Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7 - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #721
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Scott won't mind, and his power is probably out anyway. I'm years from buying her project- I just obsessively look every night. We do a couple weekends a year at a friend's house up in Bat Cave.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #722
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Commadore-

I grew up in Folkston, Ga (right in the Okefenokee Swamp), and I can tell you that August in Charleston is like the Mekong Delta. I can walk out my front door and start sweating! Best time to visit is November-May!
Cool... I'm in Alma right now, but my wife and I are going to be moving to Blackshear in the next couple of years.

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #723
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hey Fellers! We are soaking wet but in great shape down here. Gobs of rain, moderate winds, but nothing serious. Flood forecasts for the surrounding area, but the Suwannee was on the decline from the last big rain event, so maybe there won't be significant flooding. Just have to wait and see. My house is high so no chance of flooding for us. Subs completed trimming the power lines over the past month, so we have had no power issues... only some flickering. Just freakin' wet!

Do you have any idea, truly, just how many people buy windshield wipers when it's raining? And then ask you to install them because they are freakin lazy, don't want to get wet, cry-babies.... ohh, wait. Did I say those things? I mean... because we offer such fabulous customer service we don't mind changing your wiper blades in the rain, or kneeling in the wet parking lot to read the codes your 'puter is throwing. Nope. It's all good.

Wifey let me drive my old truck (now her NEW truck) today! She is so good to me!

Sleeping late in the morning.

Gotta get me a Waggy!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #724
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

You're a good soldier Scotty. Glad ya'll are (relatively) dry. You better not get a Wag before I do!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #725
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
You're a good soldier Scotty. Glad ya'll are (relatively) dry. You better not get a Wag before I do!
Not much chance of that happening. I would have to "add-on" to the shop, house, or somewhere, because, unlike someone I know, I can't stand to have my Jeeps sitting out in the weather!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #726
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

Not much chance of that happening. I would have to "add-on" to the shop, house, or somewhere, because, unlike someone I know, I can't stand to have my Jeeps sitting out in the weather!
Hey, don't you have work to do on some Jeeps, what are you doing on the Internet at 10 am. Your burnin daylight buddy.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #727
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I told ya'll I was gonna sleep late, then drink coffee late. But... since that I have weeded the garden, strung the maters, planted more okra, trimmed the hog plums and Dogwoods, picked up limbs and moss, cleaned up the cook shack, AND test-fitted the water pump.

So what do you guys think? I need some guidance here...

Auto Zone has a different part number for the water pumps between 1979 and 1985 258s. Vuisually, I can't tell a difference. The vanes on the '79 water pump hit the cylinder sleeve when it was installed. The orginal pump did not. The '85 pump I brought home last night does the same thing, but not as bad. Should I grind down the tips of the vanes for clearance? Do you think it would change the dynamics of the pump? Part of the beauty of the 4.0 swap is keeping the 258 cooling system. I don't want to go to an offset fan, radiator, and electric fan...

Unread 06-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #728
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

Do you have any idea, truly, just how many people buy windshield wipers when it's raining? And then ask you to install them because they are freakin lazy, don't want to get wet, cry-babies.... ohh, wait. Did I say those things? I mean... because we offer such fabulous customer service we don't mind changing your wiper blades in the rain, or kneeling in the wet parking lot to read the codes your 'puter is throwing. Nope. It's all good.

Gotta get me a Waggy!
When i go to Darwin in the north at the beginning of the wet I always see this guy on the side of the road in a temporary canopy like in your yard Scott, he changes wiper blades on the spot, drive thru style and there's always a queue a mile long. Good earner for a enterprising student or some kid looking for some pocket money.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #729
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Scotty said it would happen, he was right!

image-2231845135.jpg

Pizza, Kerr pepper sauce, and 4 Shinner Bock's.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #730
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I got the brake lights working. I found where the PO hacked the harness for a trailer hitch. The connections were groady! I stripped the wire and made new contacts, and now my brake lights work. I'll be going to LED flush-mounts, so it is a temporary fix.

I have to lift up on the brake pedal to turn the brake lights off! When I do that, it makes a distinct "click" sound. It's a new master cylinder... I'm wondering if the pushrod is defective??

I got my turn signals to work today. I started last night and ran out of time. I couldn't get the lock spring back in place. So Beth picked up a rental lock spring tool this afternoon. I pulled the turn signal switch out of the upper column, pulled it apart, cleaned all the contacts, and stuck it all back together. Now I have turn signals. COOL! I also found that the column bearings are gone, gone, and the only thing holding the steering shaft in place is the lock ring. So I'll be doing a column build for this Jeep too. That's fine with me... I want a tilt column.

Unread 06-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #731
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Sounds like the brake light switch needs adjusting. Was the master cyl. A stock one or a upgraded one? Any change in the operation of the brakes?
My 85 tilted as a '83 has a return spring on the brake pedal, does yours?
And a productive day to boot.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #732
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

That click is probably the pushrod almost being pulled out from when you lift up on the pedal. Mine does it too. You just need to tweak the switch adjustment some. I had to bend the metal tab on the pedal assembly after adjusting the switch, since it was bent too far to push the plunger of the switch squarely. There was a bunch of washers duct taped to that tab when I bought the CJ.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #733
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Are you sure about this 327? On every one of my jeeps the pedal coming back pushes the plunger in.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #734
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Sounds like the brake light switch needs adjusting. Was the master cyl. A stock one or a upgraded one? Any change in the operation of the brakes?
My 85 tilted as a '83 has a return spring on the brake pedal, does yours?
And a productive day to boot.
Stock replacement. I have a booster to install, but that will wait until tear-down time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
That click is probably the pushrod almost being pulled out from when you lift up on the pedal. Mine does it too. You just need to tweak the switch adjustment some. I had to bend the metal tab on the pedal assembly after adjusting the switch, since it was bent too far to push the plunger of the switch squarely. There was a bunch of washers duct taped to that tab when I bought the CJ.
Yikes! Almost pulled out?? So just need to screw the plunger/switch in some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Are you sure about this 327? On every one of my jeeps the pedal coming back pushes the plunger in.
I think that's what he is saying Bill-O.

Unread 06-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #735
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Well, the plunger pushes into the booster/master cylinder for assembly. I know on the manual MC the pushrod is held in place with a rubber grommet type thing, and if you pull back on the pedal with your hand, it is pulling out enough that the rubber part is holding the rod back from the seat. Then when you push on it, the rubber let's of go back onto place, and it makes a noise when the rod seats in place. Normally you never notice this because the springs move it for you, and they don't pull the plunger out of place because the pedal stops before it pulls out. The pedal travel seems to be limited by the brake light switch, so once you have that adjusted properly, it won't do this anymore.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.