Scout dana 20 vs jeep dana 20 (internal gears) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scout dana 20 vs jeep dana 20 (internal gears)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
pityocamptes

Scout dana 20 vs jeep dana 20 (internal gears)

I have a '74 scout II with the amc 258 and t-18 4 speed. I thought that the jeep forum might be able to help me out since I can't find anything on scout dana 20's. I recently bought a scout dana 20 to swap out with my crappy single speed transfer case. I talked with a tranny shop in california who has performed gear swapping in the scout dana 20 to get a lower crawl ratio. From what I understand jeep dana 20's have the following internal gears:

input - 18-8-23
intermediate - 18-5-9
bottom- 18-8-24
bottom - 18-8-22

My question is does the scout dana 20 use these same gears? If not does anyone know what gears the scout uses? Trying to get my ducks in a row before I rip into the dana 20 I have now. Want to make sure I know what goes where before disassembling it. Any help or links would be appreciated. i have tried some of the scout forums but I don't think anyone knows. thanks again.

pityocamptes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Well, I have a spare Dana 20 on the shelf out in the "shop"/garage. It came from an auto 1979 Scout II....so I'm missing the input section found on the manual versions, but did get the "bull gear" from the end of the transmission. Anyway, I have it as a spare for my 75 CJ-6. Short of taking it apart, is there an easy way to found out the info you seek? I would think the gearing would be the same, but who knows.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
pityocamptes

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj
Well, I have a spare Dana 20 on the shelf out in the "shop"/garage. It came from an auto 1979 Scout II....so I'm missing the input section found on the manual versions, but did get the "bull gear" from the end of the transmission. Anyway, I have it as a spare for my 75 CJ-6. Short of taking it apart, is there an easy way to found out the info you seek? I would think the gearing would be the same, but who knows.
Thanks. I figuered that I would have to tear into the thing eventually. Seperated the parts out and found a schematic of the transfer case. I found that the Scout Dana 20 does not have the same gears. Not even one. I guess I'll be looking to buy some. Thanks again.
pityocamptes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2004, 11:19 PM   #4
CSP

I've swapped parts a few times between Jeep and Scout Dana 20's. I've never paid any attention to the numbers stamped on them. So far, I've found everything to be interchangable. The only difference I've ever seen is the shifter towers aren't the same.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.