sand blasting media (how much do i need) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > sand blasting media (how much do i need)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

sand blasting media (how much do i need)

I will be sand blasting and coating my frame and fender wells this weekend and need to know how much media I will need unless I can get away with degreasing and wirewheeling rust and putting a primer sealer over it?

seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
CJ7VFR

There is no real answer to your question.

If your frame and fender wells are really rusty, you will go thru more blasting media then if
they were rust free.

You will go thru more media if you move your blaster slowly, and you will go thru less
if you move it quickly.

You will go thru more or less depending on the type of media you use, such as a
coarser or finer media.

You will go thru more media if you are working outside, in the wind, then you would
if you were working in an enclosed space, like a garage, where there is no wind.

Some media can be sifted, and reused if its not too contaminated. So it would
depend on how greasy, dirty and how dry your parts are that you want to blast
as to whether or not you can re-use it.

These are questions only you can answer.

What you should do is go to a website that sells the type of media you want to use,
and look up their charts.

They will give you a very general idea of how much of each type of media is
used for each type of material you want to remove, ie paint, rust, ext...

A good rule of thumb is to buy at least 20 percent more than you think you will
need.

This way, you won't have to stop to order more if you run out during the process.

Good luck. Blasting your parts will remove WAY MORE paint and rust than a wire
brush. Not only that, but it will remove it from EVERY nook and cranny that a
wire brush just can't get to.

And the results will come out way better too!

Jim
CJ7VFR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Naiveambition
1976 CJ7 

Media amount

I just finished sandblasting my frame and used 100 lbs of blasting sand. I did the frame, motor, springs, and axles. Think it was like 15$. The only part I couldn't get was directly under axles, since I still have the motor in, but will address later.

Do note that I used a commercial air compressor that u can rent from most rental places. I would highly recommend this, it will save u aggravation, time, and will be able to go nonstop. Bout 8 hrs total time, and when ur done u have a air pressure that's able to actually blow the sand out of the frame. I was really surprised at how much it put out with just opening a ball valve, I mean hold on TIGHTLY.... Nozzle was hot to touch when I was done

I wrapped a ez-up with painters plastic and on the ground, and was able to recycle 5 gallon bucket full, though I didn't use it
Naiveambition is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Naiveambition
1976 CJ7 

Forgot

Forgot this.
Also pre prep was with a good degreaser and a power washer to remove heavy scale first. I could of painted por15 over this and been happy, but, well,.... U know, its a Jeep thing....
Naiveambition is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

im doing it outside with my great grand fathers blaster he gave me. there isnt too much rust on the frame and still has the factory black paint on most areas. Im using duplicolor rust fix, undercoating for the frame and bed armor for the wheel wells. Should I put a primer sealer on the frame or just undercoat.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Vague question.
How many cfm's does the compressor put out?
How many cfm's is the blast nozzle rated for?
Is the blast nozzle new or wore out?
What type/size grit?
As others said, how rusty/greasy?
Do you want a white blast for a good zinc primer or a mediocre blast for like a clean sweep for a basic primer?
I used to professionally blast/paint ships, oil rigs, trailers and heavy equipment. Cost/amount of sand is immaterial as it is cheap.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.