scrambler 4 cylinder power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > scrambler 4 cylinder power

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-23-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
redd7

scrambler 4 cylinder power

I am building a a 1980 scrambler. I t will be an around town mostly jeep. My question is does the origunal 4 banger have enough power? My son will be driving this in a few years so I don't want a hot rod , but I just found that it was rated at 82 hp and 125 lbs of torque. That sound kind of sad.
It came with a 4 speed manual, can anyone give me any information regarding what transfercase it would have.
My plan is to install a new frame, 3-4 inch lift with 32 inch tires with a fiberglass body. And ideas or feed back welcome.
Thanks

redd7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #2
liver156

congrats on your new jeep:
1980-1986 came with dana 300 transfer cases. if you are pulling the tub off there will never be a better time to replace the engine. i think the amc 258 will mate to the transmission without adapters. if you are going to run 32 inch tires i would suggest a motor with a little more hp.
liver156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
meich75

I agree. The Scrambler is kinda big for a 4 banger, especially with 32's. The 258 is a good durable motor with plenty of torque but not a lot of speed for when your son drives it.
meich75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
twmattox

I have a CJ-7 with 31's, and an AMC 150. The 4 cylinder is fine for almost everything, if geared correctly and built well. I am in the process of adding a Weber carb, Clifford header, and upgrading the ignition. These should help with a little more power. Currently, I have trouble with long uphill grades (I drop speed a little), towing more than 2,000 pounds, and heavy headwinds. However, I have dirven this on the interstate (one hgour each way to work) for over 4 years and never had much of a problem keeping up with traffic.

The Scrambler is a little heavier and 32's a little bigger. These may pose a problem for the 4-cylinder. Additionally, your 4-cylinder may be the Iron Duke (Pontiac not AMC).

The largest problem I have run into with the 4-cylinder is parts. There were 2 different types of 4 cylinders (the Pontiac 151 and the AMC 150) that were used in the early 80's. Additionally, the AMC 150 was used in this configuration for 84, 85, and 86 only. Sometimes I need to buy parts for a newer 150 and adapt them (oil sending unit for example). Nothing I haven't been able to overcome yet...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
Jeepbeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmattox
I have a CJ-7 with 31's, and an AMC 150. The 4 cylinder is fine for almost everything, if geared correctly and built well. I am in the process of adding a Weber carb, Clifford header, and upgrading the ignition. These should help with a little more power. Currently, I have trouble with long uphill grades (I drop speed a little), towing more than 2,000 pounds, and heavy headwinds. However, I have dirven this on the interstate (one hgour each way to work) for over 4 years and never had much of a problem keeping up with traffic.

The Scrambler is a little heavier and 32's a little bigger. These may pose a problem for the 4-cylinder. Additionally, your 4-cylinder may be the Iron Duke (Pontiac not AMC).

The largest problem I have run into with the 4-cylinder is parts. There were 2 different types of 4 cylinders (the Pontiac 151 and the AMC 150) that were used in the early 80's. Additionally, the AMC 150 was used in this configuration for 84, 85, and 86 only. Sometimes I need to buy parts for a newer 150 and adapt them (oil sending unit for example). Nothing I haven't been able to overcome yet...
we own a iron duke 151 4 cylinder...NEW! It is a 2.5 liter. The new engine is strong!.Lots of power..dont let it fool you. the gearing is perfect. It does great on the highway..dang good on gas..and climbs almost anything (easy) lol. Its a work vehicle too..but so far ..after restoring it since last fall 2003, I wouldnt dare add any more to beef it up..it's economicaly fantastic.
View this RESTORED 1982 cj 7 151 at this link and click on blue links to see just what they are made of...im so glad we documented our efforts as we restored this fine jeep..
http://members.cox.net/aphelion79/jeep

Last edited by Jeepbeeper; 06-24-2004 at 11:59 AM..
Jeepbeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
twmattox

I agree that 4-cylinders produce enough power, if geared correctly. I also agree that they are excellent on gas (I get over 20mpg with mine). However, I am opting to "beef" mine a little to help with freeway travel in less than perfect conditions. As I indicated, I run into a little trouble with long uphill grades and with wind. I am hoping that the Weber carb, ignition upgrade, and header will colve this without causing too much of a strain on the mileage issue. I have also been told that these engines can gain considerable power from a mild cam increase...not sure I want this though...
Unread 06-25-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
dvbum
1982 CJ5 

4 cylinder power

I have 82 CJ 5 with the 151 Iron Duke engine. The engine was rebuilt at 105,000 miles. I added the Clifford Performance intake manifold, 38 DGAS Weber and Hedman Header.
dvbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2004, 05:31 AM   #8
nickdz

I've got a little different view of the 151 "Iron Duke." My jeep is a 1980 CJ-7 that used to have a 2.5L GM 151 "Iron Duke" mated to an SR4 4-speed tranny. I've got to admit that I was very fond of the "Iron Duke" for its reliability and economy (I ragged the heck out of it trying to get it to move the jeep and it kept on going). And I do agree with its overall performance being a direct function of how well the engine is maintained and the vehicles overall gearing. In my case, the jeep was lifted ~3 inches and had 33's. The engine was supposedly overhauled 10K miles ago and was in good condition, but gearing was not condusive to this set up.

I was not able to keep up with traffic on the highway and found the lack of power a severe problem in everyday driving (to the point of being unsafe).

When it came time for me to do something about this lack of power, I opted to swap out the engine and tranny for a more powerfull set up. While the "Iron Duke" seems to have somewhat of a faithfull following, I personally would not recommend it. I would suggest a 258 maybe. Those are relatively inexpensive to find a rebuilt one.

Just my two cents.
- Locked All Around
- Mastercraft Seats
- Durabak Interior and Exterior
- KargoMaster Cage
- Way too many minor repairs/upgrades to list (emphasis on "repairs")
nickdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2004, 12:10 PM   #9
Jeepbeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdz
I've got a little different view of the 151 "Iron Duke." My jeep is a 1980 CJ-7 that used to have a 2.5L GM 151 "Iron Duke" mated to an SR4 4-speed tranny. I've got to admit that I was very fond of the "Iron Duke" for its reliability and economy (I ragged the heck out of it trying to get it to move the jeep and it kept on going). And I do agree with its overall performance being a direct function of how well the engine is maintained and the vehicles overall gearing. In my case, the jeep was lifted ~3 inches and had 33's. The engine was supposedly overhauled 10K miles ago and was in good condition, but gearing was not condusive to this set up.

I was not able to keep up with traffic on the highway and found the lack of power a severe problem in everyday driving (to the point of being unsafe).

When it came time for me to do something about this lack of power, I opted to swap out the engine and tranny for a more powerfull set up. While the "Iron Duke" seems to have somewhat of a faithfull following, I personally would not recommend it. I would suggest a 258 maybe. Those are relatively inexpensive to find a rebuilt one.

Just my two cents.
Good info and very correct...when you change your set up with mudders..lifts and low gearing differentials; ie: for climbing abilities), I greatly agree with you when it comes to driving on the highway.
As recent as yesterday..my son and I drove 183 miles in his standard cj 7 jeep 151 iron duke, and couldnt contain a safe speed over sixty miles per hour..with the large dirt/highway tires
we had on. They hold 30 lbs. of air max filled. But we found her
doing (everything) the other jeeps did, with exception of large steps where the big boys with lockers and very low gearing out did us as we watched in complete amazememt; their awesome
abilities climbing steep steps over a foot high!
Can you tell we just came back from the rock trails in Randolf, Kansas?
Any whoot..the iron duke is not an agressive climber..BUT if you want to drive it back home 183 miles..you know to take careful concideration when trailing and NOT ABUSE it. We stayed in 4 low lock in first gear, and found NO trail we could not climb
stated as: (WALKING HER UP), VERY steep hills over a block long.
While we enjoyed the hell out of it, and experiance non-the-less,
Yes it would be nice to beef her up, and you can.. with the following;
Lockers...reverse spring lift, taller tires, and with that set up, you can follow and even OUT do the big boys.
The 2.5 liter engine is great with this combination.
visit our site at http://members.cox.net/aphelion79/jeep and
look for the link of trails visited..you will see a brown TJ with a 4 cylinder that out did the big boys in every single climb..and it is a four speed manual.
His jeep is like a freaken tonka toy wound up , and let go, and will climb anything in its way...even an almost vertical climb over 40 feet high.. I witnessed it last night!
It's not what a jeep should do, it's what you want to pay to have it do..because ANYTHING is possible with posi rear and front axels.
amen
lol

Last edited by Jeepbeeper; 06-27-2004 at 12:13 PM..
Jeepbeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #10
twmattox

One final thing on 4-cylinders. When my friends are looking into buying Jeeps, I recommend 4-cylinders. Mainly for 4 reasons. First, they are a little cheaper (up front) than comprable 6 and 8 cylinders. Second, their torque and horsepoer are less, meaning that less stress has been placed on driveline parts. Third, most people who have owned them (at least around here) bought them for the fuel economy and weren't planning on much trail use, meaning even less stress on driveline. Finally, they typically came, stock, with a lower gear ratio. When they buy them, if they feel like they need more power, an engine upgrade is relatively simple...

4-cylinders are not for everyone. However, I would have to debate a long time before I upgrade...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.