JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   ?'s about axle width and wheel spacers (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/s-about-axle-width-wheel-spacers-1525675/)

sevensandeights 05-19-2013 09:35 PM

?'s about axle width and wheel spacers

I am considering 1.25" thick wheel spacers for my 1978 CJ7.

I have stock NT Dana 30 and AMC 20 axles. I also have the QT t-case so I have the offset rear AMC 20. Several years ago I put in 4.10's, one-piece shafts in the rear and front/rear lunch box style lockers. I am opting for wheel spacers since I already have a fair amount of money in the axles (and I have the goofy offset AMC 20 so it's not an easy swap to WT's) and there is nothing wrong with my rims. I would like a little bit more width so the tires go to the edge of the fender flares. I no longer wheel this Jeep very hard and it has become a family cruiser. I swapped out 32x10.5 Super Swampers for a more street friendly 32x11.5 BFG AT.

It seems that my front axle is about 2" wider (1" per side) than the rear based solely on the outside edge of the fender flare relative to the outside edge of the tire. I stood a 4' level up vertically (and plumb) from the ground to the outside edge of the fender flare and then measured the distance inward to the outside edge of the tire (used a straight edge and measured from the center with the 2 ends of the straight edge touching the tire).

Is this right? Is there a reason? Should I just get wheel spacers for the rear and not the front or should I maintain the offset?

Since I am doing this just for looks I'm worried that it will appear goofy since the front tires will stick out past the flares a little and the rear tires will be pretty close to perfectly aligned with the outside edge of the flare.

Thanks!

sevensandeights 05-19-2013 09:45 PM

OK - did some quick research regarding different track widths and there is a reason. Has to do with turning radius and some guy named Ackerman!

So, I guess my question is how many of you that use wheel spacers bought 2 vs. 4 and are they the same thickness front and rear?

skizriz 05-20-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevensandeights
OK - did some quick research regarding different track widths and there is a reason. Has to do with turning radius and some guy named Ackerman!

So, I guess my question is how many of you that use wheel spacers bought 2 vs. 4 and are they the same thickness front and rear?

I use all four 1.5" spacers.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum

74Maverick 05-20-2013 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just dont get to carzy like me. Ive got 3 inches out up front and 9 out in the rear. It looks silly.

sevensandeights 05-20-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74Maverick (Post 15455090)
Just dont get to carzy like me. Ive got 3 inches out up front and 9 out in the rear. It looks silly.

Yeah - that's pretty wide!

Anybody else running wheel spacers?

The time now is 09:53 AM.