Rust Bucket for a Tub. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rust Bucket for a Tub.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
Jeaux

Rust Bucket for a Tub.

I bought this 1980 CJ5 for $1,100 sight unseen. The pictures looked OK but when it was delivered....WOW.
The tub has holes everywhere. Someone in the past has covered it with fiberglass which is coming back up.
Should I?
A) Lay down more fiberglass over the old stuff?
B) Remove old stuff and lay down new fiberglass?
C) Buy those floor panels from (Who?) and have someone weld them in.

The whole bottom needs to be redone.
Your opinion is appreciated.

Last edited by Jeaux; 01-12-2010 at 08:04 AM..
Jeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You don't give the year or any other details, but lots of times just getting a replacement used or even new tub is cheaper that having someone else weld the old one back up. If you do the welding yourself, then the 'Many' hours of labour are basically free, hiring it out, well....

Mine was like you describe, nice pretty skins with layers of glass and tar holding them on, no metal left in the floors. I went with a fiberglass tub and one piece front clip back in 99/00 and love it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Jeaux

Is it as strong as the metal? And you paid what for these kits? $5 to 7,000 total?
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
Is it as strong as the metal? And you paid what for these kits? $5 to 7,000 total?
I think the one I got is as strong as a steel tub and maybe even more forgiving. Check out the photo albums in my sig line link, mine is the white CJ7. It has been rubber side up a couple times and has had/lost several fights with trees and only cracked the door post just below the windshield mount and a slight seamsealer crack at the floor to firewall seam with a headlight bezel cracked. I would consider it has had 'hard' use for 10 years. Just put a new frame, wires and plumbing in it and hope to get another 10+ out of it.

I got mine up here in Canada made locally. It has 1" waterproof plywood in the floors and diamond plate sandwiched in the firewall for the brake and steering reinforcement. I have lost track of the gent who made them though due to a harddrive letting the magic smoke out with all my email contacts gone. His prices were great. I paid $2000.00 Canadian for the tub, a one piece front clip and a new steel windshield frame. The best part was 'everything' original Jeep fit right on, from my chrome Laredo grill insert to the hard and soft doors and tops.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Jeaux

Wow what a good price. I have seen nothing that cheap and with a 1" flooring that does sound good to me too. My concern was laying new fiberglass over the old stuff and If i remove the old stuff i whill have to build a mold for underneith to hold the fiber up while drying and will this stuff stick good to metal?
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
Wow what a good price. I have seen nothing that cheap and with a 1" flooring that does sound good to me too. My concern was laying new fiberglass over the old stuff and If i remove the old stuff i whill have to build a mold for underneith to hold the fiber up while drying and will this stuff stick good to metal?
Well mine was real 'pretty' and someone did a lot of work to make it that way with the glass floors and steel skins.

When I went to pull it off, I used a convenient tree with a come-a-long hand winch attached to the roll bar to lift it off. I wish I had of gotten photos... The tailgate fell on the ground, the floors fell out, the front cowl flopped forward onto the ground and I was left with a roll bar and two fenders hanging in the tree.....

The glass didn't stick to the old rusty metal at all it would seem and they used tar to try and glue it/ hold it back on.
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Jeaux

How funny but That's what I wanted to know.
Thanks
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

I'd replace the tub personally...

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.