Rugged ridge HD steering mount cirisis! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rugged ridge HD steering mount cirisis!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Rugged ridge HD steering mount cirisis!

Okay so I just upgraded my stock steering box to a J10 variable ratio box which is physically exactly the same to my old box. And have now installed it with the new RR hd mount, as you can see in the pictures the box angle has somehow changed now causing the bell coupler and steering shaft to contact the radiator hose and the metal outlet for the coolant. Seems to me the box needs to pivot down 1/2'' inch or so. But the RR mount has no play at all to even remotely try to fix this problem, I assume the new mount is the problem since the boxes are identical.
I have since received another RR hd mount from quadratec thinking the mount was screwed up but have compared it to my current one and they are exactly the same... this is absolutely killing me. I guess I am now going to have to put the crappy stock 3 piece mount back until I can either figure this out or return them and try a different brand.

Also I apoligize if the pics are a little big and a few kbs over the size limit.

dsc00598.jpg   dsc00600.jpg   dsc00601.jpg   dsc00604.jpg  
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
1983 CJ7 

I installed the same mount on mine but the tub and front clip are not installed. Are there multiple holes in the radiator flange or the grill to move it up an inch?
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

When I put my PSC variable box in with a MORE mount, I had to raise the radiator about an inch. Fortunately for me a PO had drilled more than one set of holes in the radiator mounting flanges.

(Edit)

I did have plenty of room to move it up though. My radiator was actually sitting on the PS lines coming out of the gear.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Jason790812
1981 CJ7 

1" body lift, cheap and you win more lift plus your steering issue is fixed, or send the Rugged Ridge back and try something else. I just put a Rocktite HD bracket on mine, but since I don't have the engine back in yet I don't know about clearance. If I have an issue I'll be buying a 1" body though.
Jason790812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

2X
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.