Sank the CJ... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Sank the CJ...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

Sank the CJ...

Ok, there's this pond right across the street from my house. It lines up right with the driveway which leads to a lot of days saying, "Well, the worst that could happen is that it ends up in the pond." Got home Tuesday, less than 5 minutes, and the dog starts running his mouth. I let him go for a minute then look out the front window... "CR@P!!! It actually happened!!!!" E-brake slipped, rolled down the driveway, hopped the curb, and nose down into the drink... Long story short; we got it out, drained all the water, replaced all the fluids, and dried out the little bit of electrical that got wet (mostly front lights but also D.U.I. distributor, starter, and solenoid. Fuse block and battery managed to stay dry, thank God.). Now all we're getting is a "click" when I turn the key. Thinking it may be the solenoid or the regulator on the distributor but not sure how to check? Any other possibilities I'm missing? Thanks in advance for the help!

vivimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

The first things I'd check are the starter and the solenoid. The starter motor has some pretty close tolerances between the rotor and the stator. Even a little bit of water can cause them to rust together. The solenoid has the same problem, close tolerance between contacts that are prone to corrosion.

Also, I'd check all the cables from the battery to the solenoid, to the starter, and to ground. Any one of those connections could have been contaminated/corroded by the unexpected dunking.

Good luck!
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

I'll double check those connections you suggested in the morning. Not worried too much about corrosion, she was only in for about 45 min. But it is pond water, so plenty of other possible contaminants. Any way to check if the starter or the solenoid went bad or shorted or something? I'm still learning, so go easy on me. Thanks for the help!

On a lighter note, my dad asked when I got the boat... "Oh, nevermind. It's just that your Jeep has a waterline!!" Jerk...
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

At least it was not running when it went in like mine back in 1987. I'd just pull the plugs, drain all fluids (engine oil, trans, xfer, gas tank, axles) then refill. After the engine oil is replaced, crank the motor over to clear the cylinders. Pull the dizzy cap and dry it out. After you get fuel back in it, replace the plugs and fire it up.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I highly recommend always parking in gear. 1st or reverse, depending on which direction you're facing on the hill.

Damn, that sucks.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

That's where we're at 82. Now just getting a single click like a super dead battery. The D.U.I. dizzy has a regulator that also got submerged. Could that have been fried even without power going to it?
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
wm69

I'd change the oil a couple of times if you had water in your oil. I'm rebuilding TWO of my 3 Honda ATV's from dunking them. Water = bad

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Man that sure does suck. I looked at the picture before reading it and I was thinking OMG did he really think he was going to drive through it!!

I lived across the street from my schools gym while growing up for 6 years. On day the football coach who was also the drives ed teacher forgot to stick the ebrake on his personal car. Rolled out the gym parking lot, across the street, and in to our driveway. Stopped about 3 feet short of hitting my dads 240z.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
vivimus
1986 CJ7 

Drive through it!!! That's rich! I will say that I've decided waterproofing is in order, snorkel and all. Maybe then I'll give it another shot.
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Well, that's far better than me. I'da parked the thing in the drink coming home drunk the night before, swam out, crawled the rest of the way home, woke up the next morning and blamed it on the dog

Shawn
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivimus View Post
I'll double check those connections you suggested in the morning. Not worried too much about corrosion, she was only in for about 45 min. But it is pond water, so plenty of other possible contaminants. Any way to check if the starter or the solenoid went bad or shorted or something? I'm still learning, so go easy on me. Thanks for the help!

On a lighter note, my dad asked when I got the boat... "Oh, nevermind. It's just that your Jeep has a waterline!!" Jerk...
first when you turn the key you get just one click right.
check your battery with a volt meter 12.4v or better or think about a replacement. then check to make sure you are getting voltage to the hot lead on your starter the red wire should be always hot so about 12V, then test the ignition wire going to the solenoid un plug from the solenoid and stick the red test probe in the wire side of the connector and ground the black side. have some one turn the key to start. if you are getting any voltage (mine was 4v you should think about a starter) I only know as mine just died 2 weeks after getting stranded during a river crossing and that's what I did to get to a starter diagnosis.
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Doubtful that water has stayed in the cylinders but I'd pull all of the spark plugs and, assuming you get the electrical sorted out, crank it over and let it puke any water out of the spark plug holes. New oil is a given and probably already mentioned.

Whatever you do, get it running asap so rust doesn't have a chance to pit your cylinder bores.

Shawn
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

First thing I'd fix is the P brake.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

With the sequester and all the Blue Angel shows cancelled I bet you can get their bored mechanics to help

Hate it happened to ya!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

If you can get 12v @ the starter, try banging it w/a mallet while someone has the key on start. CHOCK the wheels, double verify it's in nuetral (X-fer case too), and both feet are on the brake!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.