School of Hard Knox Build: If it's worth doing once...and general whatnot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > School of Hard Knox Build: If it's worth doing once...and general whatnot

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

School of Hard Knox Build: If it's worth doing once...and general whatnot

Dave's thread over here got me motivated. It may take me a little while to figure out how to document this process, it's been on of those on again, off again type relationships. I'll spare everyone a winded backstory for now, and start with what I'm looking at now.

Freshly rebuilt 304

Some of my high school Bondo stuck, plenty of cancer in the usual spots

Dusty, powder coated frame

Next on the list

There was a spacer in here that melted in the oven

Makes the mount sit all funny

I'd say that's a valid start into this adventure. Hope I can document my re-learning process, and the rebirth of an awesome vehicle. Maybe even give a little back to the community that's already helped me in so many ways.

Cheers to the South Knox CJ, she's been almost 20 years in the making. Let hope it doesn't take another 20 to drive her again

mikeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Glad to see it! DON'T give up on her. I put mine aside ( for 2 years) to help a friend build his as his mechanical knowledge was limited. Also opened my garage to work on others cars to pay for my "jeep'" but that ended up paying the bills. It seemed to fight me most of the way.

But I got there......so will you!
Good luck

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Thought I'd post a quick update of my progress, or more accurately, lack thereof...

Whatnot: Got a good jump on the woodpile for next winter. It's trying to warm up here, but not there yet.

Also took a day to go paddle the Cheoah River in Western NC - great day with great friends. Sorry no pictures of that.

Jeep: Been making slow progress on getting the engine buttoned back up. Apparently, the alternator mounting was worth doing about 78 times. Think I'm missing a piece of hardware, and I got another piece that I can't seem to place. Any advise greatly appreciated. Having to shim everything to get the pulleys in line...

Still studying the Team Rush upgrade, and that should be the next step/purchase along with fluids, belts, and hoses. Can't wrap my head around what the MSD box is doing, and why I need that. Lost on differences between that MSD 6 series and the HEI everyone seems to talk about. Got plenty of reading material thanks to JeepHammer though. Carb is on the back burner waiting.

Went to fill the rear diff with fluid, and the yoke started leaking - about the same amount I was pumping. Surely my PO(me) didn't forget the seal... I sure did.

I'm looking for any advise, criticism, bad jokes, shoulda/couldas, picture requests, or general whatnot to stoke the fire on this project. I've got time, but funds are low. Just moved the fiance into the house, and the wedding budget is really cutting into the Jeep fund. It'll all work out, but alot of times I find myself kicking tire with a cold beer wondering what I can do without spending cash...

Excited and really nervous about firing this engine for the first time. Never done that, and I can't afford to do it again if I #@$% it up.

Thanks for reading. I know I'm new here, got thick skin, let the comments fly.
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the forum, and nice project you have going.

Here's some pics that may help you with your alternator bracket (compliments of Fuzz401)

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Matt! Those will definitely help. Attempt 79 of alternator mounting brackets coming soon.

You have a very sharp, clean looking Jeep. The pictures of your engine is what I was shooting for, but the engine builders had a different idea. Well done!
Unread 03-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Brown Santa Update

So, they fiancee got a kick out of the 'Brown Santa' phrase yall got going over here. She thinks you're all real clever. She was in such a great mood that she bought me a case of oil, a filter, some Lucas break in lube, and some black paint. She's not sold on the whole Jeep Thing yet, but I keep telling her she'll be a believer once it's back together.

Got an order from Summit just before the weekend. This is the first parts order I've made in a long while, and I really appreciate the info available on this forum. After much reading, I think I bought the right things.

Had to find the old one - just where I put it after taking it off

And the comparison

Cleaned the distributor up and installed the new adapt-a-cap

Last pic, and a question

I know I've seen similar pictures in other threads. Anyone care to bird-dog one of those for me?

Dave and Matt - thanks for the replies! It really helps to stoke the fire.

240-ish views at this time... anyone got suggestions for a name for this thing?
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Well, I really did it this weekend. I've been looking for some exhaust manifolds lately after not being able to find/remember what I did with my old ones. I found a set with the help of a good friend, but they were connected to a 360 that was connected to a T-18... The price was right so I went to go pick it up. Turns out I got a York compressor in the deal too. Thought I was about done with the wire wheeling...

I'll try to get some pictures up asap. Fingers crossed that the tranny looks good, and looks like I'll be able to put my alternator mounting troubles to rest.

I should've known that it wouldn't be as simple buying just the parts that I need.
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Mikey,

Just a note on the big cap and adapter for your Motorcraft distributer, in case you missed it in your research....

The V8 version requires a custom-made alignment tap to prevent the adapter from spinning on the distributor housing. Jeephammer describes how he makes them on post #2, here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ig.../#post12702667

Matt
tabalignmentnotch01.gif

tabcomplete.gif

Unread 04-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Matt. I had seen that - and was looking forward to an excuse to drink a beer. The adapt-a-cap seemed to fit perfectly without modification. I'll take another look, and probably another, and another... to just to be sure.

I think my new found greasy pig might rival your before shots. No build plans for it any time soon. I was told the whole train came out of a Wagoneer. 360->T18->D20

Thanks again for the heads up on the dist cap
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yes, the adapter will fit fine, but there's nothing to keep it from rotating on the housing unless you make an alignment tab. Try it, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, the factory driver's side exhaust manifold from a Wagoneer will not work in a CJ. You need a center-dump CJ V8 manifold. It's the one on the bottom of the pic below. They also came on some AMC cars. Mine came from a Javlin.

Matt
exhaustmanifolds6.jpg  
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

I've never seen that adapt-a-cap before. I am also running a 304. Could you give me a part # for that? What are the advantages?
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
...the factory driver's side exhaust manifold from a Wagoneer will not work in a CJ...Matt
Aww hell. This is 'cause of the whole bellcrank thing aint it...Where's the egg-on-my-head Smilie?

Looks like my thread title is spot on.

Anyone know if there are problems with running a mismatched set? ie.: Keep my current passenger side, and find a center dump drivers' side.

My_304 - I'll get a part # for you this evening after work if you still need it. In the mean time, check out the link above in Matt's post, or search JeepHammer + Team Rush. JH provides an excellent explanation of the advantages. Much better write up than I can provide.
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboat View Post
Anyone know if there are problems with running a mismatched set? ie.: Keep my current passenger side, and find a center dump drivers' side.
No problems at all. The passenger sides are all the same. My passenger side is from a J10, my driver side from a Javlin.

Matt
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Actually, the screw and tab are factory, and in the correct position...
Hard to screw up the position, since there is only ONE screw hole drilled in the housing.

Looks like factory Ford tab in this picture of yours...

When I go to the salvage yard, I unscrew all the tabs off the Ford distributors since when I get a hold of a razor knife after drinking it usually involves stitches...

Anyway, I saw the tab/screw and knew it was 'Right' for your application, So far, you are doing one heck of a job! Keep up the good work!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I've never seen that adapt-a-cap before. I am also running a 304. Could you give me a part # for that? What are the advantages?
Try this link, this will keep from polluting a build thread...

LINK: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ig.../#post12702667
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Mikey,

Sorry about the confusion on the alignment tap. I didn't look at your pic closely enough.

Apparently, it's just the reman'd units that don't have the tap. I know neither of mine had them, which wasn't surprising considering the overall poor quality of the reman'd units, in general.

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.