Scout 44 steering - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scout 44 steering

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
CSP

Going to Ford wheelbearing hubs does add 1" total to the WMS width. The reason is the wheel mounting surface relative to the inner bearing isn't the same between Chevy/Jeep six lug wheelbearing hubs and Ford wheelbearing hubs. Been there, done that.

Not sure why anyone would let steering be the reason to keep the 30 outers. They are the same as Scout D44 outers. With real D44 outers like you find on fullsize Jeep/Ford/Chevy you get a stronger internal hub, cheaper brake parts, and a larger diameter/stronger stub axle. Drag links/tie-rods are easy to make and pitman arms can be swapped if necessary.

What problem are you talking about No BS in regard to Chevy/FSJ knuckles? What do you think that people who swap in Chevy or FSJ Dana 44s do? Never had any problems with any of the Chevy/FSJ D44 swaps that I've done.

CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
I am in the process of doing this converion too DT5150 do you have any pics od your steering set up? I would like to see how you went about using the d30 steering? well any help would be greatly apprecaited thanks

basically just removed the scout outers, pulled everything i needed off the d30 and installed it on the scout 44. this is the only pic i have..

Unread 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #18
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT5150 View Post
basically just removed the scout outers, pulled everything i needed off the d30 and installed it on the scout 44.
Is your Scout 44 narrowed?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #19
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

This is my crossover steering setup on a scout D44 axle. You can see that the drag link is almost horizontal. I went to a lot of effort to keep the leaf spring mounts very close to the axle tubes. This makes it easier for the tie rod and drag link to go over the springs without hitting them. The last picture is how I mounted the drag link to the pitman arm with a special aircraft grade steel bolt I got from Speedway Motors. That bolt has a 5/8" bolt on one side and a tie rod taper on the other side.

foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #20
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

The problems are when you stay SUA and do not go high steer. The 44 knuckles have a longer steering arm on them, and only one hole each, putting the tie rod further forward, and making it necessary to mount the drag link to the tie rod, not the knuckle. Compound that with the need to run a Waggy pitman arm, which is also longer than the stock one, and the tie rod/drag link start to get way out of wack (drag link is actually behind the tie rod. In my case, with a 2.5" lift, the suspension could not move because the drag link joint on the pitman arm was resting on the tie rod. Now, with a 6" lift, there would be clearance between the two but I've never seen it done. But, with stretching the front 2" and moving the box forward 1.25", my guess is that the tie rod would be somewhere around 2-3" in front of the pitman arm. Not to sure how that would affect steering geometry for the road.
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #21
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

wow, lots of great info in here - glad I posted this up now. I appreciate everyones feedback......

Soo with this being said, if a person had to choose, which would be the easier of the swap? I don't have to stretch the front, but my steering will be 1.25" further ahead then stock (regardless to of what I do with the axle)

Waggy 44s or Scout 44s - its sounding like the Waggy may be easier to do. Again the two sets of axles I am look at are about the same, though the scout ones are about $150 more (due to the front ARB I assume).
92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

If you can get an ARB for $150 then that would make my decision. Of course there is a lot of paraphenalia that goes along with making an ARB differential actually function.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #23
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well the waggy has a locker - just not selectable, which is no biggie to me. Another plus is the waggy's are a few hours closer - another plus. If the waggy's are a little easier to swap in I would prefer that, in fact I was almost set on getting them awhile back, and then these scout 44s popped up (that's what started my original question - lol).
92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.