Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

181K views 2K replies 85 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
This will be a very slow thread! Since Clay and I are building his 5 I am not really building my Jeep at this time, but there are a few things that I am doing along the way. I can't put them in Clay's thread, so here is mine.

Her name is Lizzie. She's a 1985 CJ7 I got from a guy up in Hawkinsville, Georgia. She had sat in the woods for 5 years until I saw her and talked the guy into selling her to me. I got her for $1750. So far Lizzie has received a bench seat (from a Commando), MC2100, some gaskets, 2.5" RC suspension lift, ProComp 9000 shocks, and all poly suspension bushings. She is Nuttered and runs well. I am redoing the spare tire carrier and she just got some new wipers and dimmer switch.

Today I was replacing a wheel cylinder when AJ and his son JR pulled up. They helped me bleed the brakes and we discovered my Master Cylinder was bad. So we started to rebuild it. Used to be you could do that for about $3, buying a seal kit, but we discovered you can't find the seal kit anymore. So bought a reman master from Auto Zone for $18 plus the core.

Here are some pics of AJ working on the old master before we learned that we couldn't rebuild it, and some more pics of bench bleeding the new reman unit.

This is JR. He's as good a mechanic as his dad, AJ. Sitting next to JR is the old master cylinder disassembled.

To disassemble the master you have to remove the snap ring where the piston rod goes into the body. Then you carefully pull everything out. There are two plungers. The second one will be inside the body of the master. We used air pressure to force it out.

AJ buffing the lip so the lid will make a good seal.

Cleaned up and ready for the lid.

AJ used this tool to clean the bore of the master. The metal rod has a slot in the end. He used some sandpaper.

Wind it up on the rod.

Insert it into the bore and slowly spin the rod, cleaning the bore.

This is when we discovered we couldn't find a seal kit and opted for a reman. So we changed gears.

Here is the new reman master. I stuck it in my vise to prepare it for bench bleeding. I want to polish the lip so the lid will seal well. I used a metal file to do this. Keep it flat at all times. Protect the inlets from dust and trash.

Lots of filings.

Blow it out and level it in the vise.

Attach the bleeder nipples and tubes as described in the directions. Keep the ends of the tubes away from the inlets inside the reservoirs. You don't want to keep recirculating the air that will pump through the tubes.

Add clean fluid to the reservoirs, making sure the ends of the tubes are covered. Add fluid as needed to keep the tubes covered.

Push in slowly on the piston to begin the bleeding process. This will take you around a half-hour, more or less. Go slow. The directions say to use short strokes.

Bubbles!

Once all the air is removed top off the reservoirs, remove the tubes, and cap the nipples. You are ready to install.

Sorry for the super long post! But that will be all for awhile! :D

See less See more
#1,058 ·
Hey Egul... how 'bout a pepper report!? You like it alright??

I finally got my tranny out of my Jeep. One bolt that goes inside the bellhousing was spinning (bottom right corner). I cut it off with a wheel. Now what do I do with it? Fix it myself (I want to) or send it out (in the interest of time)?? The input shaft bearing is toast (pilot shaft bearing). Thinking about a master rebuild kit but I'm not sure which one. Qtec uses Koyo bearings, and Morris uses Timken bearings. Morris is $100 more expensive! Oh, what to do, what to do...

Attachments

#1,065 ·
Hey Scott. The kits are all going to be close to the same parts other than the bearings. Timken's are my brand of choice as well. Just so you know they are no longer made in the USA. I went with the kit from Novak. Its more expensive, however their tech support is par to none. When I did my rebuild I could call and talk to a guy who actually rebuilds T-176's for living and get definitive answers. You can get great support here as well..

#1,067 ·
Didn't think about Novak. Thanks, MoC. My limited experience with them has been very good. mI'll check them out.

Peppers, motorcycles, renovations, and alien probing. MAN I had some catchup to do! It's amazing the Jeep gets any attention. ;) Glad you are doing OK.
Hey Bud. Glad you dropped by. I am following your thread closely. We are all good... just ultra busy!

#1,070 ·
Here is a little bit of MY Jeep saga...

My tranny was making an awful sound, and I determined it was the input shaft bearing. I pulled the tranny and xmember, then took them to a friend's shop. They are now finished. The input shaft in both units was toast! Apparently, when the splines failed in the tranny it caused the splines to fail in the crossmember. Par for the course. I will give details once I pick everything up. The tranny was pretty significant in the cost of repairs, and, apparently, it is not easy to locate a new input shaft for a D300. ALMOST went automatic here, but the shop found a new shaft through AA.

I have to buy tires since my tires are now on Fallon's XJ!

I have been on the search for a carrier and gears for my 20. After getting bashed posting a thread asking for help, I received contact resources from a couple of CJers. I received a ring and pinion from GB3440, and I am working with jodowil2 for a carrier. MANY THANKS goes out to these fellow JF Members who have gone out of their way to help me. I appreciate it very much. I now have a set of 3.54 gears to install once I can solidify the carrier. This will go nicely with the D30 gears Bill sent me for Clay's Jeep, and my Jeep, so long ago.

I don't understand the mentality of JF members who complain about someone posting a thread requesting help locating parts. Really!? You are freakin' kidding me! If anybody on this forum has shopped the JF classifieds for CJ parts you will know it is slim pickings much of the time. And if you glaze over CL every single day of your life then you will know, too, that opportunities are sometimes there, and sometimes not. In my neck of the woods, mostly not. Maybe you have time to waste. I don't. The forum is all about helping fellow Jeepers. There is no other purpose... period. If all you want is social outpouring then go to FB. If you don't like my threads, then don't click on them. You are totally and completely, without malice, uninvited. I don't have time for you, and I have no interest in you.

#1,071 ·
Skerr,

Did you survive the cold? Hope all is well...

#1,074 ·
Skerr,

Did you survive the cold? Hope all is well...
We did, but I have been cold all week long! I don't know how the northerners do it. We had a light dusting of snow which really looked more like ice pellets when viewed closely. Truck doors frozen shut! Jiminy. Supposed to be in the 70s this weekend. No wonder we're always sick down here!

If I have something and another JF member is in need consider it done Pay it Forward people it works. The classifieds bite they need to work on them for sure.
Absolutely! That has been taught to me since the first month of becoming a member. I have received, therefore I give. No charge. If I have it, and you need it, then cover the shipping. I heard some very favorable remarks about your generosity roboto, from another JFer. Kudos to you and the 304 heads. I heard your also a Tug Captain?? That sounds like a cool job.

Scott, Feel free to address me directly. The point is soliciting is against the rules. If you don't like the rules, contact the owners, don't bad mouth the messenger.

I've been in the market for a set of 3:54 axles for over 2 years. I've resisted the urge to solicit for them here because I respect the rules, and I agree with their intent. Your mileage obviously varies, and I respect that right, as well.

Matt
Matt, you are not a designated messenger. Sometimes a message is not worth delivering. You can believe, as a member of a Jeep forum, if I have a need, I will ask for help. That's why we are here. You post in the forum that receives the most viewing. Posting in a forum where your request will not be viewed is a waste of time. If the Moderators have a problem with me I expect them to say so. It's not your job. But you were not alone, and I am not blaming you. Thank you for stepping up. My rant is done. Let's get back to being friends. :wave:

#1,073 ·
Scott, Feel free to address me directly. The point is soliciting is against the rules. If you don't like the rules, contact the owners, don't bad mouth the messenger.

I've been in the market for a set of 3:54 axles for over 2 years. I've resisted the urge to solicit for them here because I respect the rules, and I agree with their intent. Your mileage obviously varies, and I respect that right, as well.

Matt

#1,077 ·

Matt
I thought we had moderators to do the job you seem to have anointed yourself for. You've wasted plenty of bandwidth on things yourself. Are you hyper-sensative to rules and making sure everyone obeys them? Or maybe a troll picking at decent people?

#1,078 ·
Scott - If you need something and you think I might have it, feel free to ask me, in any thread! That goes for the rest of you too. This is a MESSAGE board and help from it's users isn't limited to typed words and pictures. There is a difference between soliciting business for profit and selling or requesting parts for a project. Nuff said....

#1,082 ·
Hey Paul. I hope you are feeling better. It seems like everyone around here is sick. I will throw this in... since Beth started me in on Vitamin D supplements I have not been sick. Everybody at work is sick, throwing up, snotting all over the place, and I have not had so much as a headache. So maybe there is something to V-D!!

#1,083 ·
I picked up my tranny and Tcase from the shop today. The T176 main shaft had to be replaced. They are, apparently, difficult to find. The main shaft wear caused the D300 shaft to wear also, and that, too, had to be replaced. I have the old parts if anyone is interested in seeing the wear patterns on the two shafts. The mechanic explained the wear as being from the loading and unloading, constantly, while driving. So I guess it is par for the course, but it cost me $700! I am wishing I had gone ahead with junkyard motor and tranny and did the 4.3/4L60 swap. I feel like it would not have cost much more.

I recieved carrier and gears from jodowil2. This enables me to get my axle rebuilt and back on the road. Many, many thanks to jodowil2 and GB3440 for the gears and carrier, and ESPECIALLY for the fellowship and brotherhood associated with CJers. Pay it forward...

#1,084 ·
Glad they're going to work for you.
$700.00! Ya, I figured it was bad internals with that price. What indicators did you have that let you know there was a problem?
I know what you mean about questioning the wisdom of an original rebuild or swap for newer technology. With the $ I spent on rebuilding my 304, T150, and Dana 20 plus the new carburetor I could have come real close to a Chevy LSx motor and transmission swap. Live-n-learn!

#1,086 ·
Actually, what caused me to take it off the road was a loud, roaring/grinding sound while running in neutral. I could mash the clutch and the sound would go away. This was fairly soon after a new clutch install, and I wondered if the throw-out bearing was bad, so I had that changed. Then I determined it was the bearing on the front of the tranny case, and I was afraid it would grenade. The mechanic told me the noise was coming from a shaft (lower shaft in the tranny). The front bears most of the pressure, and it was pitted, causing the noise. I look at it and don't understand how that pitting could cause that noise, but I trust the man! However, IMO, the noise was coming from the poor meshing of the shaft splines. Any way you look at it, my tranny is like new!

How's that go birds of a feather lol
I think it is time for me to moult! :rofl: My feathers are pretty worn!

#1,088 ·
Wow... glad they can have fun on my dime!

Looked thru you threads. Looks like y'all have had nice weather to be working outside! We just dig ourselves out every few days it seems. Not very productive time of year for us :/

#1,089 ·
Wow... glad they can have fun on my dime!

Looked thru you threads. Looks like y'all have had nice weather to be working outside! We just dig ourselves out every few days it seems. Not very productive time of year for us :/
The weather has been cyclical. We are going through a nice spell this week. it will turn off HOT too soon for my taste. I love these balmy 70 degree days.

We have been working on the XJ, building the longarms. Finally have them installed.

#1,090 ·
Skerr said:
HAD to post this link! Not trying to start a political discussion, but I HAD to post this. This is a perfect example of what's happening to America.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/image/welfare_web_20121018_0001/
This is wrong in so many ways, Really isnt a surprise though.
Rant on......
The local Kroger store where we shop for food at the firehouse ( every third day of the week) is the closest to to the hood. I swear we are the only ones paying cash. It seems like everyone else is using a link card .

We have a couple of hi end meat markets in our city, it make me sick when I see steaks at $8 to $12 and more a pound being paid for with the "card" . This is usually on the 1st or 15th of the month. I guess that's why I buy steaks mostly at Kroger when there on sale. I don't have a Goverment card. It's nice to see people eating so well on my dime though.
Rant off.

Bill

#1,092 ·
Political correctness has been very bad fot this country. The video was very good, the Times article makes me sick. This government is even running adds south of the border telling those folks about the welfare state we have here.

I was thinking today, Scott, that any culture that has denied God falls into ruin. Just look at Israel. History trudges on.

#1,093 ·
Political correctness has been very bad fot this country. The video was very good, the Times article makes me sick. This government is even running adds south of the border telling those folks about the welfare state we have here.

I was thinking today, Scott, that any culture that has denied God falls into ruin. Just look at Israel. History trudges on.
So ironic that you are the first to view the link. I was wondering if I should call you early tomorrow to tell you to do so!