Sank the CJ... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Sank the CJ...

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 04-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

If the ignition was fried, it would still turn over. I'd start with the battery (maybe steal the one from the wife's car) and then try it again.

When you drained the engine oil, was there water mixed in with it? If not, then I would not worry to much. As the engine heats up, it will boil off any water that is left. Just change it after 100 miles or so.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You could bypass the starter solenoid with some jumpers cables just to see if it cranks. Watch out for sparks though, wear some eye protection.

Take the plugs out just in case on of the cylinders did fill with water
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #18
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivimus View Post

On a lighter note, my dad asked when I got the boat... "Oh, nevermind. It's just that your Jeep has a waterline!!" Jerk...
Looks like your dad might have created a new name for your CJ!
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #19
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I would also be concerned about the alternator .

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #20
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I would also be concerned about the alternator .

Bill
And the wheel bearings.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #21
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Jump the solenoid and get that thing started! The longer you let it sit with humidity in it, bad things will happen.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I highly recommend always parking in gear. 1st or reverse, depending on which direction you're facing on the hill.
Matt
I could never for the life of me figure out why anyone, in any manual vehicle, would not park it IN gear. I've seen a lot of people that don't and I never understood why. Especially when e-brakes don't work as well holding it from rolling back as they do holding it from going forward. And all that stands between a stationary and a rolling danger is a small metal cog tooth that can sometime release for unknown reasons.

Not bustin' on you in particular vivimus. It's just one of those oddities in life that baffle ya.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #23
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I could never for the life of me figure out why anyone, in any manual vehicle, would not park it IN gear. I've seen a lot of people that don't and I never understood why. Especially when e-brakes don't work as well holding it from rolling back as they do holding it from going forward. And all that stands between a stationary and a rolling danger is a small metal cog tooth that can sometime release for unknown reasons.

Not bustin' on you in particular vivimus. It's just one of those oddities in life that baffle ya.
Some people forget that its still in gear when they go to start it, and the Jeep will jump Everyone's done it at some point in their lives..I always leave my sticks in gear too.
CJ7ROB is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

If they forget its in gear, maybe they should not be driving...

My e-brake has not worked in 20 years. I've always parked with a chock block, in gear, and with the wheels turned just in case.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
If they forget its in gear, maybe they should not be driving...

My e-brake has not worked in 20 years. I've always parked with a chock block, in gear, and with the wheels turned just in case.
So if you ever need to use your E-brake while your driving you jump out of it with your chock block too? I don't see what's so hard about actually adjusting/fixing an ebrake to work properly.
CJ7ROB is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

In some states you have to have a e brake to pass inspection.
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #27
titomars
1981 CJ7 

I have owned nothing but manual transmission vehicles most all my life. I never leave them in gear. My parking brakes work always. They are as important to me as the service brakes. So when I do my brakes the parking brakes get service also. My CJ's parking brake will hold her on a pretty steep incline all by itself. But I would not leave my CJ on a 30%+ incline with just the parking brake engaged either. I would back it up with wheels turned and chocking still in neutral. That being said with heavy trucks it is a golden rule, NEVER leave it in gear.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
So if you ever need to use your E-brake while your driving you jump out of it with your chock block too? I don't see what's so hard about actually adjusting/fixing an ebrake to work properly.
E-brake turns in a CJ?
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

I've had this jeep for 10 years, a CJ-5 for a few years before that, and a few cars as well, all manuals, and I rarely parked in gear. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't, never mattered so I got complacent. This is the first time an e-brake has given out on me, in any of my vehicles. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and will henceforth be parking in gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluff28 View Post
if you are getting any voltage (mine was 4v you should think about a starter) I only know as mine just died 2 weeks after getting stranded during a river crossing and that's what I did to get to a starter diagnosis.

Back to the problem at hand. Voltage looked good across the solenoid, but at the cheaper of the 2, we replaced it anyway. Still no dice. The cable from the solenoid to the starter "jumps" when I turn the key (like when electricity is applied to a muscle and it tenses up). Nothing more. It's looking more like the starter and I think I'm about to go pick one up.
vivimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Ok read this again you said you drained the fluids. Did you Pull the plugs ?? You said it tensed up well if there is water in just one of those cylinders it won't start and if it did well time for a new engine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.