sbc 350 auto to manual conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > sbc 350 auto to manual conversion

Currie RockJock Products!!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
putty31
1986 CJ7 

sbc 350 auto to manual conversion

I have a 86 CJ with a small block chevy 350 in it. I am not sure of the year of the engine, but I am looking to see how difficult/costly it would be to turn it from automatic to manual. The CJ was originally a 4 cyl. manual, and even still has the clutch pedal installed. I don't know much more about it, if it is even possible. I love my CJ but hate that it is auto, so I wanted to look into options. I appreciate any insight you all can shed on this subject. Thanks in advance.

putty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I would suggest on of the SM series. Check out the Novak sight for all the adapter details.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
joecool79
1982 CJ5 

I am doing a similar build on my cj5. When I bought it there was a sbc, turbo 350 and a np203. This left about a 8' drive shaft with the motor shoved all the way foward and the radiator in the back seat. I am putting in a sm465 dana 300 combo. I have done a lot of research and it it a pretty bullet proof drivetrain. The sm 465 is easy to find. They are very common. I found one with the bell housing and clutch for 200. It will bolt right up to your sbc. You might have to get an adapter. unless you use a chevy transfer case like the np 205. If I was going to use a chevy t-case that is what I would get. It is gear driven and really tough, but the low range isn't low enough for some.If you already have the clutch pedal set up your swap will be fairly straight foward. Go to novak conversions site, they have a lot of good info on these kind of swaps.
joecool79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
putty31
1986 CJ7 

Thanks a lot!
putty31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.