Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7 - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #541
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Here's how I did the spring perch. Checked it with a straight edge to get it flat. I believe it's 3*.

image-2070105420.jpg

The back one is stock.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #542
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

So you ground down just the corner? I am having trouble with the perspective...

This pic is a result of a conversation Bill and I had on the phone. It is about adjusting caster on a D30. Grinding down the spring perch as opposed to using shims.

Thanks, Bill.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #543
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
So you ground down just the corner? I am having trouble with the perspective...

This pic is a result of a conversation Bill and I had on the phone. It is about adjusting caster on a D30. Grinding down the spring perch as opposed to using shims.

Thanks, Bill.
Ya it's hard to see. If you were to lay a 2 or 3 degree wedge on the perch the wide part would be on the left side. I started 3/16" from the right hand side, with the grinding. I used a factory perch to gauge where I was . I wanted about 3/16 to a 1/4" gone on the left side.

image-942138877.jpg

image-2505541692.jpg

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #544
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

'Sup sport?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #545
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

This is kind of crude but I think it demonstrates what he's trying to describe.
image-2070105420.jpg  
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #546
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

And in that actual picture he was only half done. Am I right Bill?
image-20701054202.jpg  
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #547
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz
And in that actual picture he was only half done. Am I right Bill?
If you mean did I do the other one on the back side , I didn't . The stock one I used needed to be welded to the passenger side. I set the ground perch and axle on the pin on the drivers side. Then put the un-ground perch on the pass side, clamped the axle to the spring, c (5.9*) looked at the pinion yoke and tacked the perch on. This was with the springs/jeep supported by jacks, at ride height.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #548
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I obviously didn't catch all the previous conversation but at least that should help out Scott with what you did.
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #549
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Mike, thanks for the perspective. I got it now, but I'm afraid to take a grinder to the perch. I don't have Bill's experience or... um... years! He keeps teaching me new stuff, and I keep being amazed at what he knows, but I'm chicken!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #550
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I got a little motivation this morning, and I started to reassemble my 7 after cannibalizing so much of it for Clay's 5. Awhile back, Bill sent me a Clifford intake to replace mine, since mine ended up on Clay's motor! I started cleaning surfaces with a file (flange to block, flange to carb), and I got to thinking about a common mishap when mounting a 2100 carb to an adapter plate. I "learned" this when I did Clay's MC2100, because I "experienced" it! I mounted up his 2100 and I had a terrible vacuum leak. But I didn't know anything about it because it was "my first time"! AJ was over and he discovered my leak, which was HUGE! We couldn't hear it and propane made no difference. After removing the whole intake AJ discovered the problem... so we fixed it. And Voila! No more intake leak. So I thought I would post up some pics so you guys can see the mistake I made. These are all just mock-ups, but final assembly will be similar...

First of all, here is the Clifford intake. It has a Clifford adapter plate already on it.

Here is a picture of the bottom of my MC2100. This came off an F150.

If you install the paper gasket that comes in the rebuild kit, it will look something like this.

It will seal just fine in the front (hard to tell in this pic, but take my word for it). There is no gasket to see... this is only a demo.

But it will leave this gaping hole across the back.

All of this area is a vacuum leak, and it is so big that propane made no difference. AJ and I could not hear it (no stethoscope was used). The engine would run if you stayed on the throttle, but once you let go it would die.

This spacer makes a seal...

Or this paper gasket makes a seal...

I'll do something like this, with a paper gasket between the spacer and the adapter and the spacer and the carb.

I have seen this happen on several MC2100 installs. I have also seen differences in 2100 carb bases by years, but I don't know enough about it to say anything specific about years/models, etc. What I'm saying is pay attention to this area when installing your MC2100, because you can't see this problem when the carb is mounted and under the hood.

I hope someone finds this useful. And Thanks to Billy Boy for the intake!

Unread 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #551
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Awright, you Scurvy Dogs.... here's my take on drilling/tapping my Clifford intake for the power steering bracket. Blow by sordid blow. Laggards weep...

Since Bill sent me this HyPo Clifford intake, which I'm sure will have me grabbing rubber through 3 gears, with 2.73 and 35s (), I need to bore the ONE MISSING HOLE! But Beggars can't be Choosers (if they choose they should be shot!), so since this manifold isn't PERFECT, it's up to me to make it so. I need to drill and tap this one plug for the upper pwr steering brackert. oops... bracket. I mocked up the intake, remounted my previously uninstalled power steering pump/bracket, tightened it all down... more or less... marked the hole with a Dullie (inverse of Sharpie... that's what we use here in White Springs!), and then "center-punched" it for a 3/8s bolt. I used a 3/8 drill bit, tapping gently on the butt end with a hammer, while slowing turning the bit. I think this will work...
img_0129_1.jpg   img_0130_1.jpg   img_0131_1.jpg  

Unread 03-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #552
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Good to see you back at it, I take it your feeling better?

Interesting that they cast the part to have bolt threads, but didn't drill and tap it.

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #553
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Wellll... hell. The outside shape of the casting is not indicative of the thickness of the plug. Don't know if it's called a plug, but that's what I'm calling it. As you see in the pics, I centered the hole. Clay and I just drilled it out. I measured then drilled. Pulled it out, measured, and drilled some more, over and over. STILL I DRILLED THROUGH! But there is no way you could have had a viable hole with holding threads if I had stopped on time. The hole would have only been a 1/4", and that would have left a very thin wall behind the bolt. I am using a 3/4" X 3/8 bolt at this mount. I couldn't find 1/2" bolts, but they would have been too long too.

So I have this 3/8 tapped hole right into the intake. I'm telling myself "it ain't that bad!" What do ya'll recommend for sealing the threads? Hi-Temp RTV??

Unread 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #554
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

How about using JB weld or some other sealing adhesive and using a piece of threaded rod instead?

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #555
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Thought about it, but I'm thinking a stud would make it necessary to remove your steering pump to get the bracket off the manifold??? Kind of a PITA, although I don't have immediate plans to remove the manifold again! How hot would the intake get? The intake is aluminum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.