JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Scrambler as a DD? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/scrambler-dd-1299859/)

dkg4244 12-10-2011 09:20 PM

Scrambler as a DD?

5 Attachment(s)
Hey all, I recently stumbled upon a nice 83 Scrambler that's been essentially abandoned on campus for the past three years. Every time I walked by it I would stop to check it out. I was able to dig up the owner's name and I emailed him. He's interested in selling it to me. It looks like it's either got a 4.0 swapped in or it has a 4.0 head on the 258.
What do you all think of a Scrambler as a DD with a 5-speed, hardtop, and A/C? It's from Arizona and has no cancer rust, just some surface rust here and there. It also looks like it's got 82,000 miles on it. I'd be selling my XJ and replacing it with this.

Here are some pics

Rollbar 12-10-2011 09:24 PM

Mine is a DD.

Check out the link.

http://www.street2mud.com/albums/M17...3188.sized.jpg

http://www.street2mud.com/albums/M17...3187.sized.jpg

WindKnot 12-10-2011 09:27 PM

Nice looking Jeep. Does it have front locking hubs?

Rollbar 12-10-2011 09:29 PM

Yep, '84 CJ8 w/a AMC 360/TF-999. (Spare 258/T-176 in garage)

You can look @ the build thread. Almost complete.

halpeters 12-11-2011 05:57 AM

There is no reason why a a CJ could not be used a a daily driver... Back when they were new, people drove them every day, and it isn't unusual to see CJ's in junk yard pushing 200,000 miles.

Some things to consider:

1. The CJ needs to be in good condition, not one that has been on the trails for the last 30 years - finding this is the hardest part.

2. Jeeps (and all other 30 year old vehicles) need regular service and maintainance. If you are going to DD a CJ, set a maintainance schedule and stick to it. Wheel bearing service, transmission oil, axle oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, every 12,000 miles, grease everything every 3000 miles, change oil every 3000 miles, etc. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor every year or so, change hoses and belts, rebuild carb every couple of years, etc.

3. carry a basic tool kit, and spares, and know your vehicle, and how to work on it.

4. Buy the best parts you can find: Timkin bearings and Spicer u joints, the best NAPA parts for service and replacement.

5. Know YOUR CJ, because nobody else will. Keep a list of part numbers, so the next time you need something, you can order by number, not by application.

6. FOLLOW your maintainance schedule, and not waiting for something to break.

Don't let any of the above listed items scare you, it really isn't hard to keep a well maintained vehicle on the road.

Area.3.Fiftyone 12-11-2011 07:09 AM

I would buy that one in a heartbeat if the price was right.

If you don't please let me know what he is asking for it.

dkg4244 12-11-2011 08:56 AM

I'm not afraid of keeping up with the maintenance on this thing. My only concern is that I frequently take long drives of 3-4 hours going back and forth to school and weekend mountain bike trips in the summer. The XJ serves this purpose decently well, as it has seating for 5 and is relatively mild mannered on the street. The only CJ I've had is a 59 CJ5 which was not very DD friendly. I would assume the Scrambler would be great with its 103" wheelbase, similar to the 104" of my XJ and a 5 speed mated to the 4.0 or 258 with 4.0 head for highway cruising. I'm just a little hesitant giving up that aspect of the XJ.

whodatsCJ7 12-11-2011 09:04 AM

Hurry up before somebody else tries to get it. It looks like it's in great shape.

Pathkiller 12-11-2011 09:58 AM

Mine's a DD. Requires more maintenance than a 2011 vehicle would, but that's the price you pay for driving the coolest Jeep ever made. You also hear "hey, cool Jeep" almost daily from total strangers.

halpeters 12-11-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkg4244 (Post 12655592)
I'm not afraid of keeping up with the maintenance on this thing. My only concern is that I frequently take long drives of 3-4 hours going back and forth to school and weekend mountain bike trips in the summer. The XJ serves this purpose decently well, as it has seating for 5 and is relatively mild mannered on the street. The only CJ I've had is a 59 CJ5 which was not very DD friendly. I would assume the Scrambler would be great with its 103" wheelbase, similar to the 104" of my XJ and a 5 speed mated to the 4.0 or 258 with 4.0 head for highway cruising. I'm just a little hesitant giving up that aspect of the XJ.

The Scrambler will drive much better than the CJ5 - longer wheel base, probably power steering and power disc brakes, radial tires, doors, top, radio, possibly a/c, carpet - all the creature comforts.

The Scrambler will have as nice of a ride as your XJ, but as long as you stay with tires close to stock, no crazy lifts, and make sure the suspension is tight, and GOOD seats, it will be a nice truck to drive down the highway.

walkerhoundvm 12-11-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMaiden (Post 12655297)
in a heartbeat

Key words that answer the question. My 8 is a fair-weather driver, which is 80% of the time in Colorado.

dkg4244 12-11-2011 09:41 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm getting all exciting planning this thing out in my head. Would be a very nice buddy to my 55 Willys pickup.

SCJeepr 12-12-2011 09:35 AM

I wouldn't think twice about driving my 8 to California and Back if need be. Start looking for a full soft/hard top. The added room is really nice and then you will have the coolest passenger vehicle ever created.

addicted2dunes 12-12-2011 09:39 AM

That is one of the cleanest 8's I've seen, the frame and floorboards look immaculate! How much is he asking? If you tell us that we can let you know if it's worth it. Also, does it run?

Pathkiller 12-12-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2dunes (Post 12661657)
That is one of the cleanest 8's I've seen, the frame and floorboards look immaculate! How much is he asking? If you tell us that we can let you know if it's worth it. Also, does it run?

It is, but it needs to be protected ASAP! It's shocking how quickly a light surface rust can turn into a serious flaking rust issue. If this Jeep isn't saved it will be in sorry shape in a few years.

The time now is 10:07 AM.