Rustoleum Hammered Black? Opinions and thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rustoleum Hammered Black? Opinions and thoughts?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 09-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
HKlassen
1981 CJ7 

Rustoleum Hammered Black? Opinions and thoughts?

I know this is a completely "Personal Preference" topic, but I'm looking for thoughts here. I'm redoing an 81 CJ7. It is a silver color. I'm to the point in my rebuild that has me painting the bumpers, rock sliders, rollbar, etc. I want all these items black, and my goal was a flat black. however, I tried some of the flat black paints and found that they might be difficult to clean, so saw the Rustoleum Hammered Black paint and thought that might be the best of both worlds. It provided a gloss coat, but the hammered texture would knock off some of the shiny appearance.

Having now completed painting the rollbar and the inside of the front fenders (engine bay side) I'm seeing that this black paint isn't quite black. It's a dark gray at best. It looks good, but not quite what I was going for.

I know others have used this, so am wondering how it weathers over time, and what the overall impression of this paint is once it's all together. Does it look black? Or is it really the gray it appears to be? Does it look good?

I'm considering redoing the paint with something else. I'm assuming that I'd now have to sand down the rollbar and start over, or could I just top coat it with something less shiny, and more black (I don't want a glossy paint because that's not the look I'm going for, and of course it shows every imperfection).

Opinions appreciated. Including pictures of what you've done, and products that you've used for the topcoat. Thanks

Unread 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I used it on my bumpers, winch mount, and various suspension parts. For a rattle can, I've been impressed with the durability after 2 years.

Matt
bumper.jpg   winchredo.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
HKlassen
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I used it on my bumpers, winch mount, and various suspension parts. For a rattle can, I've been impressed with the durability after 2 years.

Matt
Matt, it looks great in these pictures. Any chance you have some pictures from further back so I can see it with the entire jeep? I'm just trying to figure out if it looks black when compared against the body, or if the GRAY is still noticeable.

In your opinion, when taken as a full package... does it look black?
Unread 09-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Looks black to me....

Matt
restored1.jpg   newmeats3.jpg   tiretuck1.jpg  
winterlook.jpg

Unread 09-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
HKlassen
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Looks black to me....

Matt
Yes it does... It looks great! Beautiful Jeep!

One more question, when you look at them next to something pure black, can you see the difference? Just wondering if I'm imagining things when I'm looking at this in my garage...
Unread 09-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
coxhaus
1979 CJ7 

It looks good to me Matt. I need to paint my bumpers also. I probably won't make this year before winters sets in but it is on my list for next year. Did you use a Rustoleum rusty primer first?
CJ7 79 258 Clifford Stage II, intake, headers, cam, and head. Weber 38x38 w Cagle, Rancho 2 1/2 body Mallory dist and MSD, dual batteries Ramsey winch T18 Dana 20 with Teraflex gears AMC 20 ARB disc Dana 30 Lockright Aero 26 gal tank Tomken Machine bumpers and swing out spare tire. 33" procomp Xterrain tires.
coxhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxhaus View Post
It looks good to me Matt. I need to paint my bumpers also. I probably won't make this year before winters sets in but it is on my list for next year. Did you use a Rustoleum rusty primer first?
No, most of the stuff I painted with it had little to no rust on it. I just cleaned everything well with lacquer thinner, scuffed up the old paint with a Scotch Brite pad, wiped with lac thinner again, then sprayed away.

Matt
Unread 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

I used it on my rear bumper/tire carrier on my 79' and also on the frame and various brackets on my 77'. It's durable for a spray can but it is definitely not black. It does have a grayish tint to it and it will fade slightly over time.
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8ya View Post
I used it on my rear bumper/tire carrier on my 79' and also on the frame and various brackets on my 77'. It's durable for a spray can but it is definitely not black. It does have a grayish tint to it and it will fade slightly over time.
Agreed, but it is close enough that no one would point it out. I did front and rear bumpers with the hammered finish and it did not swear at my POR and black top-coated frame at all.

I'm sure there are some pics on my build thread.
Unread 09-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Duplicate post
Unread 09-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I think you are right... it is more of a charcoal gray color than true black. It is pretty glossy but the texture does help minimize the reflections. Can't say how it holds up over the long term (only had it on my bumpers/roll bar/sliders for a couple of years but so far so good). Sliders get scratched pretty frequently and the hammered finish makes it easy to touch up without repainting the whole piece.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

I have used it and have been pretty happy with it. It seems tougher than regular rustoleum. They have some other textured paints that works pretty well also. I used the textured sand paint for a lamp and it came out great and has held up very well.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

I used the brush on hammered black and the silver on a project from quart cans, I am very happy with it, it is not jet black.......but still looks good and is close to black.......I used the black crinkle paint on my hood hinges and you can tell a difference in the 2 blacks.

It has been on the inner fenders and firewall for almost 7 years and still looks good.......it does however in my opinion seem a little more brittle of a paint than I would like....maybe there is a additive to elasticize it a little more.....but then you would lose some abrasion durability.

All in all for 10 bucks a quart it is very hard to beat.....

I also used the rusty metal primer on a few parts of the truck project about 7 years ago, also the metal was not rusty, just used as a primer as it has amazing rust preventative properties......I put it on a bare metal scrap fender that has been sitting out in just the rusty metal primer and there is zero rust on it or under it as I sanded some off of a spot just to check.

I also sprayed the rustoleum gloss white on the roof of the cab and it has held up better than I had hoped for.......outstanding for a 10 dollar quart of paint you are supposed to brush on home do it yourself projects.......I have not been disappointed in any of their products....customer service was also great as I had some questions about mixing etc and the guy at customer service was nice and transferred me directly to someone who knew what was happening, told him what I was doing and he gave recommendations.

My conversation actually led to some of the directions for mixing/thinning that are now on the can, that were not on there before talking with him.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #14
cj5orion
1980 CJ5 

used it for years...
always too "shiny" though
rollbar,bumpers,frame,step bars etc
finally did a "o reillys" brand bed liner real happy with that
9-13-2014-013-640x480-.jpg

cj5orion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

I love it, it a great paint. I have it on my winch next to a power coated black rock bumper and it looks fine. BUT if you want true black and didn't like flat black, just use satin black, a nice compromise between gloss and flat. Spray or brush on, Rustoleum of course. Unless you want to go with automotive paint. Brush on will of course give you a much greater mill thickness and result in a more "heavy duty" finish.
img_7571.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.