rusted nuts on shackle hangers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Robbies79
1979 CJ7 

rusted nuts on shackle hangers

First off I'm new, here here's what i got '79 cj7 tore down to frame [i think this is going to be more than i thought] want to do a frame off restoration so i'm starting with frame going to sand blast and paint with por15 ordered 4.5" rubicon express lift and warrior shackle hangers but on 1 side the nuts on inside of frame rail the one at the rear is rusted out and gone and the other side i had to cut the old one off with torch and looks like the nuts are in bad shape to can i cut them off and weld in a washer and nut or what any help would be apprecaited and i sure i'm going to need a lot more thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 06:07 AM
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Before you go any further, I would suggest investigating if the Frame itself is rusted from the inside to point of failure. Mike Romain (a poster here) just had part of his frame literally break off.

Bruce
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Robbies79
1979 CJ7 

looks like the frame is good except for that i had to cut rear crossmember off because body mounts were rusted out and that's when i seen other just wondering if any body else had this problem and how they fixed it,thanks

post #4 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Robbies79
1979 CJ7 

help

anything
post #5 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

I used SlickRock hangers on my project. They are attached with bolts that go through the frame into a plate with nuts welded onto it. So, to answer your question, you can fab up a different way to attach them.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #6 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Both nuts on both hanger mounts on mine are rusted all to hell as well. Does anybody see any problems with gusseting the factory hangers and just welding them to frame and getting rid of the nuts and bolts?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 PM
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Both nuts on both hanger mounts on mine are rusted all to hell as well. Does anybody see any problems with gusseting the factory hangers and just welding them to frame and getting rid of the nuts and bolts?
Works fine as long as you are confident in your welds and don't need to take them off anytime soon.

PO welded front and back hangers to one of my CJ's, haven't had nor do I foresee any problems with this until I need to take off the front ones to install 2.5" springs. Even then, nothing an angle grinder can't handle in a few minutes.

If it is a weldable metal attached to a like piece of metal that doesn't need to move, then I see no reason why it can't be welded instead of bolted or riveted. In aerospace applications and planes/submersibles, it matters because metals need to expand/contract, but in a 25 year old Jeep that has been held together by rust and paint for the last several years, a weld is a hell of a lot better than that rotted out nut was doing for ya.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 AM
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Ya thats kind of what I figured, I'll let you know how it turns out
post #9 of 9 Old 03-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Ones&Zeros
1985 CJ7 

I just went through this very thing with my frame. Several of the nutserts that are inside the frame rail were rusted and came loose. I ended up drilling a small hole on opposite ends of the bolt hole so that I could weld a serrated flange nut on the inside of the frame. If you have to replace your rear cross member, you could address the nut problem when the cross member is off. Otherwise, you won't be able to access it easily. I recommend checking all of your nutserts throughout the frame before you apply the POR-15. It might keep you from having to redo some of your work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.