Rust Prevention - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rust Prevention

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
CompGuru
1983 CJ7 

Rust Prevention

Ok. If this is a repost then forgive me. I'm not doing too well with the search thing. I noticed some rust underneath my 1983 Jeep CJ7. It's not major but I want to prevent it if possible. I found some stuff called "Rust Killer" It is a coating that neutralizes the rust and dries to be a rust preventor. Does anyone know of anything better. I have heard of POR15 but it sounds labor intensive but I don't know much more than that. Thanks for the help in advance.

CompGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The amount of rust will dictate what steps can be taken. Are we talking a little surface rust? Some scaling?... or big rotten holes?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
solitudetree

With any type of rust prevention material like por15, durabak, rhinolining, etc the major key is prep, prep and more prep. It may be labor intensive but the more time you spend in prep, the better the rust prevention material will work.
75 Jeep Wagoneer 360V8
79 Jeep Cherokee 258 six
[/FONT][/COLOR]
solitudetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
CompGuru
1983 CJ7 

Well I found the plate behind the passenger rear wheel has a few holes in but the rest of the rust is surface. I haven't checked ALL of the underside. The interior is already rhinolined.

Team Rush, Halogen Headlights, Nutter Bypass, more to come...

"There is no mechanical problem too tough that cannot be fixed by brute strength and ignorance."

"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic."
CompGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompGuru
Well I found the plate behind the passenger rear wheel has a few holes in but the rest of the rust is surface. I haven't checked ALL of the underside. The interior is already rhinolined.
Almost guaranteed there's a lot more rust where that came from. Sorry, but the best way to fix this is the get it exposed by removing the paint....grinding or sandblasting....then cut the bad areas out and replace them.

Anything else is just a temporary patch.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Jewmonty
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompGuru
Ok. If this is a repost then forgive me. I'm not doing too well with the search thing. I noticed some rust underneath my 1983 Jeep CJ7. It's not major but I want to prevent it if possible. I found some stuff called "Rust Killer" It is a coating that neutralizes the rust and dries to be a rust preventor. Does anyone know of anything better. I have heard of POR15 but it sounds labor intensive but I don't know much more than that. Thanks for the help in advance.
I have a thread running with basically the same questions you have here. Can anyone here help the two of us out. I don't have holes or significant rust. I just want step by step instructions on how to clean and prep the problem areas, what to use (Por 15), and how to finish it up. Please post some step by steps for us guys .....Thanks

My thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rust-how-do-i-deal-443317/
rust.jpg   rust2.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.