Scrambler Lift - OME vs BDS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scrambler Lift - OME vs BDS

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
mtrdud
1984 CJ8 

Scrambler Lift - OME vs BDS

I'm getting ready to add a small lift to my 84 Scrambler. I will be using a set of widetracks from an 86 CJ7 and I have basically narrowed my lift choices to either the BDS CJ lift kit or the OME YJ spring conversion that they offer. I'm not only looking for a little lift, I want the better stability of the widetracks and a better ride quality. I am really curious about how the wider YJ springs do on the front. I have a heavier Chevy 350 drivetrain in my Scrambler so that is also a concern.

I am not so much concerned about going "cheap" so the $ factor is not as big of an issue as is doing it the way I want it up front to get the best look combined with good ride quality and durability.

Any experience with a similar set-up would be appreciated.

mtrdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

OME is a softer ride, BDS a bit more stiff (not harsh). With a heavier drivetrain, the BDS may be the better choice. Both are good quality.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
SCJeepr
1982 CJ8 

I woud suggest while you are at it to reverse the front springs. It makes all the difference in the world ride wise.
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think it's generalizing to say OME is a "softer" ride. OME offers 3 different spring rates in the 2.5" lift springs. If you run a hard top, doors, winch, heavy bumpers, etc..., then the HD version is the way to go.

I put the 2.5" OME YJ (Heavy Duty) leafs all the way around my CJ7. With a hard top and doors, and a heavy Warn winch, it rides better than new, but I would not call it a "soft" ride.

The YJ springs are a little more difficult to install, since you have to move the front shackle brackets forward about an inch, but that only improves the ride, and is well worth the effort.

OME also offers different shock rates to match your spring selection.

I don't have experience with BDS, but they get high marks from those who have, as well.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
mtrdud
1984 CJ8 

OME Lift

Matt,

Your comments are sort of in line with what I'm thinking. I feel that this may be the best choice for not so much of a "soft" ride but a solid stance and ride if that makes sense. Also, with using the DANA 44 I will need different U-bolts for that correct?
mtrdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

Yes, the Dana 44 needs different U bolts because the tubes are thicker than the 20. I don't think the SBC is much heavier than the I-6 if any at all. It's within a few pounds, I remember seeing the weights on a Post here or somewhere at one point. I'm going with BDS when I change out my springs this winter

SBC350,T-176,D-300,D44
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.