Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

181K views 2K replies 85 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
This will be a very slow thread! Since Clay and I are building his 5 I am not really building my Jeep at this time, but there are a few things that I am doing along the way. I can't put them in Clay's thread, so here is mine.

Her name is Lizzie. She's a 1985 CJ7 I got from a guy up in Hawkinsville, Georgia. She had sat in the woods for 5 years until I saw her and talked the guy into selling her to me. I got her for $1750. So far Lizzie has received a bench seat (from a Commando), MC2100, some gaskets, 2.5" RC suspension lift, ProComp 9000 shocks, and all poly suspension bushings. She is Nuttered and runs well. I am redoing the spare tire carrier and she just got some new wipers and dimmer switch.

Today I was replacing a wheel cylinder when AJ and his son JR pulled up. They helped me bleed the brakes and we discovered my Master Cylinder was bad. So we started to rebuild it. Used to be you could do that for about $3, buying a seal kit, but we discovered you can't find the seal kit anymore. So bought a reman master from Auto Zone for $18 plus the core.

Here are some pics of AJ working on the old master before we learned that we couldn't rebuild it, and some more pics of bench bleeding the new reman unit.

This is JR. He's as good a mechanic as his dad, AJ. Sitting next to JR is the old master cylinder disassembled.

To disassemble the master you have to remove the snap ring where the piston rod goes into the body. Then you carefully pull everything out. There are two plungers. The second one will be inside the body of the master. We used air pressure to force it out.

AJ buffing the lip so the lid will make a good seal.

Cleaned up and ready for the lid.

AJ used this tool to clean the bore of the master. The metal rod has a slot in the end. He used some sandpaper.

Wind it up on the rod.

Insert it into the bore and slowly spin the rod, cleaning the bore.

This is when we discovered we couldn't find a seal kit and opted for a reman. So we changed gears.

Here is the new reman master. I stuck it in my vise to prepare it for bench bleeding. I want to polish the lip so the lid will seal well. I used a metal file to do this. Keep it flat at all times. Protect the inlets from dust and trash.

Lots of filings.

Blow it out and level it in the vise.

Attach the bleeder nipples and tubes as described in the directions. Keep the ends of the tubes away from the inlets inside the reservoirs. You don't want to keep recirculating the air that will pump through the tubes.

Add clean fluid to the reservoirs, making sure the ends of the tubes are covered. Add fluid as needed to keep the tubes covered.

Push in slowly on the piston to begin the bleeding process. This will take you around a half-hour, more or less. Go slow. The directions say to use short strokes.

Bubbles!

Once all the air is removed top off the reservoirs, remove the tubes, and cap the nipples. You are ready to install.

Sorry for the super long post! But that will be all for awhile! :D

See less See more
#1,175 ·
Hi Everybody!

We are all fine down here in sunny... no, rainy... no, sunny... whatever... HOT Florida! We are healthy, and LIFE goes on. I have been ultra-busy with things other than MY FIRST CHOICES, but God is Good, and we have all we need. I have fixed the electric to the patio, the boat motor, the generator, the lawn mower, even the kitchen sink! With the loss of the department head at work, I have been serving as interim, and the stress load has been beyond anything I have ever experienced. Fallon turns 15 today. Beth and I celebrate our 25th next week. Jake and Clay leave for UF in August. I haven't felt like communicating with anyone. In fact, I don't feel like doing anything! It is a crappy attitude to have, but I have not been able to shake it yet. Although I am waiting for Clay to get home from work so we can go tubing.

You Guys are on my mind pretty much every single day. Please forgive me for not dropping in more often. I haven't touched my Jeep, or ANY Jeep, in weeks. I have my master rebuild kits for two D30s and an AMC20 with gears ready to go. I have vacation in mi-August for 9 days, and I hope to get SOMETHING completed.

I hope everyone is well. God Bless...

Scott

#1,176 ·
You are alive! Happy birthday to Fallon!!! Happy anniversary to the Kerrs!!!!

Me, George and Bill were talking the other day about things just not being the same here on the forum. The kidding has almost dried up and the "brotherhood" seems to be lacking. We all get busy though, like you've been. I went through some time of not being all that interested in posting too then that wore off. I don't know about any of the other guys but I can say that I've missed seeing and hearing what's been going on around the Kerr homestead. :thumbsup:

#1,177 ·
Jim
I dont know that post could be an impostor!
I think we should run some security questions on this poster till we see its really the Skipper.

Has anyone moved your bolt holes on an engine and if so what part?

What started the steering wheel war with Billy?

Have any of your pigs ever worn rubber boots?

Gents go ahead and ask some more security questions.

#1,181 ·
Jim
I dont know that post could be an impostor!
I think we should run some security questions on this poster till we see its really the Skipper.

Has anyone moved your bolt holes on an engine and if so what part?
ummm... manifold?

What started the steering wheel war with Billy?
his gut!

Have any of your pigs ever worn rubber boots?
You are so silly. They only wear rubber boots in Chicago!

Gents go ahead and ask some more security questions.
George let's go easy on him....I think he's starting to imagine he's young again after hearing him talk about being away from the kids with Beth. We've seen him do this sort of thing before. Remember back when he thought all the ladies were looking at him when he first drove the CJ? He's a bit unstable, especially after being away from our wisdom and guidance so long. But another question. Where did the sanding dust from the fiberglass end up?
:p :p :p :rofl:

25 YEARS TODAY!!

#1,178 ·
Hey Jim... George! I really miss the camaraderie! Thanks for hanging in there.

It seems everything I own is breaking or tearing up! I can't wait for it to stop. Both A/Cs on my truck and Beth's van are gone, the big screen TV is dying, I need tires on my truck and my Jeep, and the tubing trip today was a bust. I can't believe a $6 part kept the boat from running, but we did get to observe some idiots at the boat ramp! :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to our 25th anniversary... 3 days at Jekyll Island, GA and a half-day offshore charter fishing (24th thru 27th). Leaving the kids home (hallelujah!), but I know Beth will be worrying about them, so it will be like having them with us! Three hour ride over there with no A/C! I could have had the A/C repaired, however I am using that money for a hunting lease this year. So we just have to tough it out. It's all about priorities... besides, I like seeing Beth sweaty! :D

#1,180 ·
George let's go easy on him....I think he's starting to imagine he's young again after hearing him talk about being away from the kids with Beth. We've seen him do this sort of thing before. Remember back when he thought all the ladies were looking at him when he first drove the CJ? He's a bit unstable, especially after being away from our wisdom and guidance so long. But another question. Where did the sanding dust from the fiberglass end up?

#1,183 ·
Jim I would say the jury is still out on this Imposter thing we all knowed to well that the Skipper suffers from CRS cant remember shinola

One more security question when you messed up your back
1 You were doing manly man things!
2 You werent doing manly man things!
3 You were reaching for a Pepsi

#1,188 ·
The MANLY thing I can't talk about... but it had to do with a romantic beachside resort, on an exclusive island, with no kids, and 25 years of experience!

George what out old friend is talking about here is all the nice naps he took with Beth waiting on him hand and foot and no interruptions from the boys! Yea you're right it's really him. I just can't believe we haven't seen a picture of his feet by now :laugh:

#1,190 ·
Hey Guys. I am trying to get back into the swing of things. After a TON of Life, I think I can get started again. Everything here is good, but many things could be better... like the lawn mower! I lost my two oldest boys to college, and that change has been significant. Clay has started his first year at UF, along with his older brother, who is in his 2nd year. I am driving Clay's Jeep everyday (YAHOO!) as he left it for me until I get my Jeep on the road. I got his Jeep stuck in the deer-woods last Saturday (twice) and about died in the heat. I got bear-caught bad, and it left me down and out for a day and a half. I have been piddling on the XJ, since it is the closest to being driveable, trying to finish up the long arms. Clay welded the cross member for me and warped it, so I have to start over! Beth got a job teaching at a Christian private school, so money flow should be a little better. Let's me breathe a little easier.

I have missed talking with ya'll and the camaraderie of the forum. I hope everyone is well. Looking forward to getting back on the horse!

#1,192 ·
Scott you didn't loose two boys. You sent off two young men to make their mark in the world and start a life of their own. I'll speak for many here by saying this, so you pay attention. Dude. You of all that I know on here have devoted so many hours of your life to your family and we have been blesses to have had you let us see a part of that by posting pictures and telling us what's going on. Your sons have showed respect for not only you and Beth but for us too. I well remember one day I talked with Clay on the phone hearing him address me as "SIR". Those kids in St. Louis that were doing all of that looting would be better kids if they'd have had a mom and dad like your kids have had. So you see my friend even though there are times you may think you haven't accomplished much in life I beg to differ. You don't more than many could ever hope to do. You have 4 boys that unless they turn down a bad road in life will be some of the best citizens this nation has had. It's just the way it ought to be and should be normal but sad to say it's not. So you go tell your wife that those of us that know you think you two have done a great job of parenting. But it aint over buddy!!! I hope you have the biggest bunch of grandkids that 4 sons can give you. Then you get to start all over and make sure they grow up to be real MEN or LADIES! So it all continues my dear friend!

#1,193 ·
Jim1611 said:
Scott you didn't loose two boys. You sent off two young men to make their mark in the world and start a life of their own. I'll speak for many here by saying this, so you pay attention. Dude. You of all that I know on here have devoted so many hours of your life to your family and we have been blesses to have had you let us see a part of that by posting pictures and telling us what's going on. Your sons have showed respect for not only you and Beth but for us too. I well remember one day I talked with Clay on the phone hearing him address me as "SIR". Those kids in St. Louis that were doing all of that looting would be better kids if they'd have had a mom and dad like your kids have had. So you see my friend even though there are times you may think you haven't accomplished much in life I beg to differ. You don't more than many could ever hope to do. You have 4 boys that unless they turn down a bad road in life will be some of the best citizens this nation has had. It's just the way it ought to be and should be normal but sad to say it's not. So you go tell your wife that those of us that know you think you two have done a great job of parenting. But it aint over buddy!!! I hope you have the biggest bunch of grandkids that 4 sons can give you. Then you get to start all over and make sure they grow up to be real MEN or LADIES! So it all continues my dear friend!
Well said Jim. I agree 100%!

Bill

#1,195 ·
Glad things are looking up. When I was a kid I always had a bit of a distant relationship with my folks. It wasn't until I was about halfway done with college that I finally felt like I could sit down and talk with them and we were on the same level and really enjoy the time together. Probably that was around the time when I gained enough maturity to be an adult. Ever since then, I like hanging out with my parents, talking about serious stuff, and those kinds of things.

#1,198 ·
Well, well... when I get done cryin, and my head will once again fit through the doorway, I'll show you some pics!

Thank you, Gentlemen. Very kind words indeed.

#1,205 ·
I read it here first, but I had to go and do it! I drove over the top of a tree stump that was perfect height. It centered perfectly under the housing on the AMC 20 and picked both rear tires right off the ground! The front axle has not been regeared, so the drive shaft is not installed. But I will remedy that this coming week! This happened on my lease, which is all about 3 year old pine. The trees are planted in raised beds, and we were driving between the rows trying to get to the oak hammocks. No shovel, No jack, No winch, No nothing, but a lease partner was nearby and he came and pulled me out with his F350. Embarrassing, because I know better. But a stupid moment, nonetheless!

#1,202 ·
Alrighty then...

Here are some pics of our 25th anniversary at Jekyll Island and our family vacation at Okefenokee Swamp (following post).

Starting with Jekyll Island... Beth's folks paid for us to have a long weekend, kid free, including a half-day offshore. I really enjoyed the island. It is small, quiet, and slow. Offshore was rough. Beth got sick, and I felt bad for much of the trip. Boat was a 34' Contender with twin 250 Yammies.

The beach...

The Contender. The owner offered to sell it to me for $42,000. I was tempted. He is retiring. What a great riding boat.

My Mopar fish...

Some kind of jellyfish! They don't sting. The Captain said they are good bait for Spadefish. He called 'em jellyballs. We just watched for them and scooped them up with a net. You cut them up and chum with them. The Spadefish come to the surface to eat, then you throw your baited line amongst them. Never done this before... but it worked very well!

Spadefish going after a whole jellyball...

A Spadefish. They ranged between 9 and 11 pounds. Great fight, but too short! VERY tasty fish. Very effective at converting jelly into meat!!

The reason I do what I do! She is my Baby for 25 years. A VERY tolerant woman.