Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

181K views 2K replies 85 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
This will be a very slow thread! Since Clay and I are building his 5 I am not really building my Jeep at this time, but there are a few things that I am doing along the way. I can't put them in Clay's thread, so here is mine.

Her name is Lizzie. She's a 1985 CJ7 I got from a guy up in Hawkinsville, Georgia. She had sat in the woods for 5 years until I saw her and talked the guy into selling her to me. I got her for $1750. So far Lizzie has received a bench seat (from a Commando), MC2100, some gaskets, 2.5" RC suspension lift, ProComp 9000 shocks, and all poly suspension bushings. She is Nuttered and runs well. I am redoing the spare tire carrier and she just got some new wipers and dimmer switch.

Today I was replacing a wheel cylinder when AJ and his son JR pulled up. They helped me bleed the brakes and we discovered my Master Cylinder was bad. So we started to rebuild it. Used to be you could do that for about $3, buying a seal kit, but we discovered you can't find the seal kit anymore. So bought a reman master from Auto Zone for $18 plus the core.

Here are some pics of AJ working on the old master before we learned that we couldn't rebuild it, and some more pics of bench bleeding the new reman unit.

This is JR. He's as good a mechanic as his dad, AJ. Sitting next to JR is the old master cylinder disassembled.

To disassemble the master you have to remove the snap ring where the piston rod goes into the body. Then you carefully pull everything out. There are two plungers. The second one will be inside the body of the master. We used air pressure to force it out.

AJ buffing the lip so the lid will make a good seal.

Cleaned up and ready for the lid.

AJ used this tool to clean the bore of the master. The metal rod has a slot in the end. He used some sandpaper.

Wind it up on the rod.

Insert it into the bore and slowly spin the rod, cleaning the bore.

This is when we discovered we couldn't find a seal kit and opted for a reman. So we changed gears.

Here is the new reman master. I stuck it in my vise to prepare it for bench bleeding. I want to polish the lip so the lid will seal well. I used a metal file to do this. Keep it flat at all times. Protect the inlets from dust and trash.

Lots of filings.

Blow it out and level it in the vise.

Attach the bleeder nipples and tubes as described in the directions. Keep the ends of the tubes away from the inlets inside the reservoirs. You don't want to keep recirculating the air that will pump through the tubes.

Add clean fluid to the reservoirs, making sure the ends of the tubes are covered. Add fluid as needed to keep the tubes covered.

Push in slowly on the piston to begin the bleeding process. This will take you around a half-hour, more or less. Go slow. The directions say to use short strokes.

Bubbles!

Once all the air is removed top off the reservoirs, remove the tubes, and cap the nipples. You are ready to install.

Sorry for the super long post! But that will be all for awhile! :D

See less See more
#1,283 ·
Clay came home with a Hossfeld tubing bender and a pile of dies. Used, he bought it from his employer for $700, including a table to mount it on made of 1" plate!!!!!!!!! Table is still on the trailer. Don't know how we'll move it? Bends pipe, round and square tubing, flat and round stock, and angle iron! Does scrolly things too! Even bends eyes for bolting something down. Now we gotta learn how to use it.

#1,284 ·
Wifey went to Macon to hook up with her parents for a quick visit. She took the little ones with her. This was last Wednesday. Clay came home with the bender, and I bought a couple new guns. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission!! I bought a Heritage .22 revolver for Fallon's 16th birthday and a 10/22 for me. So cool...

#1,285 ·
Wifey went to Macon to hook up with her parents for a quick visit. She took the little ones with her. This was last Wednesday. Clay came home with the bender, and I bought a couple new guns. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission!! I bought a Heritage .22 revolver for Fallon's 16th birthday and a 10/22 for me. So cool...
Oh I imagine when she knows you're running around the house half naked those new guns won't mean a thing :rofl:

#1,290 ·
First rifle other than BB was my father's 10/22. Got my first **** with it, too! Love it, so fun and easy to shoot. Very reliable, too, rarely have issues.

#1,291 ·
Glad to see there are a couple 10/22 supporters out there! I have to figure out what aftermarket stock to go with. I would LOVE to hear ya'lls opinions of what is good and what is not? I am considering these from Fab Defense...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UAS-PRO-R10...459?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35edc211f3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COL-R10-22-...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35edc1d2e0

FEEDBACK NEEDED! I need your convincing argument as to WHY it is important to UPGRADE my 10/22 stock to something FREAKING COOL! Wifey has arms crossed and toe is tapping...

Annnnnd, since nothing happens in the XJ world, I am posting this here, for your feedback. So you guys should just pretend this is a CJ and let 'er rip. If you check out our XJ build you will see the same commentary, as this is copy/paste...

...Fallon turned 16 this month, and this build was supposed to be complete so he could drive when he was legal. I missed that mark! But if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!

I reworked the cross member and, I think, improved it. We welded patch panels in several areas of the floor board. More rust than I considered, expected. We dropped the gas tank to weld some patch panels in the rear and discovered holes in the tank, so another is needed. I pulled the gas tank from the '97 donor XJ, which is plastic and desirable, but the fuel pumps are different, meaning the tank openings are different (differences between OBDI and OBDII). Can you adapt an OBDII fuel pump to OBDI wiring?? Unless someone has some good tips/advice on HOW to adapt the '97 tank, I guess I will be searching for a JY tank.

We took the heavily stained carpet and laid it out on the driveway, sprayed it down with concentrated cleaner, then pressure-washed it. It is remarkable how much cleaner the carpet is!!!! After that we shop-vacced the water, hung it over the line for a couple days, then beat the carpet to knock out the deep sand... and there was a lot! True to form, my kids tore the carpet up from over-working it, and now I will buy a carpet kit!

The inside of the Jeep is painted with Rustoleum primer and waiting for the carpet.

Once the interior is reinstalled, it is off for alignment. Then the exterior, ie- body work and paint. Pics to follow...

#1,292 ·
I know its not what you want to hear, but I'm partial to my original stock, but I have always loved the walnut look - it isn't the maple used on the newer ones, as it is a 70's model... but if I remember they had a M14(?) Stock for the 10/22 that looked sharp. It isn't an AR look, which is all I care - not a big fan of those Lego guns...

As for the XJ, are the fuel hookups the same between the 2? Or is one a return feed and the other return less? I would say they would be compatible as long as the pressures are the same. Worst case you have to swap in the return less fuel rail and lines, but either way, being able to upgrade to a poly tank would be worth it. Replacement steel tanks only last 5-10 years here...

#1,293 ·
I know its not what you want to hear, but I'm partial to my original stock, but I have always loved the walnut look - it isn't the maple used on the newer ones, as it is a 70's model... but if I remember they had a M14(?) Stock for the 10/22 that looked sharp. It isn't an AR look, which is all I care - not a big fan of those Lego guns...

As for the XJ, are the fuel hookups the same between the 2? Or is one a return feed and the other return less? I would say they would be compatible as long as the pressures are the same. Worst case you have to swap in the return less fuel rail and lines, but either way, being able to upgrade to a poly tank would be worth it. Replacement steel tanks only last 5-10 years here...
I can keep the factory stock on the 10/22 (wife says "I'd better!"), but they are so cheap, and they look so "production run". Don't care about the AR look, but I want something sporty.

The poly tank has the same basic shape, but the opening for the fuel pump is MUCH different. The '97 tank is OBDII, and the wiring/plug is different from the '90 OBDI. I can deal with any other issues, like fuel return, but I want to know if I can cut off the plug and attach the '90 plug??

#1,302 ·
Whatya mean???????? aint you gonna argue that I'm a nice guy that don't show my age and am even better at getting along than George. Besides he's a bunch oldern me and youn too.
James that comment "bunch oldern me and youn too."

Now I wanna point out I did send a family heirloom and you have proceeded to fill the Crapper with Crap likes dat comment above!

BTW the history on why a commode is called a crapper John W. Crapper improved on early toilets and this is from Wikipedia

It has often been claimed in popular culture that the slang term for human bodily waste, crap, originated with Thomas Crapper because of his association with lavatories. A common version of this story is that American servicemen stationed in England during World War I saw his name on cisterns and used it as army slang, i.e. "I'm going to the crapper".[10]

So James I am putting a Spell On You and the Skipper!
May your Crapper overflow each use, for ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

#1,308 ·
Well, you know... one of those guns that you pull out of the case at the local .22LR match, and everybody goes, "OOOOOoooooooooo....!" :cool:

Cool, I guess. It doesn't matter really... I'll win the match anyway.

#1,309 ·
We are getting ready to take a vacation to Spring Warrior Fish Camp in Taylor County, FL. Beth and I made a day trip a couple months ago, and we loved it. If you like water, fishing, swimming, scalloping, fishing, and boating (did I mention fishing?), then you will like this place. Fabulous hosts (husband and wife), clean, and very comfortable. VERY affordable!!! 17 miles from civilization, bring your cooler when you go to the store. I have their 24' Carolina Skiff rented for 2 days, and we are hauling our little 14' jon.

You should do this.

Of course, Mom wants the little jon to look good! :rolleyes:

Attachments

#1,312 ·
Firewood don't cost nuthin to keep. What you don't burn this year you can burn NEXT year. And the far half is pecan, which I use for cooking.

More boat progress...
Cooking with Pecan...
A/C repair...
And Bins for Father's Day!

Attachments

#1,314 ·
My wife will be thrilled to know her feet look like Hobbit feet! You should maybe find a hole. Not sure how much time you got, so you'd better start digging now!

:devil:

#1,315 ·
Scott, sure is amazing how all the old timers aka "peanut gallery" come out of the woodwork when you started posting again...

#1,318 ·
We are here at Spring Warrior. Got here Monday afternoon after a major packing event at home. Honestly, we brought a lot of stuff with us, but Beth always makes sure we are comfortable.

Accomodations are good and quite comfortable. Quiet and peaceful. Until some Yahoo arrived in the middle of the night, in his Ram 2500 diesel, with that loud-azz exhaust system that makes it sound like a 6 cylinder with a glass pack! I can't stand that sound!

Storms have been intermittent, and we've been dodging them. Wind has been blowing like crazy, and that makes it hard to fish. No problem getting our limit of scallops, however, and that's just plain fun.

We got our little boat finished in time to bring with us. It's been doing well,considering the rough seas. I hope the carpet glue cured enough before it got rained in!?

Anyway, here are some "action pics" of our vacation. Wish you were here...

:highfive:

We got here, got checked in, and Clay discovered Fiddler Crabs. He kept walking around telling folks he caught crabs?? I had a talk with him...

This was our first sunset. Red sky at night, Sailor's delight... made me think it was going to be calm the next day, but the wind blew all night. I went ahead and rented the boat, a 20' Carolina Skiff with a 115 Yamaha four-stroke.

Kids gotta eat, and that was more important than anything else! Clay brought his 5 along for the trip.

The intrepid ones move out...

Clay, the Merman... Notice the ominous sky.

Over the side. Clay thinks he's Jacques Cousteau, and he started speaking French! Amazing.

The object of this adventure...

And then these southern, white manatees swam right up to the boat!

Good times. You just swim around looking for them. Pick them up and stick 'em in a mesh bag.

The boys hauling them in...

Limited out in no time...

Can you see the eyes?

Daniel... this is what you have to look forward to. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Teaching Cameron how to run the boat.

Later on, Clay and Fallon took out our little boat. The wind made it difficult to use, and it was too rough. Hopefully it will get better in the week.

Scallop cleaning assembly line. Clay and Fallon cut the shell loose from one side. I sucked out the guts with a small shop-vac (works great!), and Cam removed the cleaned muscle from the shell. Then they went on ice.

Beth cooking up this delicacy in our rented kitchen. I mixed some up into some seasoning/bread mix, scooped them back into their half-shell, topped with cheese, and cooked them on the grill. Scallops grilled on the half-shell.

Finished product. I wonder what this would cost in a restaurant?

Stay tuned... Same Bat time. Same Bat Channel...

#1,319 ·
Hey Scott, ever had bacon wrapped scallops. Really easy and very little to clean up. Wrap the scallops in bacon, pin them with a tooth pick, put them on a cookie sheet under the broiler for a few minutes on each side. Little garlic butter and your good to go. My son like to dip them in YumYum sauce

White Manatees, that's funny

#1,320 ·
Looks like a an amazing time Scott! I do look forward to those days :D

I've never seen scallops like that, we have a different scallop over here. They are also stuck to the rocks like glue, and you need a small pry bar to break them loose, I've only scallop hunted once on a SCUBA trip and it was a blast.

Attachments