Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

181K views 2K replies 85 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
This will be a very slow thread! Since Clay and I are building his 5 I am not really building my Jeep at this time, but there are a few things that I am doing along the way. I can't put them in Clay's thread, so here is mine.

Her name is Lizzie. She's a 1985 CJ7 I got from a guy up in Hawkinsville, Georgia. She had sat in the woods for 5 years until I saw her and talked the guy into selling her to me. I got her for $1750. So far Lizzie has received a bench seat (from a Commando), MC2100, some gaskets, 2.5" RC suspension lift, ProComp 9000 shocks, and all poly suspension bushings. She is Nuttered and runs well. I am redoing the spare tire carrier and she just got some new wipers and dimmer switch.

Today I was replacing a wheel cylinder when AJ and his son JR pulled up. They helped me bleed the brakes and we discovered my Master Cylinder was bad. So we started to rebuild it. Used to be you could do that for about $3, buying a seal kit, but we discovered you can't find the seal kit anymore. So bought a reman master from Auto Zone for $18 plus the core.

Here are some pics of AJ working on the old master before we learned that we couldn't rebuild it, and some more pics of bench bleeding the new reman unit.

This is JR. He's as good a mechanic as his dad, AJ. Sitting next to JR is the old master cylinder disassembled.

To disassemble the master you have to remove the snap ring where the piston rod goes into the body. Then you carefully pull everything out. There are two plungers. The second one will be inside the body of the master. We used air pressure to force it out.

AJ buffing the lip so the lid will make a good seal.

Cleaned up and ready for the lid.

AJ used this tool to clean the bore of the master. The metal rod has a slot in the end. He used some sandpaper.

Wind it up on the rod.

Insert it into the bore and slowly spin the rod, cleaning the bore.

This is when we discovered we couldn't find a seal kit and opted for a reman. So we changed gears.

Here is the new reman master. I stuck it in my vise to prepare it for bench bleeding. I want to polish the lip so the lid will seal well. I used a metal file to do this. Keep it flat at all times. Protect the inlets from dust and trash.

Lots of filings.

Blow it out and level it in the vise.

Attach the bleeder nipples and tubes as described in the directions. Keep the ends of the tubes away from the inlets inside the reservoirs. You don't want to keep recirculating the air that will pump through the tubes.

Add clean fluid to the reservoirs, making sure the ends of the tubes are covered. Add fluid as needed to keep the tubes covered.

Push in slowly on the piston to begin the bleeding process. This will take you around a half-hour, more or less. Go slow. The directions say to use short strokes.

Bubbles!

Once all the air is removed top off the reservoirs, remove the tubes, and cap the nipples. You are ready to install.

Sorry for the super long post! But that will be all for awhile! :D

See less See more
#1,368 ·
The one thing I was going to add about if you were going to modify the quarters, is make sure you have drain holes anywhere water could collect.

I think I'm catching you are going to leave them alone though and build into the bumper some protection/filler?

#1,369 ·
Got the bumper built over the weekend (my work weekend, not true weekend). It is done, unpainted yet, but installed so I can savor it! It looks so friggin' COOL! Oh man, I just lay in bed at night thinking about this thing. I can't wait to actually put it on the road. Received a package from Snyder's yesterday, Realtree HD for the headliner. Nice transaction, fast, priced right. If you need camo cloth, 60" wide, and a large selection, check out Snyder's.

#1,371 ·
It is done, unpainted yet, but installed so I can savor it! It looks so friggin' COOL! Oh man, I just lay in bed at night thinking about this thing. I can't wait to actually put it on the road.
I know what you mean! Sometimes I just want it on the road in hopes some guy will say: "WOW", dude that is the coolest bumper (or what ever we have made), where did you BUY it? Then I say as cool as I can: "I BUILT IT, not bought it"

:barbell:

:hahaha::rolleyes:

#1,372 ·
Quite a deer hunting story Mr. Kerr! I would have thrown that 800 pound thing over one shoulder then drug the Jeep out with my free hand. I've done that many times before so I know for sure it's doable. You should have tried. Had I been there I'd have done it for you. Reminds me of the time when we loaded 3 whole elk in the back of a Suburban and rode back to camp, 5 of us. True story...every bit.

Bumper pictures are in order. I want to gander at it.

#1,373 ·
Quite a deer hunting story Mr. Kerr! I would have thrown that 800 pound thing over one shoulder then drug the Jeep out with my free hand. I've done that many times before so I know for sure it's doable. You should have tried. Had I been there I'd have done it for you. Reminds me of the time when we loaded 3 whole elk in the back of a Suburban and rode back to camp, 5 of us. True story...every bit.

Bumper pictures are in order. I want to gander at it.
:bowdown:

#1,374 ·
Geeeeeeeez... if ya'll would just go to my other thread, then I'd actually have a few visitors! :rolleyes:

Bumper pics, huh... Okay.

Rear bumper installed, but I may make more mods when I take it back off to paint the Cherokee. And front bumper, curved to match the grill, a work in progress...

Think I need to paint the springs.

Attachments

#1,378 ·
One of my fondest memories of my pickup included hauling 4 elk and six people out of an area even quads weren't willing to go (too steep). One person was in the bed. we picked him up after he rolled his quad down the mountain (literally several hundred vertical feet into a ravine).

Ah the power of limited slip front and rear and mud tires aired way down. :D

#1,381 ·
Scott I really like using these http://www.lowes.com/pd_385213-70-DW8250___?productId=3643880&pl=1&Ntt=grinding+disc or something of another brand but they really leave you with a nice finish for painting. Also are you going to put any d-rings through the bumpers? If so I have some I can send you, I think they'd be good to have. I'd even put a receiver in the front bumper too. Lots of grinding but matching the curve really makes it look well done :thumbsup:

#1,382 ·
I would LOVE to receive D rings from you!! And yes, it will get a receiver. I will probably taper the ends from the bottom up as well. Thanks for the link, Jim.

#1,394 ·
Spent a few hours in the woods today. Me'n the little guys put up some stands, hoping to improve our odds of getting a deer this year. I hated driving my F150 , but we needed the bed. It got a little scratched! But not too badly.

Big boys were home from college for the weekend. We sighted in muzzle-loaders together, but they didn't hunt. They had to study. Oh well. I really miss my big boys. Here they are posing with Mom.

Attachments

#1,395 ·
This. THIS! I need help with this. I got the bell end of the ramrod stuck down at the bottom of the barrel. I was using it to run a patch after a shot. I didn't have the proper end (forgot to bring it) to screw on for a patch, so I thought I was being clever and used the bell end (for seating the ball). I could not pull it back out! It stuck, and I mean stuck! I pulled on the ramrod, my son pulled on the gun. The bell came off the ramrod and is still at the bottom of the barrel. I thought I could burn the cotton patch and the bell would just fall out. So I poured powder (just a little) down the barrel, dropped in a match, and it geysered like a roman candle. But it didn't work. I tried it again, and the dang thing exploded like a regular load! Didn't think that would happen... needless to say, I haven't done that again!! How do I get the bell out so I can use the gun?

Attachments

#1,396 ·
How is the bell normally held onto the rod? I'm figuring the bell is metal? Only thing I can think of is a drill on a long shaft to put a hole thru it, and then a screw of sorts to grab it in that hole. Kind of like the tools used to remove a stuck ball after a dud shot...

#1,400 ·
I assume this was a standard brass bell on a wood ramrod...did the wood snap off, or did it pop free of the bell leaving a "socket" in the bell?

I'm wondering if you could use one of the threaded ball removers on another ramrod. I think this would be similar to a previous poster who mentioned drilling through it, minus that step.

I think trying to drill it would likely wreck your rifling, but if you DO decide to drill it, try this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-3-8-in-X-54-in-Cable-Bit-48-13-8237/203115396

These are used for drilling down through stud bays from the top for dropping something like electrical or speaker wire. They're threaded on the end so you can get the bit started in something that's physically out of reach. It might dig into that bell so you can pull it out.

Good Luck!
Yep, this is a typical brass bell from a wooden ramrod. I had placed a cotton patch with bore butter across the barrel then pushed it down the barrel with the bell end. I'm guessing some kind of ego-humiliating physics fairy did something to that cotton, and I was unable to remove the ramrod. After some serious pulling the bell popped off the ramrod. It was apparently glued on. I really don't believe that a threaded anything will bite well enough to pull that bell out, considering it's brass and thin??

Scott, you might try compressed air through the percussion cap hole, pointing the muzzle in a safe direction of course.
I also would try the compressed air. I mean they make the kit to clear a loaded gun using the co2 cartridges and you basically have the same thing.
Tried it with 130 psi. I will try some more.

This is a .45 caliber. All other BP firearms in the house are .50. The only .45 caliber tool I own is this mangled ramrod.

Could I melt the brass out? I'm afraid I'd ruin the barrel with a drill bit, although I have thought to do that. Maybe I'll send it off somewhere...

#1,398 ·
I assume this was a standard brass bell on a wood ramrod...did the wood snap off, or did it pop free of the bell leaving a "socket" in the bell?

I'm wondering if you could use one of the threaded ball removers on another ramrod. I think this would be similar to a previous poster who mentioned drilling through it, minus that step.

I think trying to drill it would likely wreck your rifling, but if you DO decide to drill it, try this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-3-8-in-X-54-in-Cable-Bit-48-13-8237/203115396

These are used for drilling down through stud bays from the top for dropping something like electrical or speaker wire. They're threaded on the end so you can get the bit started in something that's physically out of reach. It might dig into that bell so you can pull it out.

Good Luck!

#1,401 ·
What about welding an appropriate sized lag screw to the end of a steel rod, basically creating a lead ball puller and ramrod setup, then try to screw that into the broken off cap. Do you have one of those mini torches that you might be able to ignite the patch thru the flashpan hole to lessen some of it's mass?

#1,403 ·
Egads! Lag screw, welding, steel rod!?!?!? Hmmmmmmmmm....

Hey Scott, do you have any 4F powder? If not know anyone with a flintlock that will let you have a little? Use your nipple wrench, remove the nipple and pour a little powder in the hole, careful you can put allot more than you think in there. Make sure the nipple threads are clean of powder and install the nipple. Put a cap on and fire it into the ground. I've seen this method used multiple times to remove the cleaning tip and even remove a ball that was seated without powder. Trust me, it works!!!
Tried it already! But I'll try it again.

Just was out at the shop trying compressed air again... to no avail. Called the local gun shop, but he's closed on Monday

:pout:

#1,402 ·
Hey Scott, do you have any 4F powder? If not know anyone with a flintlock that will let you have a little? Use your nipple wrench, remove the nipple and pour a little powder in the hole, careful you can put allot more than you think in there. Make sure the nipple threads are clean of powder and install the nipple. Put a cap on and fire it into the ground. I've seen this method used multiple times to remove the cleaning tip and even remove a ball that was seated without powder. Trust me, it works!!!

#1,404 ·
Here is another tidbit of Kerr fun from the weekend.

Sausages and hotdogs on the grill, and smoking some dried jalapeno peppers.

Texas Dave got me interested in these peppers, and I have dried and bagged Ghost, Habanero, Fatali, 7 Pot, and Jalapeno. I ain't tried/eaten any of them yet, though! I think smoked, dried pepper flakes would be the bomb??

I have amazing ideas... :idea:

Attachments

#1,407 ·
I had some ghost pepper bring me down once, no mas! My shop foreman had a habanero plant growing in our flowerbed some years back and he could eat them like candy, one day he was having lunch with a new guy and gave him one, the guy got really sick and had to go home, missed a few days too.

I was in charge of a Zombie party this weekend. Had four 7 and 8 year old boys shooting paintballs through a zombie maze. 8500 paintballs! 12 20oz tanks and 4 12oz tanks. Made up a course with tarps and had stuffed costumes with zombie masks jumping on them, they had to shoot at everything that moved.

It was our Halloween alternative party, beats a harvest party I thought.