rusty rocker panals and floor pans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > rusty rocker panals and floor pans

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 06-20-2002, 08:10 PM   #1
LaredoMan

rusty rocker panals and floor pans

i just bought a 84 cj7 laredo about a week ago and i am very exited about restoring it. but i need a little advice on a couple of things. there is rust on the interior side of the rocker panels that has made its way to the outside. i have thought about cutting it out and welding in a new piece. would this be difficult? i can see daylight through the floor pans in a couple of places, should i replace them with the ones in quadratec or just treat them with por 15 and forget about it. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanx adam

Unread 06-20-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

It depends on how well you want it fixed. Some would sand blast the sections and use filler and repaint. I would cut the sections out and weld in replacements, but this takes a lot of skill from the metal worker. If you do this method, make sure there is no weight on the area to be removed as this will change things (such as body mount areas)

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 01:04 AM   #3
JIM79CJ7

LaredoMan,
Welcome to the forum & Jeeping . I personally would replace with replacement panels . If you have some experiance It is not a difficult , If you haven't done this before Buy the panels and drive your Jeep to a few bodyshops for prices on install . Your better off taking the parts with you to show what you want done . DON'T Let a shop tell you they can fix what you have on the jeep . Trust me I've worked in the bodyshop business for 18 years . If you want it to last and be right replace as much material as you can .

GOOD LUCK ,
JIM

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 01:50 AM   #4
JIM79CJ7

Laredoman ,
Saw this on Ebay Check it out floor pan for $100.00 Item #1838296689

JIM

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 08:17 AM   #5
LaredoMan

thanks alot guys. any comments on por 15?
Unread 06-21-2002, 10:05 AM   #6
4wheeler4CJ

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by LaredoMan:
<strong>thanks alot guys. any comments on por 15?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Great stuff! Nuff said!
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 10:27 AM   #7
ArbLockerBoy

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by LaredoMan:
<strong>thanks alot guys. any comments on por 15?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I HATE POR 15.

I Followed their instructions!!! and used the metal ready, The por 15 is peeling off and rusting thru. In some places it's as hard as a rock though. here's what may have happened. Por loves rust right? Well, I sandblasted everything before I painted. POR on bare metal SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! it must need rust for the adhesion. Also, When you use the metal ready, it leaves a white film on the metal( Yes, I rinsed it!). I took this white film off by sanding, wire brushing and sandblasting again. maby por needs that white film for some kind of chemical reaction to adhere. Anyway, as you can imagine, I put tons of hours into my frame, axles, fender wells, and other parts and now I have all this por crap that I can't paint over.

By the way, even loose and peeling por is difficult to sandblast off.
Unread 06-21-2002, 11:46 AM   #8
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The problem I have with POR 15 is the hundreds of little bubbles in the finish. Yes I stirred the can instead of shaking it, used the right brush, and followed the directions. I called the company and asked and they didn't know or haven't heard of such. Anyone else?

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 12:14 PM   #9
ArbLockerBoy

As I was applying the por, if I brushed too much I would create some bubbles. I waited a few seconds then did one last stroke to smooth out any inconsistencies
Unread 06-21-2002, 12:18 PM   #10
jeepinbroder

As far as the floor pan replacement goes, one major deciding factor if you want to do your jeep up right is to check the body mounts on the rest of the tub. If your floor pans and rockers are as rusted as you say they are, there's a good chance your body mounts are rusted out too. If they are in good shape, have at the floor pan replacement. If they are rusted away, you may want to consider a tub swap. YJ tubs fit nicely on the cj frame with a few mods and are a nice way to replace your tub without spending $2500. As far as POR-15, it seems to work great on axles, engines, transfer cases and the like, but when your metal is less porous, like floor pans are, it seems to not set into the material very well. If you attempt this, try to get some 36 grit paper to scratch the metal up quite a bit before marine clean and metal ready.
Unread 06-28-2002, 12:30 PM   #11
4wheeler4CJ

Nothing will stick to a slick surface unless it is prepped right, anyway, no paint, no bedliner, no fiberglass, etc. It is like painting on glass.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.