Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7 - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #736
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

327, my bad, I thought you were referring to the little plunger in the brake light switch.

Scott, both my '78 and '83 have power brakes and a return spring on the pedal. The switch is a bear to get to, and probably harder for a tall guy.
When I adjusted the switch on my 5, I bent the tab on the pedal arm, I wedged a 3/8" extension, or a big screwdriver between the firewall and the tab and pushed the pedal down. I did this procedure a couple times bending it a little each time , so as not to go to far.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #737
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

No problem

And that is exactly how I did the fine tuning of mine. It had a couple of those stamped steel nut things to hold it, but they fit loosely and wouldn't keep adjusted. I used a couple regular nuts on the switch and bent the tab as needed.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #738
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
327, my bad, I thought you were referring to the little plunger in the brake light switch.

Scott, both my '78 and '83 have power brakes and a return spring on the pedal. The switch is a bear to get to, and probably harder for a tall guy.
When I adjusted the switch on my 5, I bent the tab on the pedal arm, I wedged a 3/8" extension, or a big screwdriver between the firewall and the tab and pushed the pedal down. I did this procedure a couple times bending it a little each time , so as not to go to far.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
No problem

And that is exactly how I did the fine tuning of mine. It had a couple of those stamped steel nut things to hold it, but they fit loosely and wouldn't keep adjusted. I used a couple regular nuts on the switch and bent the tab as needed.
Innovation at its greatest!!

Thanks for the tip, Bill. I'll get it done. I sent Clay under the dash this morning, but he couldn't see much. He said the switch is adjusted all the way out. Guess I need to bend the tab too. I will get a new switch coming.

As an afterthought... can't I take my new manual master cylinder and bolt it to my booster?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #739
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I also wanted to mention that AJ was transported to the hospital today at 12:00 PM. He has been home for a not quite a week after a couple weeks at the hospital. AJ has been diagnosed with liver cancer, two spots on his brain, and a tumor on his spine. They started chemo and radiation last Tuesday. He told his mother this morning that he was going to die and it was okay. For those of you who have followed Clay's build thread from the beginning you know how much help AJ provided us. He is my neightbor and a very good friend. He's in a lot of pain, and the Docs have not been able to manage it. I want to lift up AJ and ask anyone out there who is a spiritual person to remember him in your prayers. AJ turned 64 last Tuesday as well.

Thank You.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #740
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #741
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Sorry to hear about AJ bro.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #742
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Sad to hear about AJ... Hope they can at least get him comfortable.... it's painful to watch someone go thru that.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #743
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

:.(

I know how that struggle goes, I had someone close go though something very similar, and now she's in a better place. My heart really goes out to everyone who is close to him, god know it hurts everyone, not just him to be like this.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #744
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

I'm sorry to hear about AJ. Best wishes to him and his family.
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #745
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Skipper sorry about AJ
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #746
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Be glad you have had A.J. as a friend Scott, I'm sure you are. Sorry to hear about his condition. I'll sure remember to keep him and his family in my prayers.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #747
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thanks, All. AJ's blood pressure has dropped to 64 over 60. They think it is medication related. He was transported to Gainesville to a more capable hospital. He is in ICU. If God does not take him before the weekend I will go to see him. I really don't want to.

Unread 06-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #748
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Sorry to hear about AJ. I know you hate to see him suffer. We will be thinking of him in our prayers.

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #749
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Sorry to hear about your friend AJ, Scott. My brother-in-law pasted away from cancer several years ago at the age of 47. Terrible thing to watch... when they found the cancer, it was everywhere… very sad. I’ll keep ya’ll in my prayers.

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #750
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Jeff and Bob... Thank you. Jeff... it is very good to hear from you. I was discussing you with another member a couple weeks ago.

AJ's wife came by yesterday. She said AJ is coherent. A counselor was called in. They are discussing stopping all medical practices, AJ coming home, and calling in Hospice. AJ is apparently ready to go. It appears quality of life would be so diminshed with medication that it isn't worth it to him. I understand that, but it saddens me.

On another note, on my way to work this morning I pulled up to a stop sign, mashed the brakes, and they went to the floor! No brakies!! Limped into my mechanic's shop. He confirmed the master cylinder was bad. This master is maybe 3 weeks old?? Tried to get another from AZ since it is a lifetime warranty. But I can't get one because they are doing inventory!! So AZ is closed?? No... not closed, but I can't get the part! I DO NOT understand that! So my mechanic had to get it from his source. Another master bought. Another core charge. This makes the second master cylinder from AZ that has gone bad in the past year. Beth had to come get me and take me home, and I had to drive the illegal Cherokee to work yet again! Late for work and hour and 15 minutes. Now I have to make up the time tomorrow. Grrrrrrrr....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.