Runs out of gas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Runs out of gas?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-23-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
uda-man

Runs out of gas?

My 84 Scrambler runs great. It has the 258 with a juice box, and the Carter BBD carburetor. The problem is when it sits for a very long period of time, 10 hours or more. When I start the jeep it starts right up, but then after about 10 to 15 seconds it dies. it acts like it has run out of gas. I usually have to spray some starting fluid in the carburetor several times to get it to stay running. Does anyone have any ideas?

uda-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2003, 11:33 AM   #2
wm69

It's your carb. I think it might be the float sticking..? Mine did this several years ago and putting a new weber on it fixed the problem. I rebuilt the bbd 3 or 4 times and was just sick of it. I think my mechanic said the float was hung up and keeping gas from getting into the jets, but it's been a long time ago so I don't know if that makes sense or not (I don't know much about the bbd except that it's a piece of crap) Might be the fuel pump too. If the gas is running back down in the lnes all the way to tank, it would cause the jeep to be starved for gas until you turn it over enough to get the pump to pull it back to the carb, right? Just something else to look at.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
Greezy Gringo

I second that. I had the same problem with the carter a couple months ago. I put a good weber k551-38 in it and it runs soo much better. I bought it from Collins Bros. Jeeps off Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2438803556

Combine it with a new intake manifold and exhaust headers from Clifford and you can get alot more power out of your rig.

http://cliffordperformanceshop.com/c...ng_1699250.htm
http://cliffordperformanceshop.com/c...58_1710643.htm

Have fun
Unread 10-23-2003, 03:42 PM   #4
uda-man

I replaced the fuel pump last week, but it didn't help. If the float is sticking, wouldn't I have trouble more often? I would love to get a Weber and new manifolds, but I'm married with children.
uda-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2003, 04:55 PM   #5
Renegade_Rick

If you can't get your carter BBD fixed cheaply then look for a nice used BBD. Ebay maybe? The best thing you can do to a 258 is to get a new aftermarket carb or fuel injection. A lot of people swap out perfectly good BBD carbs so you might be able to find one that works good really cheap. If you don't have the cash for a webber then you don't I know how it go's. Start saving your penny's and dimes for one though. The intake and headers are just icing on the cake.

R

1999, Sport, 4-door, 4L-I6, AW4 auto, np231, 8.25 rear, dana 30 h-p.

BFG T/A KO P235 tires, KC 130w slimline lights, skid-row t-case skid more to come!
Renegade_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by uda-man
I replaced the fuel pump last week, but it didn't help. If the float is sticking, wouldn't I have trouble more often? I would love to get a Weber and new manifolds, but I'm married with children.
Like I said, I don't remember exactly what was wrong, but at that point I was so fed up with that piece of ***** carb that I got a weber and it fixed the problem. You don't have to get a new manifold or header (they're nice, but not a must have). Get a weber for $300 or look post asking about the motorcraft 2100 swap over (little more stuff to do, but cheaper). I spent over $100 each time to get my carter "fixed" (rebuilt), so after several times, I would have been better off just getting the weber to start with. I've had it for over 5 years now and have had no problems with it.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.