Scott's 1984 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scott's 1984 CJ7

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 11-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Scott's 1984 CJ7

Well this is my first frame off. My CJ tub is loaded with rust, so I turned up a 93 YJ tub. I'm in the process of the swap so I figured I would add some photos of where I'm at with it. It took me about ten hours to disassemble everything and my girlfriend even helped out for a few minutes! When I got the body off the frame was definitely due for a good cleaning. I was able to recycle some of the old tub and my friend welded it into the YJ for me. The YJ had only a couple of small rust spots and some surface rust. I wire wheeled the whole under body and a couple other areas. I also sanded and wire wheeled the frame, treated it with a rust treatment, and then painted it with rustoleum. I bought new red bushings for the body mounts. I also bought a new clutch and plan on installing that while the body is off. I've done a TON of other little things so far and have a lot more to go. I am going to sand and paint the tub after I move the gas filler to the right side. I think that's it for now. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for any input!

-Scott

scott-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Few more photos of YJ tub

Unread 11-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
TrebleHook

1979 CJ7 

Looking good! Subscribed.....

Cheers,
TrebleHook
TrebleHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
dan-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Off to great start. Will be watching with interest. Are you going to keep the YJ style tailgate?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dans-downunder-84-cj7-build-1299387/
dan-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #5
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Wow,

You are the man, that is a lot of work, but will look great when finished.

in case i got in deep water, it could drain out fast

or if i left it out in the rain, the water could drain out fast.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-cj7 View Post
Off to great start. Will be watching with interest. Are you going to keep the YJ style tailgate?

Thanks

No, hopefully no one but us will know this is a YJ body when I'm finished. I think the only noticeable differences are the tailgate and fuel filler location.
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Great pics, thanks for sharing. Your a good bit further ahead than I am on mine. My wife had bought my best friends 84 CJ7 about 10 years ago and it was almost the exact same color as yours, with a black hardtop. It was originally a garnet colored one though. And then she sold it to her cousin and it became a purple fiberglass Jeep.
Was your frame in pretty good shape yet?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Great pics, thanks for sharing. Your a good bit further ahead than I am on mine. My wife had bought my best friends 84 CJ7 about 10 years ago and it was almost the exact same color as yours, with a black hardtop. It was originally a garnet colored one though. And then she sold it to her cousin and it became a purple fiberglass Jeep.
Was your frame in pretty good shape yet?
Thanks! Do you have a thread with your progress anywhere? I'd like to check it out!

My frame did have some surface rust, but no thin spots. It sanded right off, and the wire wheel attachment for my angle grinder helped with a lot of it.

-Scott
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

That's good. Not many frames that old, in the snow belt, that are in good shape. I decided to go with a new one rather than put the effort into repairing mine.... again. Yes I started a thread not long ago. I started prepping the new frame first.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/30...e-off-1280850/
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Changed Clutch (12/20/11)

I finally have a couple week break from school so I decided to install the new clutch. This ended up being a pain! I ordered a clutch kit online and they sent the wrong one so I bought a new one from O'Reilly so I wouldn't have to wait another week for one to come in the mail.

I began installing the one from O'Reilly only to find out that it was also the wrong clutch. Turns out I was misinformed about my transmission being a T150. It is actually the T-15.

The clutch swap was pretty easy once I had the correct parts. First I disconnected the driveshafts, then supported the tranny with a jack stand. Next I dropped the skid-plate/transmission support and placed a motorcycle jack under the transmission and transfer case. Disconnected the tranny from bellhousing and slid it out. Then removed bellhousing and old clutch. The pilot bearing was a piece of cake to remove with the removal tool that I rented from autozone. There was a $45 deposit that I was fully reimbursed when I returned it.

I took the flywheel off and had it resurfaced at a local machine shop for $30. Only took them an hour to get it back to me. If you get your flywheel resurfaced be sure to put a little thread lock on the flywheel bolts before reinstalling.

I basically reinstalled in reverse order using the guide tool that came with the clutch kit and followed all the torque specifications in the Haynes manual.

Here are some photos of the clutch swap. As you can see the old one was really worn down. I opted out of keeping the old 3-fingered style and switched to the diaphragm style clutch.

Last edited by scott-cj7; 01-23-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
kvncot
1981 CJ7 

Nice job!
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Haven't forgotten it!

So I haven't forgotten about this Jeep project I started a while back. I have been extremely busy with school this semester: Organic chemistry, molecular biology, statistics and physics. So not much free time.

I knew I wouldn't be working on the jeep much so I went ahead and rested the tub on the frame so it wouldn't take up the whole garage. Tonight I snuck out to the garage for the first time and put one of the fenders on and the hood to free up some more space.

The tub needs to come off one last time for a quick undercoating and I am going to hook the fuel lines back up to the tank. After those two things are done I'll be bolting the body down to the frame and reassembling this whole thing.

I'm holding off on paint until the very last thing. I don't mind taping everything off later. Spring break is coming up in a couple of weeks and I plan on spending 3 straight days in the garage finishing this thing up.

So hopefully this will be updated finally in the next couple of weeks. Here's the most current photo.

Unread 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
scott-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Not much excitement in the last post, so here are a few more photos of the progress. I didn't get as far as I was hoping to over spring break, but still accomplished quite a bit with the help of a buddy. We got the bottom of the tub wire-wheeled pretty thoroughly and then undercoated it. Next we bolted it down with the new body bushings and new hardware. I'm pretty much down to wiring and sanding and painting at this point. All downhill from here.... I hope

Here are the seats I'm putting in. New from smittybilt. I'll use the old seat to sit in while I work... don't want to scuff these new ones up just yet.
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Something about the stance of your Jeep, in the very first picture, that makes it look fast! I like it, and great work. Really coming together.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

You do nice work. And school too? WOW! I'm going the same color green, again, and just bought the same rims. I was wondering what a black interior would look like, vs the Nutmeg I have now. Thanks for posting so many pics. A few of the bare frame pics even helped me rule out the Dynomax Ultra-Flo X Muffler mounted right behind the T-case. Subscribed, to see what my (our?) CJ7s will look like .
Keep up the good work.

Tags
1984 , cj5 , clutch , jeep cj7

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.