Running defroster ducting from a Flex-alite- Mojave heater - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Running defroster ducting from a Flex-alite- Mojave heater

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
mulliflier
1984 CJ7 

Running defroster ducting from a Flex-alite- Mojave heater

Fellas,

Does the defroster in a regular CJ just blow air through th educt in the top of the body tub, fill the windshield frame and then out the diffuser?

The reason I ask, I installed a flex-a-lite Mojave heater in my CJ7, aluminum tub (haven't cut the holes yet for the defroster just behind the dash.)

The output is a 1.5" or 2" round on the heater plenum. The plastic defroster duct-to-body piece has an oval input. And, I only have 1 of them.

Since I haven't cut the holes in the body yet, I could just cut round holes, run round flexible hose off the plenum and split it, then run round house to the tub, and fasten it down with a pvc adapter or something.

Plus, don't you have to cut opening in the windshield-to-tub gasket for the air to flow through?

Anyone install a Mojave and have some good tips? I've searched the forum pretty well, and there is quite a bit on the summit racing heater and a few mentions of the Mojave, but no real details on what folks did for defrost ducting.

Thanks

mulliflier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, that is how the CJ defrost works.

If it was me, and I was starting from Scratch, I would not use the original defrost duct with the oval connection. I would use some fabbing that would allow me to connect the round defrost tubed directly to the tub. Cut out round holes in the tub and then box it off with foam weather strip to contain it to the windshield.
You might want to attach your hoses before putting the dash on.

The guy who mounted my windshield on the tub put the holes in the wrong place and I had to box off my defrost ducts to get the air moving into the windshield. You could actually feel the air leaking out between the window frame and the tub before I boxed it in with foam weather stripping.

The windshield gasket already has cutouts to match the opening in the windshield.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

I'm using the stock heater, but I had to route the defroster hoses different,cause of my gauge layout, just used one piece of spa tubing from lowes, tacked a piece of metal on to hold the tubing up, cut the slots,little silicone, works good, real good now that I did the blowermotor upgrade. You can see in the pic the windshield gasket is cut for defroster. Hope this might help.
053.jpg  
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
mulliflier
1984 CJ7 

excellent, thanks, I will stick with round then., and just put round holes in the tub and go from there. Makes life easier in so many ways - now I can just use a hole saw. I just hope the little Mojave actually puts out some heat; I think I would have gone with the Summit but I didn't live in CO back then...

Thanks guys. I'll post images when I install the duct, in case anyone else ends up serarching for Mojave.
mulliflier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Jp78cj5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
I'm using the stock heater, but I had to route the defroster hoses different,cause of my gauge layout, just used one piece of spa tubing from lowes, tacked a piece of metal on to hold the tubing up, cut the slots,little silicone, works good, real good now that I did the blowermotor upgrade. You can see in the pic the windshield gasket is cut for defroster. Hope this might help.
That is why I read as many posts as I can. I have gauge/heater duct issues and have not put the brain cells together to fix it and your solution is spot on. Thanks
Jp78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliflier View Post
I just hope the little Mojave actually puts out some heat; I think I would have gone with the Summit but I didn't live in CO back then...
The Mojave puts out 12,000 BTU and the Heatercraft/Moab sold by Summit puts out 28,000 BTU. You could probably sell your Mojave to someone in a warmer state and recoup some of your investment and then buy the Moab heater.
Unread 10-15-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
Fins
1980 CJ7 

Yep, the heater craft puts out more but if your duct work is the original oval stuff you'll still be using a squeegee on the inside of the windshield in wet weather.
Fins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

The heater craft works great for me. I bought the one that comes with the extra plenum box and vents. Off the main heater core one hose goes to the standard plastic defrost duct and the other hose goes to the vent plenum. I get a little fog on the passenger side, but for the most part my windshield stays clear. I do have to turn it down sometimes or it gets too hot.
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins View Post
Yep, the heater craft puts out more but if your duct work is the original oval stuff you'll still be using a squeegee on the inside of the windshield in wet weather.
why?
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well I do know that if the lower drain in the heater box gets plugged, you will be spraying water through the heating system.

There are two water/rain drains in the heating system, one in the plenum and one in the heater box.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.