Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7 - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #811
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper we on the forum all know you have "Super Human Strength", however it is not related your arms or any such component of your body! Witness the gum tree incident when you were younger and recently the gettin a Pepsi gave you musskles a fit, I could go on and on.

You do however have the strength to talk the chicken off the bone. Now if fixin things was effected by your voice you would be by all means my hero.

In the mean time I would get two gorillas and a small boy to help you out and the added benifit would be able to help you to your feet when you happen to get stuck in a chair or on the ground which does seem to happen quite a bit!.

gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #812
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I just use the feel of how much effort the impact takes to remove the big nut and use the same feel for how much effort to have the impact reinstall that nut.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #813
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I just use the feel of how much effort the impact takes to remove the big nut and use the same feel for how much effort to have the impact reinstall that nut.
Impact Zen!! I like that, Rick. Maybe I should pay more attention.

So I used my impact, and in a Zen-like moment, removed the pinion nut. The yoke slid right off. Chucked it up in my bench vise. Got out my 1/4" - 28 tap. Started cleaning the threads from the backside, thinking I could just spin the broken bolt right out that way. The tap is gently buried in the yoke. I reposition the yoke in the vise. I shift my feet slightly, inadvertently applying sideways torque to said tap. And I broke it off in the yoke.

*******************!*********!*******!!*********** *!*********!!!

And I am no user of curse words! But Dear Heaven I had to walk away.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #814
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Skipper we on the forum all know you have "Super Human Strength", however it is not related your arms or any such component of your body! Witness the gum tree incident when you were younger and recently the gettin a Pepsi gave you musskles a fit, I could go on and on.

You do however have the strength to talk the chicken off the bone. Now if fixin things was effected by your voice you would be by all means my hero.

In the mean time I would get two gorillas and a small boy to help you out and the added benifit would be able to help you to your feet when you happen to get stuck in a chair or on the ground which does seem to happen quite a bit!.
Beth got a kick out of this George. Made her laugh outright! I think she will be smiling the rest of the day. Thanks, Buddy!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #815
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

THANK YOU, RICK!

Rick (Cutlass327) has shipped me a yoke for my pinion. Should be here in a couple days. I have been running on a borrowed yoke! Rick, I appreciate it sincerely. Thank you, My Friend!

Unread 08-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #816
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

No problem! Like I said, that axle is either to be parted out or scrapped, might as well put it to good use!

Anyone else need parts from a NT AMC20?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

Unread 08-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #817
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I know the feeling. You're being extra careful turning the tap in a little at a time and things are really going good then it tightens up just a little and you give it just a little extra twist then all of a sudden the tap handle and shank of the tap are in one hand and the rest of the tap is left in the threads. Yes I have done that, many times.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #818
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I know the feeling. You're being extra careful turning the tap in a little at a time and things are really going good then it tightens up just a little and you give it just a little extra twist then all of a sudden the tap handle and shank of the tap are in one hand and the rest of the tap is left in the threads. Yes I have done that, many times.
Not even that, Jim. I was moving the yoke 90* in the vice, just changing the position. I had my hand on the tap handle, resting it there, making sure the tap handle didn't fall off. I shifted my feet, moved sort of sideways while holding onto the tap handle, and *SNAP*. I wasn't even TRYING to do something stupid!

Unread 08-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #819
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Not even that, Jim. I was moving the yoke 90* in the vice, just changing the position. I had my hand on the tap handle, resting it there, making sure the tap handle didn't fall off. I shifted my feet, moved sort of sideways while holding onto the tap handle, and *SNAP*. I wasn't even TRYING to do something stupid!
Kinda like the time I had my reading glasses in my shirt pocket and leaned over near the toilet. Yep they fell in.
Unread 08-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #820
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Kinda like the time I had my reading glasses in my shirt pocket and leaned over near the toilet. Yep they fell in.
Better glasses than camera!! (wish I had a stick!)

Unread 08-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #821
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Better glasses than camera!! (wish I had a stick!)
I'd tell you how to steal sticks but then you'd know my only secret
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #822
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611

I'd tell you how to steal sticks but then you'd know my only secret
Truth be known, there's only 4 sticks in Perry. I'll bet that makes them really tough to steal. Your the man Jim!

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #823
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper seems to me you test these laws all the time!

I DIDN'T BELIEVE THESE LAWS AT FIRST, BUT HAVE FOUND THEM TO BE TRUE FROM ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.
Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

Law of Gravity - Any tool, nut, bolt, screw, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.

 Law of Probability- The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Law of Random Numbers - If you dial a wrong number, you never get a busy signal and someone always answers.

5.Supermarket Law - As soon as you get in the smallest line, the cashier will have to call for help.

Variation Law -If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now.

Law of the Bath - When the body is fully immersed in water, the telephone rings.

 Law of Close Encounters - The probability of meeting someone you know increases dramatically when you are with someone you don't want to be seen with.

 Law of the Result - When you try to prove to someone that a machine won't work, it will.

 Law of Biomechanics - The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.

 Law of the Theater & Hockey Arena - At any event, the people whose seats are furthest from the aisle, always arrive last. They are the ones who will leave their seats several times to go for food, beer, or the toilet and who leave early before the end of the performance or the game is over. The folks in the aisle seats come early, never move once, have long gangly legs or big bellies and stay to the bitter end of the performance. The aisle people also are very surly folk.

 The Coffee Law - As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.

 Murphy's Law of Lockers - If there are only 2 people in a locker room, they will have adjacent lockers.

 Law of Physical Surfaces - The chances of an open-faced jam sandwich landing face down on a floor, are directly correlated to the newness and cost of the carpet or rug.

Law of Logical Argument-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

 Brown's Law of Physical Appearance - If the clothes fit, they're ugly.

Oliver's Law of Public Speaking- A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy-As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

 Doctors' Law- If you don't feel well, make an appointment to go to the doctor, by the time you get there you'll feel better... But don't make an appointment, and you'll stay sick. This has been proven over and over with taking children to the pediatrician.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #824
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Rick... I received your yoke. IT IS BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you so much. I am back in business.

Unread 08-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #825
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Good! It's going to a good home, you're welcome!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.