running pig rich... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > running pig rich...

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 10-26-2003, 03:56 PM   #1
NJCJ7

running pig rich...

for those of you who read my starting problem thread, i originally suspected a continual flooding problem, cause the carb is DUMPING fuel into the intake at a ridiculous rate. I suspect the carb, except i am fairly certain that the previous owner had it rebuilt right before he took it off the road. It had sat for 4 years, so who knows what's gummed up in there. Before I run out and buy a reman'd though, i'd like to know what else could cause it to run so rich.

Pieces of my pulse air system are still in place, but for the most part it's disintegrated and inoperative, if that matters. It's a 258 auto with original Carter bbd. Any sensors or something that could cause the super rich condition? Thanks!

Unread 10-26-2003, 04:38 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

the float needle seat could have a small piece of debris in it, causing the bowl to flood.....that happened to me, till I took it apart and found the small rust/metal from the tank...it too was sitting for a while.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #3
ImNotRyan

it is common knowledge all carter BBD's on 258's have a tendency to develop crack's in their venturi's causing it to drip fuel into the cylinders, causing it to not idle, rough starting, and ofcourse running "pig" rich... if your sticking with the 258, its my recomendation you look into other carburator options, such as weber... along with fixing this problem you will find more power and better fuel economy with virtually all the other options. the carter BBD is considered the worst carb you can fit on the 258 - in terms of everything. simplicity, economy, performance, reliability....

Last edited by ImNotRyan; 10-26-2003 at 04:52 PM..
ImNotRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2003, 06:47 PM   #4
NJCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotRyan
it is common knowledge all carter BBD's on 258's have a tendency to develop crack's in their venturi's causing it to drip fuel into the cylinders, causing it to not idle, rough starting, and ofcourse running "pig" rich... if your sticking with the 258, its my recomendation you look into other carburator options, such as weber... along with fixing this problem you will find more power and better fuel economy with virtually all the other options. the carter BBD is considered the worst carb you can fit on the 258 - in terms of everything. simplicity, economy, performance, reliability....
That's interesting, i definitely saw some odd fuel drippage at one point...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.