scout 44 swap steering. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > scout 44 swap steering.

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 11-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

scout 44 swap steering.

I'm getting my scout 44's ready to go in. Got the inner c's off today, the spring pads for the rear, shock tabs, and aussies are in the mail. I've found a wealth of information about how to set up the front axle itself, but very very little on steering setups. I'm gonna get it under the jeep and kind of see where I'm at, but I'm also looking for input from anyone who has done the swap. I haven't decided if I'm going to use the scout outers or my d30 outers. I don't even know if I can use the scout outers without interference. I have the scout tie rod and drag link, also my dana 30 tie rod and drag link are in good shape. So what have you guys done? Any advice? Pictures of your setup would be awesome.

60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Been considering the same swap myself. I've been told that it's better to use the D30 outers rather than keep the ones from scout. I've also read that you will need to move the steering box forward to keep the pitman from hitting the tie rod. Either way, you are going to need to modify the drag-link and maybe the tie rod to the proper length.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
CSP

Look at the Scout knuckles and compare the length of the steering arms to the CJ D30 arms. They are crazy long! Use the CJ parts and the knuckle arm length will be matched to the CJ pitman arm length and you won't lose valuable turning radius.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Look at the Scout knuckles and compare the length of the steering arms to the CJ D30 arms. They are crazy long! Use the CJ parts and the knuckle arm length will be matched to the CJ pitman arm length and you won't lose valuable turning radius.
That is why I had my doubts when it came to using the scout outers. I'm more interested in what people are using drag link and tie rod wise. Does anyone know if the scout tie rod will work with the d 30 outers? And I don't believe my cj drag link will be long enough.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
CSP

As long as the hole diameters are the same they will work. I know that the taper is the same on both.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.