Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7 - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #286
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Here is my WS frame after 2 apps of Ospho, curing for 24 hours each app. Pic of it as I removed it from the hanger, and a pic after wire brushing. I guess I will get some stripper to remove the remaining paint, but in the meantime, the rust is stopped. Notice the holes. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I would really like to avois welding on this frame, because of the warp factor, but it may be unavoidable.

Maybe I'll see if I can just encase it in DuraGlas.

Hmmm... Brown Santa just pulled up!!!!

cimg0038_1.jpg   cimg0039_1.jpg   cimg0041_1.jpg   cimg0043_1.jpg   cimg0044_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #287
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Happy Feet!
cimg0025_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 11-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #288
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Much mo betta than them stinky ole shoes you used to say was your hi performance slippers.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #289
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Much mo betta than them stinky ole shoes you used to say was your hi performance slippers.
They are STILL high performance. That's why I can run so fast, cut so sharp, and jump so high! Dontchu no nuthin?

Unread 11-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #290
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

Happy Feet!
Looks like you can stick your foot right up a imates azz with those!

Frame is coming along nice!
Unread 11-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #291
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Looks like you can stick your foot right up a imates azz with those!

Frame is coming along nice!
Shoulda bought a pair of these years ago. VERY nice!

The WS frame is drowning me in sorrow!

Unread 11-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #292
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

O brother, you want some cheese with your wine.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #293
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

See Skipper you shoot yer self in the foot with an AK-47 then reload and do the same thing again.

You dont try to remove rust while your drowning the item in tears.

And don try to electric weld when your tears are a streaming, thats a good way to get shocked!
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #294
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I would think with those short flat surfaces and 90 degree angles, that the metal wouldn't warp easily. Provided you went slow and kept it cool, and only used tack welds instead of short stitch welds.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #295
spward

1985 CJ7 

A long, long time ago I was working for a company that sold chemical pumps. I had to pickup some parts at a welders and noticed a guy welding on a magnet attached to a shaft that was in a bucket of ice. That was the only way to keep it cool during the process. Not sure if this would help.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #296
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

OHH- EMM- GEE!

This windshield frame is making me butt-stuck! I thought, just this morning, I would get SMART and sand-blast the poor little critter. But I have spent all the live-loong DAY on it. I am tired. I am hungry. Wife!! Where's me tay?

So... I picked up me little bags of sand and started dumping it in the hopper. Only to find that some of it was wet. Soooooooo... I spread it out on the driveway to dry in the placid sun. Low heat, low humidity today. Perfect for sandblasting. Dried in 45 minutes. Good to go.

I had trouble from the start. The old paint blasted right off the frame, but I lost air pressure so quickly that I couldn't get anything done. I constantly had to stop and let the tank pressurize, and my compressor (60 gallon) never, ever caught up. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo... I went and disced up the garden!

After the garden was done, and I had my mind right, I came back to the WS frame. UGH! I was having the same issue, and I got to thinking about all the sand I was wasting, so I supposed that if I put a smaller nozzle in the deadman it would use less air and concentrate the sand more, should go faster... right?

DUH! I replaced the nozzle, and the old one was completely shot. The new nozzle made all the difference, and it went speedily. Of course, my next-door neighbor came over and stopped me... he needed help moving a dead goat! So after moving the dead goat I finished the frame in, like, 15 minutes. I hung the spotless frame and shot it with Ospho.

I do NOT plan to go through all this with the whole Jeep. Ain't gonna do it! Here are some action shots...

1) HF 110# blaster. Works good when you strain the sand. I'm using play sand. Operates best between 60-100 PSI. My 60 Gal compressor will not keep up with that. Okay at 45 PSI.
2) My frame partially done. I taped the holes with masking tape, thinking I would keep the sand out of the frame, but that was a truly dumb idea! Didn't work, and the tape is next to impossible to get off after it has been sand blasted!! So don't so that!
3) Frame is done. Finally. All freakin day!
4) Bad spot... new metal going here.
5) Worn out tip, and the reason it was difficult.
img_0274_1.jpg   img_0275_1.jpg   img_0276_1.jpg   img_0277_1.jpg   img_0278_1.jpg  

Unread 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #297
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I did my whole frame with the exact same blaster on a 60 gallon compressor. Took almost a month. Went through probably 800 pounds of sand, which turned my gravel driveway into a nice sandbox! Was my first time sandblasting, and didn't realize the nozzles wear out until I was about half way done, haha! Started replacing nozzles for every 100 pounds of sand, and it went alot quicker!
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #298
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
I did my whole frame with the exact same blaster on a 60 gallon compressor. Took almost a month. Went through probably 800 pounds of sand, which turned my gravel driveway into a nice sandbox! Was my first time sandblasting, and didn't realize the nozzles wear out until I was about half way done, haha! Started replacing nozzles for every 100 pounds of sand, and it went alot quicker!
Im a sandblasting Noob! I thought you just dumped in the sand, connected the air, and blasted! It isn't a LOT different than that, but there are some things I learned that are helpful.

Strain the sand, unless you are using a quality media. I use my wife's large ktichen strainer. She's still a little touchy about that... guess I better replace it. I really don't like gritty M&C!

Keep a good tip on the gun/nozzle (deadman).

I went through 200# of sand on the frame!! After changing the nozzle it was very efficient.

Unread 11-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #299
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Haha I took my stuff to the sandblaster/powdercoater and got both done for $200 with a color change

image-4150466068.jpg

image-3535457645.jpg

image-2552372734.jpg

image-3710852189.jpg
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #300
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Yeah, I remember that Trent. Came out real nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.