Scrambler with MC2100 and HEI having issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scrambler with MC2100 and HEI having issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 12-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Scrambler with MC2100 and HEI having issues

Hey guys,

I am driving this around diagnosing some issues for a buddy of mine:

anyway, it has an HEI and MC2100 that came on it. the carb was rebuilt in 2012 (or remaned as per the sticker on it) and it came with the HEI already installed.

Stock 258 motor but it has a CAI to accommodate the carb.

the throttle will stick for a second at WOT and the e-choke sticks sometimes.

but the biggest issue, is when you try and get on the gas, it falls on it's face. My guess is it's when the secondaries kick in it's falling on it's face. It always smells rich. And it runs great at 1/3rd throttle. you can drive around all day not lugging the engine. But as soon as you hammer into it, it just won't go. It'll keep running... sometimes it'll chug, spit, go flat, but it'll keep running.

Im thinking about running through the carb again, but i wanted opinions. My 85 with a MC2100 ran like a raped ape compared to this thing.

It does have the vacume advance hooked up to the distributor. I haven't tried ditching that yet. And it has the EGR valve on the manifold (also not hooked up to anything).

it's been tuned up more than once with plugs and wires trying to diagnose (before me).

anyway, it runs rich. a lot. it falls on it's face when you get on it. And it sometimes will sputter and die when lugging the motor and have to sit before it'll restart. It all sounds like over fuel to me.

Any thoughts before i go through the carb? Should i look at a fuel pressure regulator and gauge to see where i'm at?

Unread 12-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Check vacuum first.
Unread 12-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
Hbryant123
1979 CJ7 

I would say check the timing and make sure it is where it needs to be, for my 304 its 8 degrees before top dead center. I have had alot of mc2100s apart and messed with them alot. Running rich i believe can be the Power valve being busted from a back fire, which may have been caused by incorrect timing. On the front their is the two idle mixture screws, if you can screw them in without the engine dieing that is an indication the power valve is blown. I would also check the pump shot to make sure it is working well and is adjusted in. I dont think a mc2100 has secondaries, i think you may be talking about a quadrajet.
Hbryant123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
CSP

Yes, the 2100 won't have secondaries. A secondary is on a carb with multiple venturies that one (or two) open before the other(s). A non-double pumper 4bbl carb for example. Q-jet is one of many of this type.

Sounds very much like a vacuum leak or bad power valve to me.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 10:09 AM   #5
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbryant123 View Post
I would say check the timing and make sure it is where it needs to be, for my 304 its 8 degrees before top dead center. I have had alot of mc2100s apart and messed with them alot. Running rich i believe can be the Power valve being busted from a back fire, which may have been caused by incorrect timing. On the front their is the two idle mixture screws, if you can screw them in without the engine dieing that is an indication the power valve is blown. I would also check the pump shot to make sure it is working well and is adjusted in. I dont think a mc2100 has secondaries, i think you may be talking about a quadrajet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Yes, the 2100 won't have secondaries. A secondary is on a carb with multiple venturies that one (or two) open before the other(s). A non-double pumper 4bbl carb for example. Q-jet is one of many of this type.

Sounds very much like a vacuum leak or bad power valve to me.
Thank you guys.

after a little more research i think this is a mc2150 because it has the fuel return line.

can a blocked return cause issues like this since there's no FPR?

Thank you for walking me through this.
Unread Today, 10:27 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Have you tried running with the gas cap cracked open. This makes sure the gas tank vent hasn't been messed with or has a dirty air filter on the bottom of it. (Charcoal canister)
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 10:33 AM   #7
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Have you tried running with the gas cap cracked open. This makes sure the gas tank vent hasn't been messed with or has a dirty air filter on the bottom of it. (Charcoal canister)
no, i'll give that a shot
Unread Today, 11:01 AM   #8
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

interesting... this carb apparently is the 1.23 venturis...

i'm wondering if it's too much carb for the stock motor... some threads say their stock 258 runs like crap with the bigger venturis, some say it's fine.
Unread Today, 11:33 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Well, its a V8 carb right. I haven't heard of them working well on a stock 6. Might be the issue. Too much in and no place to go.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:44 PM   #10
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Falling flat when you stomp on it is almost exclusively Accelrator Pump.

From a standing start,
Or idling rolling start with a manual transmission,

If it chokes right away for a second, then takes off,
It's a late pump shot.
The Accelrator pump linkage in most cases (but can be the pump/diaphram) simply isn't adjusted to start the fuel into the carb fast enough for the amount of throttle opening.

It can also be an internal valve letting fuel escape back into the float bowl instead of being forced into the Venturi bores of the carb.

-----

If it tries to take off, then falls on its face,
The pump shot isn't lasting long enough.

This is usually one or both of two things,
The linkage is already partly depresses, so the pump is partly through its stroke when you start, and can't deliver a full duration fuel shot,
Or the internal valve in the Accelrator pump is letting some of the fuel back into the float bowl.

Short pump shot (Duration) can also be caused by weak spring in the Accelrator pump.
The spring/diaphram is what refills the pump when you let up on the pedal,
So weak spring or old/stiff diaphram will short the pump duration by not fully refilling the cavity there is supposed to be fuel in.
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.