Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Scott's Build Thread- 85 CJ7

181K views 2K replies 85 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
This will be a very slow thread! Since Clay and I are building his 5 I am not really building my Jeep at this time, but there are a few things that I am doing along the way. I can't put them in Clay's thread, so here is mine.

Her name is Lizzie. She's a 1985 CJ7 I got from a guy up in Hawkinsville, Georgia. She had sat in the woods for 5 years until I saw her and talked the guy into selling her to me. I got her for $1750. So far Lizzie has received a bench seat (from a Commando), MC2100, some gaskets, 2.5" RC suspension lift, ProComp 9000 shocks, and all poly suspension bushings. She is Nuttered and runs well. I am redoing the spare tire carrier and she just got some new wipers and dimmer switch.

Today I was replacing a wheel cylinder when AJ and his son JR pulled up. They helped me bleed the brakes and we discovered my Master Cylinder was bad. So we started to rebuild it. Used to be you could do that for about $3, buying a seal kit, but we discovered you can't find the seal kit anymore. So bought a reman master from Auto Zone for $18 plus the core.

Here are some pics of AJ working on the old master before we learned that we couldn't rebuild it, and some more pics of bench bleeding the new reman unit.

This is JR. He's as good a mechanic as his dad, AJ. Sitting next to JR is the old master cylinder disassembled.

To disassemble the master you have to remove the snap ring where the piston rod goes into the body. Then you carefully pull everything out. There are two plungers. The second one will be inside the body of the master. We used air pressure to force it out.

AJ buffing the lip so the lid will make a good seal.

Cleaned up and ready for the lid.

AJ used this tool to clean the bore of the master. The metal rod has a slot in the end. He used some sandpaper.

Wind it up on the rod.

Insert it into the bore and slowly spin the rod, cleaning the bore.

This is when we discovered we couldn't find a seal kit and opted for a reman. So we changed gears.

Here is the new reman master. I stuck it in my vise to prepare it for bench bleeding. I want to polish the lip so the lid will seal well. I used a metal file to do this. Keep it flat at all times. Protect the inlets from dust and trash.

Lots of filings.

Blow it out and level it in the vise.

Attach the bleeder nipples and tubes as described in the directions. Keep the ends of the tubes away from the inlets inside the reservoirs. You don't want to keep recirculating the air that will pump through the tubes.

Add clean fluid to the reservoirs, making sure the ends of the tubes are covered. Add fluid as needed to keep the tubes covered.

Push in slowly on the piston to begin the bleeding process. This will take you around a half-hour, more or less. Go slow. The directions say to use short strokes.

Bubbles!

Once all the air is removed top off the reservoirs, remove the tubes, and cap the nipples. You are ready to install.

Sorry for the super long post! But that will be all for awhile! :D

See less See more
#394 ·
I'm going to retract the F150 trip. It's only a 1/2 ton. Better get a real truck that can carry some weight, I'd hate for you to drive all the way up here, only to be able to carry back 6 pieces of real wood!

Bill

#396 ·
I'm going to retract the F150 trip. It's only a 1/2 ton. Better get a real truck that can carry some weight, I'd hate for you to drive all the way up here, only to be able to carry back 6 pieces of real wood!

Bill
Pics, or you're lying!

#395 ·
True story... I worked with a friend cutting hardwoods for firewood. This is back in college. My friend was a beast, a real monster of a man, with muscles on muscles. I never had any muscles, but I was strong. Busting firewood is fun, and you feel so dang macho! The Forestry Dept had clear cut an area and wind-rowed all the hardwoods. All we had to do is go cut and split... it was already "seasoned" wood. I picked out a tree around 24" in diameter, sawed it up to "stove length" pieces, and lined it up in a row so I could move down the row, busting and splitting. I carefully arranged each piece to be most effective when I blasted the 15# Monster Maul through it. My buddy, Dean, looked over at me and bet me $20 I couldn't split any of it. I had been working with him for awhile, and he knew what I could. I was insensed!! Y'all ever gotten that way? It was a pride thing now... so I bowed my back, hoisted that heavy wedge with the welded steel pipe handle high over my head (I'm 6'3" so I got some altitude!), and with bulging muscles, straining with anticipation, I liberated that unwitting piece of wood. The Monster Maul is a big wedge with a flat backside. 15# of whistling energy that is hard to pull out of the ground when you drive it right through the log. That was my goal. There is nothing on this earth that can repel such an irresistable force, except a piece of Sweet Gum! With all my macho, he-man strength, I blasted that piece of wood, and the maul bounced back so high and so fast, releasing all that stored energy, it nearly hit me in the forehead! Total shock, suprise, humility. Dean just laughed and cancelled the bet. He said he knew it was Sweet Gum. I thought it was Oak. They look very similar.

#397 ·
Wow... brings back memories and helps my anticipation- I've used one of those mauls since I was a kid. I did the race against the splitter too, won easily with energy to spare... it also gave me my only hernia. The instructions say never go back behind your head. Don't do it! That was a painful week of summer camp!

I said anticipation because I am actually going to be using it today! Been a year or so since I used it last, we'll see how sore I am tomorrow...

#399 ·
Just in case you don't look at my thread

I wasn't quite accurate on the 20" weighing 100 pounds. This piece weighs 220#'s when tilted and balanced on the scale. 18" long and 20" diameter
Pictures, with 1/2 the weight supported by the scale.

Attachment 525165

Attachment 525166

This more the doubles the weight of what's in the ravine, to over 5000#'s

Attachment 525171

Attachment 525172

Bill

Attachment 525187
For smaller pieces I split the in a old tire.

Tire Automotive tire Plant Wood Tread

#403 ·
Skerr said:
Ahhh... the 'ol monster maul. I see you have a puny 12 pounder. Mine, back when I had my firewood business (early to mid-80s), was 15 pounds. It's probably taller than Trent, too heavy for George, and if Bill had it he would weld it to his bumper.

And even though it was 15# and swung by the mightiest HE-MAN in the south, it don't go through Sweet Gum!
How tall was it? I'm 5'10" my maul is 10# and splitting elm is a pain. Oak and walnut ate amazing to split. An so is hickory.

#409 ·
Jim1611 said:
You're just too funny for an old guy. :rofl::rofl:
I try hard to out a smile on people's faces. I hope I did that for you Jim.

Darn Hash, I hope you didn't wear out the recliner taking pictures. I gotta get the GS some bibs.

Bill

#410 ·
I've got some gin-u-wine Carhart bibbs I'll send you. Good shape too. You might need a box to stand on to get in 'em though!

#412 ·
I know what GS means!!!!!!!! I'm offering you a pair that I have "outgrown"! In excellent condition...

Was getting ready for church this morning and kicked the foot on my dresser. Broke my toe! #*$&*!

#417 ·
That time of year again. Picked out some piggies for the County Fair in January. My two youngest will be showing their hogs. Here are some pics of the boys getting the pen ready and our new babies!

These are called Blue-Butts. They are crossed between a Hampshire and Yorkshire. The blue comes from the Hamp, and it usually manifests itself across the rearend (hence blue-butt) and sometimes in the face. These are both barrows (young males), and they have both been cut. They gain weight better than the guilts (young females). They were selected from a pen of several pigs, and they were chosen because of their confirmation (physical appearance/muscling). We don't use steroids in our feed, but we do custom mix it. These pigs will be getting a high protein feed (16%) with an additional fat supplement.

Attachments

#420 ·
gmakra said:
Skipper what happened to Hans and Petunia? Isn't Hans supposed to help with Santa's Sleigh at least that what Bill said last year.
Good memory for a old guy. I believe they both went under the knife!

Pork fat rules. And cook us up some ribs , big daddy blue butt.

Bill

#421 ·
So Bill lemme see if I have the story straight Santa used Hans to guide the sleigh. But the Skipper murdered Hans for his own consumption! Now it seems to me that sleighs are old school technology and they don't have any electrical system in them therefore there is no GPS available for Santa. So therefore the probability of us getting Christmas presents is null and this was Skippers doing?

Next your probably going to tell me that Skipper uses spent green and red shotgun shells for Christmas ornaments on his tree.

Boy this was a tough year!

#422 ·
gmakra said:
So Bill lemme see if I have the story straight Santa used Hans to guide the sleigh. But the Skipper murdered Hans for his own consumption! Now it seems to me that sleighs are old school technology and they don't have any electrical system in them therefore there is no GPS available for Santa. So therefore the probability of us getting Christmas presents is null and this was Skippers doing?

Next your probably going to tell me that Skipper uses spent green and red shotgun shells for Christmas ornaments on his tree.

Boy this was a tough year!
I want my jeep parts. Scott why'd you have to do it? :crying:

#424 ·
Fun at the Kerrs! Vaccination time for Porkins and Trencher. I thought I would share. Each gets 4.5ml of LA200, which is a remarkable antibiotic. This is a precaution due to the stress of relocating... a preventative measure. Click on the pic for the video. My son is stripping the audio so we can use it as a ring tone!! :cool:

I hope everyone has a remarkable Christmas. I am greatful to God and His only Son. Thank You, Lord.

Blessings to all, and Merry Christmas.

#428 ·
My son is stripping the audio so we can use it as a ring tone!!
I can't imagine who's phone # will be attached to THAT ringtone! Gmakra? Lucdog? :teehee: