Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7 - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #256
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Got a little Freebie today!! All I had to do was take it down. Sister lost her house to foreclosure. Wish I had the money to buy it. It's a nice little house on 5 acres, surrounded by farm fields. It's yours for ~$75,000. House is dirty, but in excellent shape. Wood floors, new tile, new well... what a shame. Now she lives in the "projects" in low income housing.

Here is my work crew... my two youngest. They did well. DQ for them!
Here is a wooden shed I can get if I can figure out how to load it and get it the 20 miles to my house. 8'X10" outside measurement.
Here is the carport on the trailer. Took about an hour to disassemble. Now to figure out where to put it.
And the lost house.

You discover the mettle of a man when you see how he overcomes adversity. It seems like every day that some inconvenience, some minor, some major, slaps you upside the head, and tries to bring you down. When you make an effort to defeat that problem you always win! Never have I been left without resources or strength or health. I will always pay my bills. I will always live within my means. I will conquer everything that causes me discomfort. I will treat people with respect. God gives me the Grace, and I give Him the Glory! Amen.
Amen Brother!

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #257
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
why i need a gun!
You call that a gun!

Here's what I have in mind. Pretty handy when you need just a bit more than concealed carry.
345758-a10-warthog-chaingun_view.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #258
MoC
1986 CJ7 

yummm GUA-8
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #259
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

that looks like a fun toy
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #260
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

by the way congrats on starting on your own jeep
Unread 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #261
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Jeep stuff is on the back burner for a bit. We have "other" things to get done first. I have to pat my two youngest on the backs, so to speak. They have done well disassembling and assembling this carport. They have enjoyed it and worked well together. Of course, Dad has been present, and I let Mom get involved whenever they get out of line! So they toe the line pretty well. Here is the carport nearly complete. I ran out of screws, so a trip to town is in order. Virtually, a little muscle and some supervision is all I have done. This is their work. Completed pics later.

I should point out now that if you have a weak stomach you should NOT look at the pics. The Squaw had to intervene on one account, and she totally freaked the camera out! Psycho woman!
cimg0002_1_1.jpg   cimg0005_1_1.jpg   cimg0010_1_1.jpg   cimg0011_1_1.jpg   cimg0011_2_1.jpg  

cimg0033_1_1.jpg   cimg0014_1_1.jpg   cimg0015_1_1.jpg   cimg0018_1_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #262
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Kiving on the edge again old boy? Squaw? She's too good to you you know!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #263
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Well Skipper it looks like after beating you to a pulp Beth is getting the boys to build a shed.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #264
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Kiving on the edge again old boy? Squaw? She's too good to you you know!
She treats me pretty fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Well Skipper it looks like after beating you to a pulp Beth is getting the boys to build a shed.
She says I'm moving there!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #265
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Look at this way Skipper its a dog house with a view!
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #266
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Hey birthday boy! Well with the election and all, plus Vicki's tight reign on Jeep related stuff, we had to cut back.

So here's your cards, yes your getting 2 of them.

image-1858381964.jpg

image-1673861238.jpg

image-958204632.jpg

image-4179395295.jpg

Have a great night my friend, Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #267
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Happy Birthday!!!
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #268
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

What a great card!!! And the thong?? Not only did I put it on backwards, but also upside down! Too funny Bill. And Thank You Turtle. It's been a great day.

Unread 11-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #269
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I pulled my WS frame this morning. I have been soaking the hinge bolts for several weeks with Blaster, and most recently, Sili-Kroil. Bill sent that to me. It's amazing stuff! Initially, 6 of the 8 bolts broke loose. These are the bolts that go into the frame, not the cowl. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with Torx bit. If you are doing this for the first time, and you don't have a lot of experience breaking bolts loose, you need to keep in mind that everything has a breaking point. You can't just get on the bolt, lean into it, and expect it to pop loose. It might, but you might break your bit, or worse, strip the bolt head. Any of those results compounds the difficulty of removing the bolt. It's ALWAYS easiest to remove a bolt with the original head, so be patient and work at it. In the end, I used my little propane torch to heat the area around the bolt, and yes, it burnt the paint, but the bolts came right out. And the Jeep will be painted anyway.

The rust along the bottom of the frame is all surface (Thank You, Jesus!). No rust has penetrated into the inside of the frame, but the metal is definitely thinner as a result of the pitting. I plan to wire-wheel it, Ospho it, paint it, and put it back together. I will also tape up all of the holes and dump some Ospho inside the frame and roll it around. Then maybe some paint... POR?? I have some...

Unread 11-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #270
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I got started on the WS frame a bit ago. It's rougher than I hoped, but a keeper. Here are the pics of the sequence. My PLAN was to wire-wheel the rust off, Ospho those areas, and prime/paint it just so I could drive it. But plans change, and the WS needs more than that. I had to go deeper. As always...

After removing the hinges I found shiny, bare metal! I'm guessing the paint is stuck to the backside of the hinge. I haven't looked... it doesn't matter. Rust is starting, and if left untended this frame would be toast.

Here is a pic of the bottom lip after the cowl seal is removed. This is better than I expected.

Corners wire-wheeled...

I had also planned to wire-wheel the screw holes since rust can start there very easily.

But then I noticed these little suspicious spots, and I knew I couldn't leave the glass in the frame.

So with my heart in my throat, hoping for good times, I removed the glass. I could have kept the rubber seal, but my last seal fit well, and they're only $20, soooooooooo...
First, I undercut the rubber.

Then I cut right down the middle.

This is what it looks like after cutting and removing the seal.

Pops right out...

See...

So here is the first ugly spot, right under the wiper motor bracket. Gonna have to remove that too.

Drill out the rivets...

Chiseled off the heads...

The rivet body is left in the frame. Just pop them through with a pointed tool. I used this screwdriver.

Ta-Dah! No more rivets.

Wire-wheeling the crud.

More later...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.