Rusted U-Bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rusted U-Bolts

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-29-2005, 07:09 AM   #1
bosrover

Rusted U-Bolts

As i was inspecting for rust on my recently purchased cj i noticed the worst rusted area were the u-bolts at the leaf spring/axle. Actually the nuts and washers are the most rusted. I looked on Quadritec and found a new set of u-bolts with nuts and washers for around $60. Not too bad a price. My question is, what is the best way to get the rusted nut and washers off. Most are so badly rusted that they are pealing in layers. I dont think i could get a socket wrench on them. Should i just cut the u-bolt in half with a cutting wheel? Also, do i have to jack the jeep up if i only do one u-bolt at a time? Thanks.

bosrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2005, 07:13 AM   #2
schmoken

Get whatever socket fits tight and beat it on with a hammer then get your breaker bar and get after it. Those old rusty ubolts will snap no problem.
schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Don't spend 60 bucks on U-bolts when you're more than likely to buy a lift kit in the near future that will have all of that new hardware included.
Unread 03-29-2005, 07:54 AM   #4
bosrover

it actually does have a lift kit on it. i think it is like a 2" lift kit. not sure what brand. maybe a rancho because that is what the shocks are. everything else looks ok. a little rust on the leaf springs. i am just worried about the u-bolts.
Unread 03-29-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Mike86CJ7
1986 CJ7 

Just cut 'em off. No amount of PB Blaster and the world's longest "cheater bar" couldn't break the ubolts loose when I put my lift on. A few minutes with a cut off wheel in the angle grinder and they were off.
Unread 03-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
killersheep

Just helped a freind pu a 4 1/2" lift on his jeep. Put it on jack stands and cut the u bolts in the center on top of the shaft with a cutter and they will fall right off. My theory is if you aren't keeping them - cut'em off.
86 CJ7 Laredo- '98 4.0L , '94 Fuel Injection and Electronics, 2 1/2" skyjacker, 3/4" Rock Crusher shackle , 1" body lift, T5, DANA 300, D30 front w/Aussie locker , amc 20 rear w/Aussie locker and Moser axles, 3.31 gears, and 32" BFG MT's.
killersheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #7
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

"Cut me, Mick..."

Don't waste your time fighting to unbolt stuff that you're just going to toss in the garbage.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
bosrover

alright so i will cut the u-bolts off with a grinder/cutter. one last question, my drive way is gravel and i have no garage. therefore it will be a bit of a problem putting it on jack stands. i was hoping i could leave on the ground and cut one u-bolt off, install the new one, and then cut the next one off, install, etc. will this be possible or is there too much force on the bolt. if that doesnt work i suppose i will have to get some jack stands and work in the street. just dont want somebody hitting the jeep while i am underneath it.
Unread 03-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
Mike86CJ7
1986 CJ7 

Place a piece of 3/4" plywood under the jack stands. Just make sure you give the Jeep a good shake to make sure it's secure before heading under it. I've done this in the past on grass and it works well.
Unread 04-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #10
bosrover

What size jack stands would i need? Not sure how much the CJ weighs or what weight capacity stands are required. Thanks
Unread 04-07-2005, 07:27 AM   #11
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosrover
What size jack stands would i need? Not sure how much the CJ weighs or what weight capacity stands are required. Thanks
For jeeps (and every other 4wd that I would work on) I would definatley recommend the 6 Ton jack stands. The weight is not the issue. The six tons are high enough to get the jeep in the air.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Agree with MXG. 6 ton jackstands would cover you for sure. You can never have one that is too strong Jackstands For $35 you can't go wrong if you ask me.

As for the U-bolts, see if there is a spring shop around you. Alot of times they can make them for you pretty cheap. I got some made for 22 bucks for all 4.
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.