My buckets were completely toast. I looked at all the same ones you guys have looked at, and settled on the "cheap" ones. While junkyard shopping for an MC2100, I came across the Jeep graveyard. The owner said he hasn't had a CJ since 1987, but there are several Cherry-Okees (as my youngest calls them!) a couple Comanches, and various and sundry Jeeps! The Comanche caught my eye and I figured the width would be about right. The bench was in good shape... cost me $30. I like buckets, but I love benches. You can lay stuff next to you, your best girl can sit next to you, you can sit three up front. I don't care about access to the back of my Jeep. If anything living is back there it will be a dog or a kid, and they can both climb over! So this worked out well. I have already posted the build for the bracket, so here is the repair. All I can figure is that Bubba and Bubba's friend rode around in this Comanche a lot! The seat is squashed! So my endeavor was to fix the hole I slid into with my narrow butt!
Following is the exciting blow by blow description!
First... the seat. I have already installed it into my 7 so the bracket you see is mine. But this is how the seat looked after removing from the Comanch!
I removed the back and then turned the seat over. Here you can see the plastic clips that hold the slip cover on.
Carefully slip the cover over the edges to expose the foam. Depending on how rough your original cover is, it could be difficult to do. It could tear... so go slow. You can see a piece of closed-cell foam we receive in medical shipments. It is used as insulation, but now it is a Jeep part!
This is a test fit.
The foam is too thick to use as is, so I need to halve it. I don't know a good way to do this! I used a very sharp knife. It's kind of like caping a game animal. It's easy to get off and gouge a hole, so go slow.
Here are the two halves... one for each side. Even though I went slow, it still looks like crap! So what... my rearend will be sitting on it!
I beveled the edges using boning scissors. If you leave the edges thick and vertical, you will probably not have as nice a finish, and you could possibly feel it while sitting on it. I wanted a good fit so as not to stretch my tired upholstery too much.
Test fit the cut piece.
Now this stuff is amazing stuff! Did I say it was amazing? It's amazing!!
I used it as an adhesive to keep the foam from sliding under the slip cover.
Both sides installed. You can make your foam replacement any size you wish. You can rebuild the seat to pretty much any configuration if that is your goal. I just wanted to remove the "holes", so I stayed within the original "outlines" for your butt.
Slip cover pulled back over and reinstalled. Looks pretty even across the top.
Finished product. If I wasn't so tired I would have picked it up and put it back on top of the work tables... should have done it for pic quality, but you get the idea.
Replacing foam will cause you to be raised up a little bit in the cab, so watch your headroom. I wanted to do the back too, but I was not able to remove the cover without damaging it, so it stays as is. Now I need to find me a seat cover and I'm good to go.