rubicon express really the best?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > rubicon express really the best??

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
redneckk5
1983 CJ7 

rubicon express really the best??

I want to remove the spring over lift on my 83 CJ7. Axle wrap has always been an issue and i want to replace those worn out springs. I will be returning to spring under. Is the RE 4.5 extreame duty really worth the money. Hows the ride compared to other manufacturers kits. Anyone run other lift kits and then the RE.

Unread 08-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I think it's completeness makes it worth the money. By the time you buy all the other things that are provided with this kit, it won't be that much more.

I also like the 2.5" front springs.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
smokedog
1984 CJ7 

Sounds like a lot of trouble to me. Why not install a rear traction bar and eliminate the axle wrap? I have had zero problems with mine. Just my .02...

84' CJ7 Renegade - Tungsten grey metallic paint, 388ci Chevy, 700r4, D300, SOA lift with YJ springs, 1" body lift, Bilstein 5150 shocks, Currie Rock Crawler Shackles, Trussed Ford 9 Rear w/ 4:56 gears, Detroit lockers, Dana 44 front, full poison spyder cage and lots of chrome and stainless.
smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
redneckk5
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedog View Post
Sounds like a lot of trouble to me. Why not install a rear traction bar and eliminate the axle wrap? I have had zero problems with mine. Just my .02...
I really dont have the space under the jeep for the traction bar to fit the way i would like. I have dual flowmasters in the way and dont want to change the exhaust (vortec sounds to good). Also wanting to get rid of the worn out old springs.
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
jooper84

I generally agree with gojeepin. You get everything you need and most of what you get is above average quality in the RE kits. If you don't mind shopping around I found that a guy can get exactly the parts he wants and needs and spend considerably less than any of the quality kits. For example, I put BDS 3.5" CJ lift springs on the rear of my CJ7 and 3" Black Diamond YJ springs on the front. New plates, U-bolts, and shackles (that leveled out the difference in springs), extended brake lines, and shocks for just a little over $500. The YJ springs really softened the ride and it flexes as well as any I've seen. Most of the parts I found on sale or on clearance from the major suppliers. Just took a little time to source it all.
jooper84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
redneckk5
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooper84 View Post
I generally agree with gojeepin. You get everything you need and most of what you get is above average quality in the RE kits. If you don't mind shopping around I found that a guy can get exactly the parts he wants and needs and spend considerably less than any of the quality kits. For example, I put BDS 3.5" CJ lift springs on the rear of my CJ7 and 3" Black Diamond YJ springs on the front. New plates, U-bolts, and shackles (that leveled out the difference in springs), extended brake lines, and shocks for just a little over $500. The YJ springs really softened the ride and it flexes as well as any I've seen. Most of the parts I found on sale or on clearance from the major suppliers. Just took a little time to source it all.
Now im thinking about just buying the springs from RE since I already have most of the other parts installed with the SOA. Im just concerned with the ride quality since my CJ sees alot of street and highway use.
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
jooper84

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckk5 View Post
Now im thinking about just buying the springs from RE since I already have most of the other parts installed with the SOA. Im just concerned with the ride quality since my CJ sees alot of street and highway use.
Look into putting YJ width springs (2.5" wide) up front. It's an easy conversion and pays off in spades with ride quality. I've never met anyone who's done it that doesn't love it.
jooper84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

bds springs are fantastic as well.
Unread 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Rob55
1984 CJ7 

I am running the RE 4.5" lift, the PO had installed the 2.5" kit when I bought it so I just bought the RE springs and a couple of bits. RE will sell any part in the kit as well (spring plates and shackles will probably be needed). The RE springs are built like YJ units (wider) so the ride is better than some other kits. But most of all their tech support and srvice has been great. I could not get the jeep level with the set they sent me, so after measuring the springs I found one set to be slightly more arched that tne other, I called them and they paid shipping and sent me a new set right away - no questions. I have heard similar stories about BDS. Hope this helps.
1984 CJ7, 258, MPI, 4.0 head, Borla, 700r4, amc20 (detroit), Dana 30 (OX), 4.56 gears, Warn Hubs, Dana 300 with 4:1, 4.5 RE lift with 1" body, Bilsteins, dual battery, PS, PB, full cage, two dogs in the back....
Rob55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
redneckk5
1983 CJ7 

Am I right that only the front springs are 2.5in wide. If so could i expect the same "good ride quality" from the rear springs.
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
bbc
1985 CJ7 

kit comes with 2.5 front/rear i believe.
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.