Rough Running Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rough Running Engine

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-23-2002, 08:32 PM   #1
retnav94

Rough Running Engine

Need some brainstorming. I am limited in my mech knowledge so i would like to throw some things out there for some advice. I bought a 1985 cj7, 258 with everything standard engine-wise. No modifications. I initially drove it, it ran fine for a couple hundred miles. I had a shop look it over, because I heard a knocking. They timmed it and rebuilt the charcoal cannister, and tweeked a couple minor things. I changed the plugs, dist cap, rotor, plug wires and thermostat. I also changed the timming chain/gears, and timmed it to specs. After no more then 30 miles the jeep runs like crap, and sounds even worse. We checked the compression, and all six were good, however, the plugs are black.

I suspect there may be big problems. My question is about the carburetor. If it is shot, would the engine knock badly? I am thinking that is the first thing to check. Also I understand that no after-market carburetor is legal in CA. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Gary

retnav94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2002, 10:15 AM   #2
johny1i

The carburetor won't cause a knocking--symptoms of a bad carb would be more like it won't idle, surging while going down the road, terrible gas mileage, hard to get started in the morning, etc. I know this sounds kind-of dumb, but are you talking about a "tapping" or a sure-enough "knocking"? A tapping could be something as simple as a lifter, which could affect the valve, making the engine feel like it is running on five cylinders/missing, etc. Mine did that for a while because it had been sitting before I bought it, then it got better and now all I hear is an occasional tapping when the engine is cold. However, yes, a knocking could be much worse than that--as in a rod bearing going out. However, the only experience I have with that was an old '65 Impala and it didn't make it more than just a few miles before the engine was shot. Not something that went on for a long time like you're talking about. Mine could have gone all at once, though, so see if anyone else on here has had experience with rod trouble. That's all I know
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2002, 10:17 AM   #3
johny1i

forgot something--how many miles does it have on it? A high mileage engine could have bad rings (too much blow-by), which would explain your fouled-out plugs. This wouldn't cause knocking, but it could all tie in together if the engine is worn out.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2002, 06:55 PM   #4
hollywood

Chect the PCV valve, and the EGR valve - both can cause poor idle and rough running.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.