Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 01-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

This will be a very slow thread! Since Clay and I are building his 5 I am not really building my Jeep at this time, but there are a few things that I am doing along the way. I can't put them in Clay's thread, so here is mine.

Her name is Lizzie. She's a 1985 CJ7 I got from a guy up in Hawkinsville, Georgia. She had sat in the woods for 5 years until I saw her and talked the guy into selling her to me. I got her for $1750. So far Lizzie has received a bench seat (from a Commando), MC2100, some gaskets, 2.5" RC suspension lift, ProComp 9000 shocks, and all poly suspension bushings. She is Nuttered and runs well. I am redoing the spare tire carrier and she just got some new wipers and dimmer switch.

Today I was replacing a wheel cylinder when AJ and his son JR pulled up. They helped me bleed the brakes and we discovered my Master Cylinder was bad. So we started to rebuild it. Used to be you could do that for about $3, buying a seal kit, but we discovered you can't find the seal kit anymore. So bought a reman master from Auto Zone for $18 plus the core.

Here are some pics of AJ working on the old master before we learned that we couldn't rebuild it, and some more pics of bench bleeding the new reman unit.

This is JR. He's as good a mechanic as his dad, AJ. Sitting next to JR is the old master cylinder disassembled.

To disassemble the master you have to remove the snap ring where the piston rod goes into the body. Then you carefully pull everything out. There are two plungers. The second one will be inside the body of the master. We used air pressure to force it out.

AJ buffing the lip so the lid will make a good seal.

Cleaned up and ready for the lid.

AJ used this tool to clean the bore of the master. The metal rod has a slot in the end. He used some sandpaper.

Wind it up on the rod.

Insert it into the bore and slowly spin the rod, cleaning the bore.

This is when we discovered we couldn't find a seal kit and opted for a reman. So we changed gears.

Here is the new reman master. I stuck it in my vise to prepare it for bench bleeding. I want to polish the lip so the lid will seal well. I used a metal file to do this. Keep it flat at all times. Protect the inlets from dust and trash.

Lots of filings.

Blow it out and level it in the vise.

Attach the bleeder nipples and tubes as described in the directions. Keep the ends of the tubes away from the inlets inside the reservoirs. You don't want to keep recirculating the air that will pump through the tubes.

Add clean fluid to the reservoirs, making sure the ends of the tubes are covered. Add fluid as needed to keep the tubes covered.

Push in slowly on the piston to begin the bleeding process. This will take you around a half-hour, more or less. Go slow. The directions say to use short strokes.

Bubbles!

Once all the air is removed top off the reservoirs, remove the tubes, and cap the nipples. You are ready to install.

Sorry for the super long post! But that will be all for awhile!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

This is Lizzie. She is not street legal yet, so all we do is ride down to the stop sign, turn around, and come home! But one day...
100_0359_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
1983 CJ7 

Originally Posted by SonicR1Do you have a thread for your 7??? NO... don't want to have two Jeeps in pieces on the shop floor!

You ain't living if you don't have chit from more than one project scattered across your spread....didn't take you long to start a build thread Sir Scott

I like the bench seat, that is very cool!
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Originally Posted by SonicR1[I]

I have to agree. I don't remember seeing a bench seat in a CJ.

Nice work on the master cylinder. That's on of those things I still need to do and you made it look easy.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
bbc
1985 CJ7 

thats a serious beard on JR
and that chili beer looks interesting.
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
CJFF29
1979 CJ7 

Gotta get me some of that Chili Beer! Nice little write up on the bench bleed. Its the little things like smoothing out the lip I would never have thought of as a novice that I will never forget.Thank You! Also lovin that bench seat looks cool!
CJFF29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Skeer you are the same color as me with the same color pin strips, just different locations. We both also have the same hood and cowl oxidation.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

If it takes a half hour to bench bleed, I'll need a six pack of chili beer...
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Originally Posted by SonicR1Do you have a thread for your 7??? NO... don't want to have two Jeeps in pieces on the shop floor!

You ain't living if you don't have chit from more than one project scattered across your spread....didn't take you long to start a build thread Sir Scott

You crack me up! You're right. Bill got me to thinking about it. I'm not really building it yet, but I need a place to store the info, so the thread. Can't believe you pulled oout that quote!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
I have to agree. I don't remember seeing a bench seat in a CJ.

Nice work on the master cylinder. That's on of those things I still need to do and you made it look easy.
The bench gives more leg and head room, and my baby gets to sit next to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc View Post
thats a serious beard on JR
and that chili beer looks interesting.
AJ had a beard like that before his larynectomy. Now he can't wear a beard. And the chili beer IS interesting... came from a Cuban friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFF29 View Post
Gotta get me some of that Chili Beer! Nice little write up on the bench bleed. Its the little things like smoothing out the lip I would never have thought of as a novice that I will never forget.Thank You! Also lovin that bench seat looks cool!
Thanks. Glad to help. It is my first time doing it. It was not hard and the directions are straight-forward. It would, however, be difficult without a vise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Skeer you are the same color as me with the same color pin strips, just different locations. We both also have the same hood and cowl oxidation.
Glad to be your twin!! The color has grown on me and I think I'll go back to it. The original top color shows through where I pressure washed the old paint off. I like the black top better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
If it takes a half hour to bench bleed, I'll need a six pack of chili beer...
The beer is "interesting"! Not sure I like it HOT beer. I would guess it would burn you twice if you had a 6-pack!!

Unread 01-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wooo hoooo, I'm glad you documented the MC, I will be doing mine soon!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
twildt
1978 CJ5 

i remember that quote read your stuff 2 months ago, im with Dave, I knew you would have a post coming in soon! Good 2 c your thread, i'm patient -

Habitual MSC#2 in summer and MSC#4 in winter.
My CJ Rebuild - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tas-cj5-rebuild-1130279
My Youtube Channel - http://youtube.com/tawildt
Other Pics - http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k579/twildt/1978%20CJ-5/
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I woke up this morning with the anticipation of making my Jeep capable of stopping! Which is always a good thing... right? I mean, there are only so many big trees around at any given time, not to mention the detrimental affects of hitting even a small tree. So I had great hopes of working brakes after the new master cylinder was installed and bled. After coffee, I coaxed my wife to the shop and enlisted her help. She actually likes to work with me on the Jeep, but she also can't wait until Lizzie is road worthy!! Last night I bench bled the master, and it was ready for install. Following are some pics of the activity this morning.

The first thing you should address is the corrosion caused by a leaking master cylinder. This is what happens to your paint, and you can imagine, given enough time, what would happen to the metal on your firewall if you left this mess forever. I have to do something about it before mounting the new master.

So with a putty knife and wire brush and a can of carb cleaner, I cleaned up and degreased the area. This is a temporary fix until Lizzie goes under the knife.... which will happen when we finish the 5.

My wife is wire-wheeling the bolt threads before mounting the cylinder. She's a good helper.

Here is the area cleaned up and painted with primer, and the new master installed. I have to tell you, getting your hands under the dash and connecting the piston to the brake pedal was a major PITA! My wife actually did it, and she did it quickly!! I'm going to have to buy her something... maybe a new oil pressure gauge??

Now she is topping off the reservoirs as we get ready to bleed the brakes. At this point, we are gravity bleeding all four at once. This took about 10 minutes. Be sure and put something down, cardboard, etc, to control the mess. If you have tubing to attach to the bleeders you can catch all four wheels.

After gravity bleeding we went through the sequence of bleeding them by each wheel, starting with RR, then LR, RF and LF. The brakes pumped up nice, and that's the first time Lizzie has had any kind of stopping power since I got her. Keep in mind that although I have brakes, they are still manual, and MUCH, much different then what you are used to in a modern vehicle. Wifey ready to go!

After the test drive, in the rain, with my new wipers and my new brakes, I discovered my brake lights were still on after parking her back inside the shop. I reached down and pulled up on the brake pedal and the pedal came up, all of a sudden, higher than the clutch pedal! Everything is still good. Everything still works. Nothing appeared to have "broken". The brake lights remain off, but the pedal is high. You could get used to it, but it bugs me! What did I do wrong, and how do I get the pedal back to where it is even with the clutch??

Unread 01-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I remember swapping out the rear in my TJ and having my wife help me with the brakes. She griped about helping, but she sure loved driving it!!!

When you gravity feed, do you have to push the pedal down or just leave everything alone? And can you do just front then back or do you have to do them all together?

Have no clues what you did to your pedal!!! :]

It's been raining here for a couple weeks, so it's about time you guys get it I got to work on the bike last night, great times, but it was in the rain. This is California, I thought we were in a preverbal drought!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
I remember swapping out the rear in my TJ and having my wife help me with the brakes. She griped about helping, but she sure loved driving it!!!

When you gravity feed, do you have to push the pedal down or just leave everything alone? And can you do just front then back or do you have to do them all together?
Have no clues what you did to your pedal!!! :]

It's been raining here for a couple weeks, so it's about time you guys get it I got to work on the bike last night, great times, but it was in the rain. This is California, I thought we were in a preverbal drought!!!
Don't know if there is a right way and a wrong way, but I would imagine you could do two at a time since they are on different reservoirs. You do not have to push the pedal. In fact, DON'T push the pedal! Truthfully, doing all four at once wasn't a challenge. The bleeders don't gush or anything like that. They just slowly ooze! So is the bike fixed?? What are you doing to it? Did you get my PM?

Unread 01-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got your PM, responded…

I got speed bleeders, I probably won't be able to use those for gravity bleed. Hmmm

I rode "the other" bike…

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.