"Rush" no go WTF? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > "Rush" no go WTF?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
bkkiwi
1983 CJ7 

"Rush" no go WTF?

So... did the rush ignition thing... now I get nothing, little back fire and that's it.

Questions...is it right to put the new rotor in the same position of the old one? Along with the cap?
And what coil wire should I use neither fit (old/new)?
Does timing need adjusted?
Do I need to find TDC and put rotor on?

When I get doing being frustrated (like tomorrow), I'll put the stock stuff back on.

Am I missing something? I thought this was a plug and play deal?
83 CJ with 79 motor-all stock.

bkkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Put the engine at TDC (#1 compression stroke). MAKE SURE THE SPARK PLUG WIRES ARE IN THE CORRECT ORDER. You shouldn't have to disconnect the coil or replace it. Start the engine and set timing. With the simplest Team Rush upgrade, all you are doing is replacing the cap, rotor and spark plug wires.
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

So how do you know it's not working if you can't hook up the coil?

You don't have to pull the distributor for the team rush. Pull the old plug wires, cap and rotor. Put the new cap spacer, rotor and cap on and then the new plug wires (make sure you have them in the correct order). That's it.

I'm in my phone so I don't feel like looking it up but I think there is an adapter harness for using the stock canister coil with the team rush stuff. Try checking MSD's web site.

Also, you may want to look into doing a stealth hei to go with your team rush. No telling how long the stock ignition module will last after the TR.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1
Put the engine at TDC (#1 compression stroke). MAKE SURE THE SPARK PLUG WIRES ARE IN THE CORRECT ORDER. You shouldn't have to disconnect the coil or replace it. Start the engine and set timing. With the simplest Team Rush upgrade, all you are doing is replacing the cap, rotor and spark plug wires.
The TR cap uses a different style of plug wire, so the coil does need to be disconnected. I'd suggest the OP google "team rush with stock coil". I bet that will answer their questions.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
bkkiwi
1983 CJ7 

Yeah, I either need to get a Ford 300 coil or a different wire. I just made one fit, that might be the problem.

I 'll double check everything again. I've replaced stock components a few times, I know it's stupid simple, but ?

Thanks.
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Hurricane4

Maybe this is what you are looking for. Check out this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/79...lease-1289029/

My post quoted from page 2:

FYI - I also ordered this from Summit Racing to avoid splicing the coil wire to
the OEM style coil:

MSD Ignition 84039 - MSD 8.5mm Replacement Coil Wires
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-84039/
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
bkkiwi
1983 CJ7 

Got it. Had to read thru a few things and get my head out of my a55. I had the plug wires one off on the cap

The caps don't line up exactly, yada, yada.... I'm stupid.
She fired right up once I had it sorted!

Still gonna get either a wire or coil, regap plugs and generally clean things up a bit.

Thanks again.
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Hurricane4

Hey if that is the worst thing you screw up on your CJ . . .

Glad to hear you sorted it out. Keep her runnin'.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.