running brake lines on the frame... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > running brake lines on the frame...

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

running brake lines on the frame...

Hi all,

I have a question as to where to run this brake line on my '78 cj7. The line is a prebent line from inlinetube.com It is the front to rear line and I cant seem to figure out where it goes in relation to the middle crossmember.

Here are some pics of it wrapping over the crossmember. Is this correct or does it somehow go below the crossmember? Will it hit the body once mounted if it is running over the crossmember?

Thanks

I tried to search for pics but I can't find any in the forum, and the Haynes manual doesn't have a diagram.

kconnor123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
lcampbell89

Don't know if this helps or not? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ru...alves-1517263/

Edit again oh and this: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...-Project/page2

I just googled cj7 proportioning valve and it came up in images.

EDIT Curious did they give you something to attach the brake lines to the frame with?
lcampbell89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

Yeah, I looked at keiths but his is an 82+ so he doesn't have a middle crossmember and his line goes to the rear crossmember.

But in one link, it appears that the lines are ok to run over the parking brake mount and the crossmember. So I think I'm going over the crossmember.

Thanks!
Unread 03-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcampbell89 View Post
EDIT Curious did they give you something to attach the brake lines to the frame with?

You can get a clip set from inlinetube, its like 8 bucks, but I just bought the same generic 1/4" clips at napa for like 5 bucks a set or something that are fine. They are just P clips and my c clips I still had from the teardown, I just sandblasted them and POR'd 'em.
Unread 03-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
lcampbell89

Did you have any issues getting your proportioning valve off? I think I am going to have to cut my bolts at this point.
lcampbell89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I just went out and looked under my '79 CJ7 and that IS where the brake line AND 2 fuel lines run. They are held by a metal bracket, bolted to the frame, over the top of the 3 lines. There is a good 1 1/2"- 2" between the lines and the bottom of the tub (and my body mounts are a bit worn).
Unread 03-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcampbell89 View Post
Did you have any issues getting your proportioning valve off? I think I am going to have to cut my bolts at this point.
Not when the frame so rusty around the proportioning valve that the two screws on the valve pulls right through the frame!

Here is my cut and fix......

Unread 03-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
I just went out and looked under my '79 CJ7 and that IS where the brake line AND 2 fuel lines run. They are held by a metal bracket, bolted to the frame, over the top of the 3 lines. There is a good 1 1/2"- 2" between the lines and the bottom of the tub (and my body mounts are a bit worn).
Yeah, thought maybe they did It just looks funny being the only thing running on top of the frame. Thanks for that Dngrs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.