and the T-5 really isn't up to snuff. We all 'know somebody' who has towed with some wacky setup and been okay (the guy I bought my Scrambler from towed it home with his YJ). It's not a matter of planning for the best case, it's planning for trouble. On a perfect day under the right conditions, you could get away with this. Throw in some rain and/or heavy traffic and/or 1 or 2 idiot drivers and/or a big pothole or some other road hazard and/or a little inattentiveness taking a turn/curve too fast and/or a big gust of wind and you have a recipe for disaster and almost no chance of pulling yourself out of it. I know of people who have totalled both of their rigs because one little thing went awry. Every step up improves your safety margin...bigger tow vehicle, add a dolly, replace the tow dolly with a trailer, trailer brakes, weight distributing hitch.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
TheJunkMan2005
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My ultimate suggestion. If you're a jeep fan. Get yourself a J10 with a 360, or a wagoneer with the 360.

If you're a cheap fan. Get yourself an older chevy truck. 2wd, v8, 1/2 ton. If it's only for car hauling, who cares what it looks like. Plus if you're trying to get a good deal on buying cheap jeeps, then you should also consider that an old beat up truck will give you some more bartering power, than showing up in a built up scrambler, or a nice pretty tow rig..

But, I still think your scrambler would work for light stuff. Just a full size truck would be better.

Len

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.