Rust Removal - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rust Removal

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 11-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #16
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

I don't have a clue as to all the physics above, bit I'm with Matt on the phosphoric acid product. I have used it exclusively and have been very happy first on the engine and drive train then body and accessories. I now keep a bottle for general home use and to lend to friends who don't know about it.

Unread 03-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #17
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

my brother-in-law told me to get "De-natured Alcohol" and spray that on the area that you wire wheel rust off of... I haven't tried it yet so we will see if it does anything.
smbundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #18
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post
my brother-in-law told me to get "De-natured Alcohol" and spray that on the area that you wire wheel rust off of... I haven't tried it yet so we will see if it does anything.
Alcohol absorbs an amazing amount of water, I sure wouldn't be using it on raw steel. I would be expecting it to cause rust. Could be wrong, but.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
1983 CJ7 

I took my entire CJ down to bare metal between 2008-2010 using wire wheels, flap discs, medial blasting and some secret voodoo chit an old man told me about.

Coated everything with SPI epoxy primer and most everything was stored inside my house.

Followed it up with 2K primer, Evercoat filler and finished with PPG DBC base and SPI Universal Clear.

All mainstream good work procedures as far as I know.

Both front fenders have rust returning and I had access to *both* sides of the fenders. I was not surprised to see a rust bubble on the windshield frame and the rear of the tub below the tailgate where I did not have access to the back side of the metal. The fenders on the other hand should not have rust returning this soon. I have thought about this for a few years and want to take additional steps to prevent this on the Cherokee.

Based on what I have read, I believe I should have used a rust converter on the metal prior to priming.

Further, I think it would be important to coat the back side of the metal wherever possible, the A-pillars on the Cherokee are a major concern for me. I am planning to load a rust converter in a chemical sprayer, the air pressurized insecticide/herbicide type and spray the inaccessible spaces. In the A-pillars, I may have to swap the wand tip to a hose and feed it into the pillar but I will make sure that converter is running out and puddling on the floor or the ground before I call it good.
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.