Scary Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scary Brakes

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-22-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
diggy

Scary Brakes

While I was driving today. My streering suddenly wanted to keep pulling to the left. when i went to stop the brake pedal was solid and wouldn't move further than a few inches. And there was very little braking power. when I finally stopped, the front driver hub was smoking. When I finally made it home, and turned the wheel to full lock, there was a loud snap. Now I'm a afraid to move it an inch!

Diggy
P.S. 79 cj5 304 possibly for sale. lol

diggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2002, 05:53 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Sounds like the hub bearings went out...I had this happen to my 79 CJ. It's not real expensive to fix - around here (Socal) you can pick up a whole hub assy with bearings and seal for about $60...Plan to spend an additional $75 if the spindle is toast though!
Unread 09-22-2002, 07:56 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Front disks? Might check the caliper. It's possable that it is hanging causing the brake pads to drag. You will still want to repack the wheel and spinddle bearings.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2002, 07:43 PM   #4
diggy

do you believe this

Thanks for the help.
Anyway. I took my jeep to the garage today to have them check my hub. they said I must have what they call a lazy piston in my brakes. they told me they could find no problems and even took it for a ride. As soon as I left the lot it started to pull to the left. I grabbed the mechanic and had him hop in for a ride around the block. He said " oh that! All CJs, do that" BULL SHEIT!! He said that could be fixed with an alignment and to me to come back later. I come back pay hit the road and the same thing happens. His excuse " My machine can't align modified vehicles. Only stock!

Am I wrong, or is he feeding me a pile?

Diggy
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:11 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

While the pulling could be caused by alignment, the smoking hub couldn't. Disassembleand inspect the pistons, caliper the and the caliper mount. If you find that the brakes are to blame, you might need to turn the rotor to true it. I would still do the hub and spindle(bearing) pack to insure the grease hasn't melted out of the bearings, or the bearing(s) went south(A L A Old Jeep guy). As for your mechanic, It sounds like he doesn't wont to work on it. It may be because of the mods, since liability is such an issue.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:53 PM   #6
diggy

thanks jeepdaddy2000. looks like I have a another fun weekend ahead of me. lol
Unread 09-23-2002, 09:41 PM   #7
Lightningdon

Diggy, find a new shop! Sounds like a lazy mechanic to me. My local shop jumped right on my Jeep, replaced bearings and did the alignment, no probs!

Don
Lightningdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.