Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

181K views 2K replies 85 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
This will be a very slow thread! Since Clay and I are building his 5 I am not really building my Jeep at this time, but there are a few things that I am doing along the way. I can't put them in Clay's thread, so here is mine.

Her name is Lizzie. She's a 1985 CJ7 I got from a guy up in Hawkinsville, Georgia. She had sat in the woods for 5 years until I saw her and talked the guy into selling her to me. I got her for $1750. So far Lizzie has received a bench seat (from a Commando), MC2100, some gaskets, 2.5" RC suspension lift, ProComp 9000 shocks, and all poly suspension bushings. She is Nuttered and runs well. I am redoing the spare tire carrier and she just got some new wipers and dimmer switch.

Today I was replacing a wheel cylinder when AJ and his son JR pulled up. They helped me bleed the brakes and we discovered my Master Cylinder was bad. So we started to rebuild it. Used to be you could do that for about $3, buying a seal kit, but we discovered you can't find the seal kit anymore. So bought a reman master from Auto Zone for $18 plus the core.

Here are some pics of AJ working on the old master before we learned that we couldn't rebuild it, and some more pics of bench bleeding the new reman unit.

This is JR. He's as good a mechanic as his dad, AJ. Sitting next to JR is the old master cylinder disassembled.

To disassemble the master you have to remove the snap ring where the piston rod goes into the body. Then you carefully pull everything out. There are two plungers. The second one will be inside the body of the master. We used air pressure to force it out.

AJ buffing the lip so the lid will make a good seal.

Cleaned up and ready for the lid.

AJ used this tool to clean the bore of the master. The metal rod has a slot in the end. He used some sandpaper.

Wind it up on the rod.

Insert it into the bore and slowly spin the rod, cleaning the bore.

This is when we discovered we couldn't find a seal kit and opted for a reman. So we changed gears.

Here is the new reman master. I stuck it in my vise to prepare it for bench bleeding. I want to polish the lip so the lid will seal well. I used a metal file to do this. Keep it flat at all times. Protect the inlets from dust and trash.

Lots of filings.

Blow it out and level it in the vise.

Attach the bleeder nipples and tubes as described in the directions. Keep the ends of the tubes away from the inlets inside the reservoirs. You don't want to keep recirculating the air that will pump through the tubes.

Add clean fluid to the reservoirs, making sure the ends of the tubes are covered. Add fluid as needed to keep the tubes covered.

Push in slowly on the piston to begin the bleeding process. This will take you around a half-hour, more or less. Go slow. The directions say to use short strokes.

Bubbles!

Once all the air is removed top off the reservoirs, remove the tubes, and cap the nipples. You are ready to install.

Sorry for the super long post! But that will be all for awhile! :D

See less See more
#523 ·
Matt1981CJ7 said:
Decals? WTH? Does any CJ work ever happen on this thread? :p

Matt
What happens is excuses,
1.) Clays Jeep.
2.) Buying a 3B.
3.) Potatoes?
4.) Im tired,
5.) A pool table causing a remodel of the Family/Kitchen area of the house.
6.) "My back hurts. "
7.) "I can't get motivated, Im tired, don't feel like doing anything today".
8.) To much time on JF.
9.) This is a good one, taking pictures of his feet/comphy shoes, usually propped up on something .
10.) Buying a XJ, and then attempting to hang out with the Yuppie crowd.
11.) Spending hours in front of the computer, trying to think of a snappy come back to Gmakra or Lucdog.
I'm sure there's more!

Bill

#524 ·
lucdog said:
What happens is excuses,
1.) Clays Jeep.
2.) Buying a 3B.
3.) Potatoes?
4.) Im tired,
6.) "My back hurts. "
8.) To much time on JF.
9.) This is a good one, taking pictures of his feet/comphy shoes, usually propped up on something .

I'm sure there's more!

Bill
Just another day in the office fir Scott seems to me

#526 ·
lucdog said:
What happens is excuses,
1.) Clays Jeep.
2.) Buying a 3B.
3.) Potatoes?
4.) Im tired,
6.) "My back hurts. "
8.) To much time on JF.
11.) Spending hours in front of the computer, trying to think of a snappy come back to Gmakra or Lucdog.
I'm sure there's more!

Bill
He also analyzes my sock and calls them names.

#530 ·
Good morning Boyzzz. Yes, I said Boys. As I sit here and drink my coffee, preparing to go to the job I have for those days when I am off from my REGULAR job (that is... PART-time job for all you dunderheads), I contemplate the day, gazing through the window glass, admiring the beautiful landscape, pleased with the 71* temperature high, knowing I will be strolling casually in shorts and wife-beater, toes snuggling-up to the grass, while you poor, poor sops freeze your nads so badly they clawww they're way back inside so deeply that you re-engage puberty all the way to childhood!

:fistlaugh:

:p

#534 ·
Not everybody here knows what you really look like, not till now anyway! :D

Sorry I missed your call. I've been engrosed in welding, grinding and such all day making a bunch of noise. Had three phone messages this afternoon and the answering machine took them all, well that's all that left messages anyway. Be good and get that wife beater t-shirt off so you don't be mean to your sweet wife.

#533 ·
My nads are well insulated.

#536 ·
^^THIS!!^^:highfive:

#541 ·
Here's how I did the spring perch. Checked it with a straight edge to get it flat. I believe it's 3*.

Wood Bumper Tool Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

The back one is stock.

Bill

#542 ·
So you ground down just the corner? I am having trouble with the perspective...

This pic is a result of a conversation Bill and I had on the phone. It is about adjusting caster on a D30. Grinding down the spring perch as opposed to using shims.

Thanks, Bill.

#543 ·
Skerr said:
So you ground down just the corner? I am having trouble with the perspective...

This pic is a result of a conversation Bill and I had on the phone. It is about adjusting caster on a D30. Grinding down the spring perch as opposed to using shims.

Thanks, Bill.
Ya it's hard to see. If you were to lay a 2 or 3 degree wedge on the perch the wide part would be on the left side. I started 3/16" from the right hand side, with the grinding. I used a factory perch to gauge where I was . I wanted about 3/16 to a 1/4" gone on the left side.

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Natural material Tool

Artifact Wood Natural material Auto part Metal

Bill

#544 ·
'Sup sport?:wave: