Rusty rim reclamation... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rusty rim reclamation...

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Rusty rim reclamation...

I've got these rusty, old, chrome-peeling rims that I wanted to try and reuse. I've got a little sandblasting unit, and it's a beautiful day, so here's what I did!

Pic 1- what I started with
Pic 2- halfway comparison
Pic 3- close up of bad and good
Pic 4- finished, before paint prep
Pic 5- compare between another rim

I was surprised that the chrome didn't come off. The peeling edges smoothed down well. The end finish of the chrome is like a satin and is rough enough to hold a paint. The sand did not cause any issues with rubber or plastic parts, but then I didn't hold in those places very long. The next steps are rust converter, then a primer, then paint. Probably tomorrow...

start.jpg   halfway.jpg   close-up.jpg   finished.jpg   compare.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Yep, right there with you. Got a set of someone else's rust chrome rims so I use a paint stripper spin disk that goes in a drill. Used a few shots of ganvanized spray and finished it off with New Ford Gray. About 15min per wheel.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

all I've ever heard (over and over) is that you can't get paint to stick to chrome...

I wish you luck, and look forward to seeing your final results!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Skerr those look really good, nice job. What do you have for a sandblasting unit? I've thought about buying a small cheap one just to have around for odd stuff every now and then.. but I wasn't sure if they really worked any good. Is that what you have?

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlina View Post
Skerr those look really good, nice job. What do you have for a sandblasting unit? I've thought about buying a small cheap one just to have around for odd stuff every now and then.. but I wasn't sure if they really worked any good. Is that what you have?
Yep... it's little and old! I'll post up a pic tomorrow sometime. It's an old Craftsman. It holds most of a bag of sand. I used to operate it with my oil-less Porter-Cable compressor, but I upgraded to a 60 gal CH. The small compressor would run all of the time, but it still provided enough pressure and volume to work, albeit slowly. A small, cheap sandblasting unit would be a good addition, but I rank sandblasting up there with concrete work and house painting!!

I got a coat of rust converter on late this afternoon. The wheel smoothed out really well. More pics tomorrow.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Ah okay.. maybe I'll look into one. We have a pretty big compressor at the shop that could keep up with stuff like that. I wouldn't use it very often.. but it would be nice to have the option sometimes.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Here are a couple more pics. The rim is after the rust converter has been applied, ~24 hours curing time. It turns rust into iron oxide, which is the black color in the picture. It's important to pay attention to curing times before you paint. Aerosols are usually different from oil-base paints in the time needed before application. Following the rim picture is the simple Craftsman sandblaster that I used. It took about 20 minutes to complete the badly rusted wheel. Before painting I will wipe it down with Acetone to remove dirt, oil, etc. I'll probably use an implement paint as it is very tough and inexpensive. Paint pics later.
100_0331.jpg   100_0332.jpg  

Unread 05-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Well, I didn't get around to finsihing these rims as quickly as I thought I would. And everybody's seen black rims, but I still wanted to show 'em off! I painted them with Valspar low gloss black implement paint from Tractor Supply... ~$12/QT. It's thick, cheap and durable. They look better in person, but no matter what they're better than rusty chrome! They were still a little tacky when I moved them out into the yard. That was a mistake as every bug in the area flew into them. Not sure I like how the Jeep looks with the current paint. I was thinking of repainting it with the original color... maybe a different color?? What do ya'll think? Ironically, I have a set of 5 NIB black steelies in the shop!
100_0350.jpg   100_0351.jpg   100_0359.jpg  

Unread 05-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
drkchlde

sandblaster units

I've done a lot of sandblasting restoring vehicles and parts, and I can tell you that if you are going to buy a sandblaster, spend a little more for a pressurized unit. The gravity feed sandblasters don't create enough force to remove paint quickly. The pressurized tanks are just as easy to use (takes slightly longer to put in the sand) but there is a huge difference in pressure. Harbor Freight makes a good tank unit that is often on sale for around $80.
drkchlde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Hey skerr how much of a lift do you have?
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
mavsfan001
1983 CJ7 

Good job on thw wheels they came out nice!! Lots better than rusty chrome!!!!! thumbs up!!!!
mavsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkchlde View Post
I've done a lot of sandblasting restoring vehicles and parts, and I can tell you that if you are going to buy a sandblaster, spend a little more for a pressurized unit. The gravity feed sandblasters don't create enough force to remove paint quickly. The pressurized tanks are just as easy to use (takes slightly longer to put in the sand) but there is a huge difference in pressure. Harbor Freight makes a good tank unit that is often on sale for around $80.
I never have graduated that far, but it sounds like good advice. I'll be adding that to my shop. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichboy View Post
Hey skerr how much of a lift do you have?
RC 2.5"... doing the same on my son's 5. I bought my kit from JCW. I found a much better deal at Morris 4X4 for my son's rig. In fact, better service, quicker parts arrival, better packaging, more parts in the kit... so shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan001 View Post
Good job on thw wheels they came out nice!! Lots better than rusty chrome!!!!! thumbs up!!!!
Thanks. I do appreciate that. Do you think the black rims look okay with the factory color? I'm undecided...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.