Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7 - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #796
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Chunk womp Ching???

What happened sir?!?!
Sounds Chinese, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenicwalker View Post
...I don't think I wanna know...

Praying you catch a break soon, buddy...
No kidding! What's next? Wait... forget I asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
What happened, the radio started blaring out a new rap song?
I hate rap, and I don't have a radio... yet. And one of the two country music stations just turned into a talkie station. Radio pickings are slim around here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Sounds like you picked up a piece of metal and blew a tire?
Nope. Nothing that glamorous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Keep guessing guys, here's a hint. It's longer than a loaf of bread.
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboater View Post
Sounds like a classic U-joint vs. Skinny Pedal outcome to me...
My skinny pedal doesn't have enougn gonads to do anything!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Is that King size, Sandwich size, or Pumpernickel? Cause Pumpernickel comes in the smaller short loaf's ya know.
Ahhh... Pumpernickel. I love Pumpernickel. Haven't had that in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Run over your own muffler and blow a tire?
That's a good guess Rick, but essentially the same guess as last time. I don't think you should play Jeopardy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I'm guessing he dropped the driveshaft. Been there done that, twice!
Awwwwwwwww.... Mike. You were peeking!

Quote:
Scott told me he lost the straps on the AMC 20 axle yoke. He didnt say if the bolts came out or broke.
So it wasn't actually the u-joint. I'm sure he'll have a good story to tell.

Bill

Bill
One of the strap bolts BROKE off in the yoke!! HOW!? Slung my new U-Joint cups to hither and gone! Glad it didn't hapen on my way to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
at least COIZ had fun breaking his!
Yeah... WISH that I could claim something as good as Mike twisting his driveshaft into a pretzel, but, alas, I am destined to be a tortoise!

So, with no warning, no clues, and no idea it was about to happen, my U-Joint popped out and started banging the bottom of my tub. Scared the ever-loving hoosey outta me! I did a quickie U-turn in the intersection and pulled off in the grass. Then, like so many other veteran Jeepers, I crawled under the Jeep. No wrenches small enough to remove the strap bolts, and no way to hang it up with a bungie, so I started walking the 2 miles to the house... just a good stretch of the legs, afterall. An "around-the-corner" neighbor pulled up in his Dodge truck and drove me home. He proceeded to tell me how he and my idiot next-door neighbor thought I had been poaching deer (if you remember, my neighbor called FWC on me because he had a dead deer in his yard a year or so ago, in which FWC came into my home and inspected my small caliber rifles, in front of my wife and kids. it was humiliating!). But then he ended up with a dead deer in his yard too, and his other neighbor's horses were poisoned!!! WHAT!?!? What are you talking about? At least I wasn't accused of that. This guy is like my idiot neighbor, and they have become fast friends. Good. They deserve each other. It strikes me that the people who have no gumption, no ambition, no goals, no desire, no motivation to do right, ALWAYS end up in poor circumstances, blaming everyone else for their misery. After he dropped me off I got Clay to run me back in the golf cart. I removed the DS, and with expert advice from "Uncle Bill" I limped home in FWD. I think it is funny... I don't talk with these guys. I don't wave at these guys, and yet I am supper conversation! At least he gave me a ride home.

Gentlemen... thanks for making me laugh!! Ya'll are great!

Picked up new U-join and straps this evening from AZ. Hope to have them back on tomorrow. Guess I'll have to drill oout the broken bolt.

What yoke do I need to to convert to u-joints instead of straps? D44? And why did the bolt break? I have worn out 35s with worn out 2.73 gears.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #797
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Uncle Bill's wag. The bolt was over torqued, or possibly just fatigued. Soak it with kroil, and use a reverse drill bit. A small amount of heat wouldn't hurt either.
Don't forget to replace the seal.

I'm not sure on the 44 yoke. I would order a new one for a 20, from one of the usual places.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:14 AM   #798
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Any need for any parts off a 78 NT AMC20 other than the yoke? I had the left wheel bearing fail, and the axle shaft is bent there, but the 3.54 gears and carrier should still be good, and the yoke is for the u-bolt design u-joint retention system... 11" drums, newer shoes but the left ones are kinda cooked, Wheel cylinders replaced within the last couple years still good... Housing is questionable, as the bearing failed and I never tore it apart...

I've tossed around scrapping it, but I hate to let good vintage parts go to scrap... I'd rather part it out whole or in pieces.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #799
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Believe I'd have turned down the ride and walked home.

I like this
"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #800
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Here is a price list for various sounds.
Yours isnt listed could be costly.
sign.jpg

gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #801
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra
Here is a price list for various sounds.
Yours isnt listed could be costly.
They forgot the most expensive sounds of all..

Click click click click. Click. Click. Click click click..

That's the sound of typing on the keyboard looking for a jeep.
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #802
lukenicwalker
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1611
believe i'd have turned down the ride and walked home.

I like this
"contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —samuel adams
amen!!!
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #803
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I knew you would like that, Jim. Thought of you when I posted it!

George... where'd you find that sign? That's hilarious!

I got under the Jeep when I got home from work. The broken bolt boogered the female threads a little. The broken bolt would turn easily inside the yoke, but I couldn't get it past the boogered threads. Tried a chisel and hammer, punch and hammer, small screwdriver and hammer. Tried drilling and using an easy-out. The bolts are hardened, and I dulled 3 bits before I believed! I couldn't screw it all the way through the yoke for all the dirt and crud packed into the back side of the threads. Clay attempted to weld a stud on to the end of the broken bolt... said he could. Faith. Faith, Brothers. I'm talking about Faith... believing in something that is not visible. You can't see it. You can't touch it. You just believe... with all your heart. Solid as a rock Faith. It is good. Clay welded the broken bolt to the yoke.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #804
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

So,what yer say'n is a higher power wants you to just buy a new, stronger yoke that will use u-bolts.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #805
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

What size is the socket to remove the pinion yoke?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #806
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper aint that why you call me the professor?
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #807
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Scott the quote of Samuel Adams is now on all of my outgoing emails. We sure need more men like him today but I think they've banned his kind from all leadership roles! Especially in D.C.

Just throwing this out there but could the existing holes be drilled out in your yoke so you could use the u-bolt typed retainers instead of the straps? You'd need to take it off to do that since it sounds like the bolt is work hardened. It could likely be drill from the back side on your drill press. I could get it out of there and will if you want, but the shipping might be more than just getting a new yoke.
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #808
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Scott the quote of Samuel Adams is now on all of my outgoing emails. We sure need more men like him today but I think they've banned his kind from all leadership roles! Especially in D.C.

Just throwing this out there but could the existing holes be drilled out in your yoke so you could use the u-bolt typed retainers instead of the straps? You'd need to take it off to do that since it sounds like the bolt is work hardened. It could likely be drill from the back side on your drill press. I could get it out of there and will if you want, but the shipping might be more than just getting a new yoke.
They can't Jim, not enough room.

Billy G.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #809
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
They can't Jim, not enough room.

Billy G.
Too short huh? Scott here's a good place to get stuff. I saved this for future use when I need to build my driveshafts.
http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/ca...shaftcomp.html
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #810
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Jim, thanks for the link. I saved it. The D44 yoke will go on an AMC20 just fine. I learned that from Mike, and I already did it to Clay's Jeep. Another JF member may be able to send me a D44 yoke from a parts axle, but I won't disclose his name unless he says it's alright to do so. In the meantime, Uncle Billy gave me some solid ideas to try, which I will do tomorrow. It is my "plan" to drive the Jeep all summer and rebuild it this winter. I don't want to disassemble the axle right now, and I'm worried about the crush sleeve on the AMC20... Uncle Billy says put the D44 yoke on and tighten it down until I give out! What about my Super Hero strength?? Maybe I should use only one finger. I feel a learning curve coming on! It's all good, Boys. It's all good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.