Sank the CJ... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Sank the CJ...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #46
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

OK, SHE STARTED!!!! Thanks for all the help everybody. Still got some water in the exhaust system and the timing is still off, but she started. Now looking for the bell valve (prevents backflow from the cat into the air filter. mine is obviously shot) so I can let her run and dry that exhaust out. Also have to wait on the exhaust pipe gasket (from the manifold to the pipe) as nobody in town stocks that kind. Again, thanks to everybody that helped.

vivimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #47
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Have a beer. You've earned it.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #48
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Yay
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #49
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivimus View Post
...... Also have to wait on the exhaust pipe gasket (from the manifold to the pipe) as nobody in town stocks that kind. Again, thanks to everybody that helped.
Did you have one originally?
My 84 never had one as the manifold is designed not to use a gasket..

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #50
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Did you have one originally?
My 84 never had one as the manifold is designed not to use a gasket..
It definitely had one, a donut type. And Morris carries them here. Hmmm.... Don't know now. Thanks John. Maybe I'll just go ahead and bolt it back up and see how she does.
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #51
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah check before you wait and buy one and find out you didn't need one.
I bought one when I changed manifolds just because I thought they all needed one then I couldn't get it to fit. Found out that the flange tapered as pictured. Spent about 1/2 hour seeing if I could remove it. but it was part of the manifold.

If you have a flat flange like the lower one in the picture then you do need one. if you have the tapered flange then you probably don't need one.
You ca just feel it with your fingers to see what you have.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #52
S76
1984 CJ7 

Glad you got it started!

But it seems you've been taking driving lessons from Francesco Schettino:

"Italians, It's in their Blood"

http://9gag.com/gag/3397266

Unread 04-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #53
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

I do have the flanged manifold, so I might give that a shot later. Thanks for the heads up.

And S76, how'd you know I was Italian???
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #54
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

My old one barrel manifold used the donut gasket, my new two barrel manifold has the built in flange.I did the same thing, and tried to remove it.
Those donuts never lasted very long for me. I always wrapped them in Reynolds Wrap to get them to seal after they crumbles and fell apart.
I'm glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #55
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Looks like the muffler and cat are still holding water. any method to dry it out without removing them? we would have to drop the transmission crossmember, do some cutting, and take it some where to have welded back up... not looking forward to it and I would like to avoid it if possible.
Hmmm. Noob told ya so

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #56
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr View Post
Hmmm. Noob told ya so
Yeah, you did... Thanks halo
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #57
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
That's not entirely true...

From dictionary.com:

emergency brake
noun
1. Also called parking brake. A special brake used to prevent a motor vehicle from rolling after it has stopped or been parked.

From Wikipedia:

the parking brake, also called hand brake, emergency brake, or e-brake, is a latching brake usually used to keep the vehicle stationary.

Yeah, it's BETTER to use both, but to say that the main purpose of the brake is not to hold the vehicle in place is a bit "Holier-Than-Thou." As I said earlier, I learned the hard way and will use BOTH methods from now on. I appreciate the help I've gotten on fixing the actual problem and I'd like to keep it on topic if possible.
Glad it's running, I had forgotten this thread. And yes, the parking brake doesn't do anything else BUT hold the vehicle still...the point was, it's not supposed to be the ONLY thing holding it, and the owner's manual would say so. Seriously, if parking brakes are so great, why do automatics have "Park"?
Even new vehicles, which typically have better parking brakes, say the same about leaving a manual in gear. Here's a quote from an 04 TJ owner's manual:

WARNING!
When parking your vehicle, always leave a manual
transmission in first gear
and apply the parking
brake fully to guard against vehicle movement and
possible injury or damage. Never use any gear as a
substitute for the parking brake.

Glad you didn't have to learn a harder lesson.
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #58
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Glad you didn't have to learn a harder lesson.
Thanks man, I admittedly was a bit defensive before because I knew I screwed up. Didn't need to be reminded... Sorry 'bout that.

All good now and ready to get back on the road
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #59
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

I know one way to dry out the exhaust, take it for a long highway drive. Like 30 mins plus. That will get it all out of there once it gets good and hot.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #60
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

Just to close this one out... Had it starting before but not running reliably... after rebuilding the carb, which I don't think had ever been done, she now runs better than ever. I kept getting the backfire up through the carb and finally the last thing left was to do the rebuild. Pulled the POS carter apart and found pondscum in the bowl... It was obviously getting in the way of the engine getting fuel.

To recap, ALWAYS park with both e-brake and tranny in gear. If you happen to forget one or the other and your jeep rolls face first into a pond there are a few steps to take (by all means not a complete list, just I had to go through to get her running again):

1. Check Jeepforum for help!!!
2. Remove water from cylinders
3. Drain and replace all fluids
4. Dry any electrical that got wet and pray for the best
5. Buy 2 new solenoids
6. Buy new starter
7. Replace original exhaust because it's all rattling and stuff anyway
8. CLEAN CARBURETOR!!!!
9. Drink a beer

Seriously, as much as I've complained about the carter carb over the years... I take it all back. Clean that thing out!! After the clean and rebuild, this is the first time since I've owned it that my jeep has been able to idle without stalling or me blipping the throttle at every stop sign and light!!! Runs like a whole new jeep!!!!

Thanks again to everyone for the help on this one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.